spark plug gapping

pfive

:
2002 Protege5
I picked up some NGK v-power plugs for my p5. what are they supposed to be gapped to?

pfive said:
I picked up some NGK v-power plugs for my p5. what are they supposed to be gapped to?

MY 2002 P5 manual states 1.0-1.1 mm (0.040-0.043 in)

I think they come pre gapped @ 0.044. You should check them.

NGk website says .044 for their plugs. Wait, you asked this already in the other thread. Well, now you got manuals too!

(uhm) i;m not sure what he/she is up to??? i gave him/her the manual befor too?

i have too. but the gap differs depending on plugs. I convinded him tyo save the $ and go OEM.

I just swaped some plugs with over 100K on them. Had a .70-.12 gap they were so friggin worn out. Almost no electrode. now purs like a kitten. Since they were in a Lancer, i give em another 100K miles, if that pos makes it.

the ones i pulled from my car (old) were gapped at about .38...i kept that spec and it drives great! i did check out the manual...thanks guys...maybe i can experiment with a set gapped at .44

The gap does change with spark plug wear and tear. I just gap them at what the spark plug manufacturer advises to gap them at.

Case in point: My sister in laws POS Lancer. I awapped the plugs. With the wear on them, the gap was .07 and higher, really bad, and the car ran like crap. I installed new plugs, at the recommended gap by NGK, and it runs like a top now.

RaiderMP5 said:
The gap does change with spark plug wear and tear. I just gap them at what the spark plug manufacturer advises to gap them at.

Case in point: My sister in laws POS Lancer. I awapped the plugs. With the wear on them, the gap was .07 and higher, really bad, and the car ran like crap. I installed new plugs, at the recommended gap by NGK, and it runs like a top now.

hmmm - ill keep that in mind. the car purrs like a kitten. i got it to 100 driving to work this morning...gas milage is much better - gettin about 29 now..

now all i need is a new driver floor mat and a plastic silver cap for the plate where my shifter is.

Back