CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Throttle Body Ground (by loudboxer)

Registered Member

'02 Honda S2000

Throttle Body Ground (by loudboxer)

Grounding the throttle body isn't going to make 'more' power overall, but on some cars it seems to make a huge difference in how quickly you can get to what power's there. In my case, the change in low to mid-throttle, mid rpm driving is significant. Perhaps this changed the torque curves a bit through a more open throttle and more fuel earlier in the rev-range? I dunno. Fifth-gear passing on the freeway is now possible (from 60 to 80 is a snap), rather than having to drop a gear or two. Off-the-line acceleration is much brisker and driving casually around town is silky smooth. It feels like someone dropped a v-6 in my 3. I forgot I had the A/C on as well... My car must have been running like a pile of shit before, never seeming at all happy below 3500-4000rpm. Anyway, I've had a huge smile on my face driving around since this mod.

I've been PM'd about photos, so here goes:

The bits you need. 10gauge 1/4" ring terminals, and 10gauge wire. I just guessed at the amperage though, maybe bigger wire would be safer... After a two-hour commute the wire was barely warm. The throttle body is mounted to a plastic intake, so there's no grounding path other than a small wire in the harness I would suspect.

The path. Pretty simple if you're not too anal about things. The battery-box cover has a slot on the side where the battery-bracket is bolted, just run the wire through there.

The TB. Four 8mm bolts hold the throttle-body to the intake manifold. I used the upper-aft bolt, the lower aft would be more secretive though little harder to get to. Put the bolt back on tight, but don't strip the plastic of the manifold.

The Battery Neg. Run the wire between the ECU box and the battery box, up and around where the bracket bolts. That's a 10mm nut on the battery post. Get it all snug when done.

Enjoy the friskiness.

K&N Drop-In | Spoon X Brace | HKS Hi-Power | Rays VR TE37 + Lugs | Bridgestone RE01-R | Pioneer P6900UB + DCI

What's with you making all sorts of nice writeups

I might try this on my Protege out of boredom, I'll post if it makes a difference or not.

2005 Acura TL

interesting, i may have to re-arrange my 1sty grounding kit a bit, IF this does indeed result in a change. subbin'...
    2005 Acura TL

Quote Originally Posted by MSP#735
    interesting, i may have to re-arrange my 1sty grounding kit a bit, IF this does indeed result in a change. subbin'...
    I'll definitely give it a try this weekend if I can find a store that carries nice wire to use for the job.

Donated: $20

mazda3 5 door

would i get the same effect if i grounded it to the chasis where the neg battery lead goes? i would think so but i have a nice enough looking neg terminal and no more room for wires that big....

Registered Member

'02 Honda S2000

i didn't write this and i was surprised it hasn't been posted before in the how-to so i posted it. Most 3 (and 6) owners who have done it report differences, and the ones that have the most pronounce effect are from the ATX crowd.

For the TBs that are cable-driven, this won't do anything in throttle response, but you get a better ground to your TB tho.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda 3

Yeah its definitely noticable in my ATX 3 it doesnt really help power wise but is definitely more responsive.
    98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your sig

04 MZ3 HB|Microtech EMS & AEM Wideband Air-Fuel Controller Gauge(ON THE WAY)|Simota CF SRI|Custom 2.5" catback|Draxas header|Highflow cat|Srmotorsports underdrive pulleys|SCI BSD|AWR Engine mount|Custom grounding kit|Advanced ignition timing|VCTS removal|OMP strut tower brace|Racing Beat front and rear sways|Racing beat endlinks|Slotted brake rotors|EBC green stuff brake pads|Tien s-techs|CF invader hood|Side moldings removed|Homemade stubby|

Quote Originally Posted by thebeansoldier
    i didn't write this and i was surprised it hasn't been posted before in the how-to so i posted it. Most 3 (and 6) owners who have done it report differences, and the ones that have the most pronounce effect are from the ATX crowd.

For the TBs that are cable-driven, this won't do anything in throttle response, but you get a better ground to your TB tho.
    yeah... proteges and non-US 3s & 6s have cable throttles anyway
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT
    '16 BMYFS AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

Ok I lied, I didn't try it this weekend. I forgot that the 3 had an electronic throttle, so this wouldn't really do anything for the Protege.

I did check on partsexpress.com for pricing for all the 4 gauge cable and connectors I need to make myself a grounding kit though. It should be fun

Turd in the punch bowl goldwing2000's Avatar

2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles

Hmm... I could have sworn this had been written up.

Guess not!
    ~Kane
    Mods: ~Eibach adjustable rear camber links ~Red AEM CAI ~hot wired cigarette lighter ~130psi air horns ~10ga. ETB Ground ~Corksport SS Brake Lines ~Monzsta Timing Mod ~Spoiler Delete ~RDX Antenna ~Rusted-Out Rear Wheel Arches ~Hail Damage ~Frankenbumper
    Accessories: ~A/W floor mats ~cargo tray and net ~autodim r/v mirror with compass and temp ~rear bumper step plates ~mazda M/T pedal set

Donated: $10

2009 Escape XLT, 2010 CX7 sport

this only works for cars that use the "Drive-By-Wire" system. i did this for a couple of mustang and f-150 owners cars.
    I Brought A Bat To A Mosh Pit

Cars
    2000 Mustang GT Aluminator 5.4sc
    2006 Focus ST 2.6 Stroker
    2003 MSP Spicy orange - #1463 - sold
    2003 Protege LX - sold
    1996 Dodge Stealth RT-TT - sold
    1986 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth - Totaled
    1988 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo III- sold
    1985 Ford Ranger FI 302 swapped - sold

Turd in the punch bowl goldwing2000's Avatar

2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles

Yeah, that's been covered.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Copper Red Mica 2006 Mazda 3 s GT 5-door 2.3 liter

Mileage Impact?

Have you noticed any mileage impact from this? More, less, or the same?

Thanks for a nice writeup.
    I clean the cat boxes each night just for an excuse to say goodnight to my car on the way to the trash can.

Registered Member

'02 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGreek
    Have you noticed any mileage impact from this? More, less, or the same?

Thanks for a nice writeup.
    All it does is decrease the throttle tip-in delay, provide a more linear acceleration give you smoother shifts. ATX owners report the most "gains".

Registered Member

2012 Mazda3

Cool, thanks for the pics. Does anyone have the torque specs of the throttle body screw? I know I would likely strip the plastic of the manifold or not tighten it enough.

BTW, anyone actually notice an improvement with the intermittent rough idle or A/C?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast