FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

TheMAN said:
it's also very hard on fuel lines

using that watered down s*** is bulls*** because as you said, it takes a lot of energy to make that s***! and it'll "reduce our dependency on fossil fuels" they say? bulls*** too... what runs MOST of the power plants in the world? coal

so guess what? we're screwed.... either we milk the ground dry, or we pump more s*** in the air... hmmm

Good point with the coal.

yeah we suck, I'd like to call myself an environmentalist but I love driving way too much :)

Great thread, I have much better luck with the ZFR's than I did when I tried the BKR's.

As far as heat range goes, there are a lot of variables and you won't truely know for sure until you run the plug and determine how it is working for you and your setup. Stock and lightly modded P5's/sedans should start with 5's... all MP3's, lightly boosted P5's, stock/lightly modded MSP's should start with 6's... highly boosted setups, drop down to the 7's. If the plug gets fouled out and the car runs like crap, then the plug is too cold for your setup. If you hear any pinging, the plug is probably too hot.

Elevation WILL effect which ones you can use, mainly because your power output (and all of the variables that come with higher power) is so dependant on the elevation. I can run copper, extended 6's here, but I am positive I would be pinging down at sea level on this same setup. Trial and error is everyone's best friend in this case.

whoa whoa MP3s should start with 6? I have the MP3 ecu, FS-ZE intake cam, UDP, CAI, header, midpipe (should be here today), cat-back exhaust.. so I'd classify my car as a lightly modified MP3. After 5k miles on the BFR 5 plugs they had a s***-ton of carbon on them, but well all the exhaust components on my car do too (like the inner tip on my racing beat exhaust that will no longer come clean after 6 months or so of me regularly cleaning it when I wash the car).

I don't notice any problem with the 5 heat range plugs and my setup, but maybe I will as it gets closer to summer. I don't even know what engine pinging sounds like, aside from assuming it is a typical "ping" sound.

KanseiZM said:
overhyped, yes, but it does have one purpose that you can't deny. Anything that has the capability to lessen our dependency on foreign oil is a good thing, and even if we have to import ethanol from South America it is still lessening our dependence on fossil fuels so that is a good thing. I would gladly pay a little bit more for those benefits.
I'm all for lessening our dependency on foreign oil but not at some ridiculuos price to everyone. I don't dig on our country being extorted over oil one bit by people playing political games with the output levels. Lets find something that is a little more realistic that we can get behind & not go broke over....besides riding bicycles. But that might put a dent in our country's obesity issues wouldn't it. How bout some extraordinary propaganda about a revolutionary battery & solar technology to make these folks in the sand boxes s*** their sheets & try to figure out what they are going to do with their precious oil if we aren't burning it. And of course it would really be novel if there was really something like that in the works.

KanseiZM said:
whoa whoa MP3s should start with 6? I have the MP3 ecu, FS-ZE intake cam, UDP, CAI, header, midpipe (should be here today), cat-back exhaust.. so I'd classify my car as a lightly modified MP3. After 5k miles on the BFR 5 plugs they had a s***-ton of carbon on them, but well all the exhaust components on my car do too (like the inner tip on my racing beat exhaust that will no longer come clean after 6 months or so of me regularly cleaning it when I wash the car).

I didn't mean for any of those reccomendations to be absolute, and like I tried to make clear, it is pretty much trial and error when deciding over a 5 or 6 for you guys... especially the MP3's. If you can run 5's in the summertime after a few hard runs, without getting any detonation, then definitely do it. Just remember that in your case, you were running BKR5's, so you might still get a little pinging with the ZFR5's.

KanseiZM said:
I don't notice any problem with the 5 heat range plugs and my setup, but maybe I will as it gets closer to summer. I don't even know what engine pinging sounds like, aside from assuming it is a typical "ping" sound.

It sounds like a can of marbles being rattled around... that's about the best description I can give.

TheMAN said:
OPEC wouldn't be such asses to us if we didn't drive land yachts

Haha, spot on.

It sounds like a can of marbles being rattled around... that's about the best description I can give.

I have a lightly modded P5 and I got that sound last summer. I upped the octane (I've been running mid-grade ever since) and it seemed to help but I'm going to try the ZFR's with a 6 heat range for this summer.

I installed the ZFR5F-11 on my car last night and all I can say is wow. I noticed right away that the car had a much smother idle and it was pulling on every gear ..I gap the plugs to .43

It just occured to me that the extended plugs will not change the non-interference characteristic of the engine. The plug should always clear the piston since the plug is stationary. Stupid question.

Anyways, does anybody have first hand expereince with ZFR5F-11 on 1.8L protege's?

hey,

Just installed the plugs in my car this morning... during my normal commute in, car seemed the same, can't say there was anything that would wow me. The car seemed easier to leave the line without any gas and just letting out the clutch but thats about all. My stock motor mounts make my car jump around in traffic like it was on a pogo stick so I can't tell if it really lurches still. AWR mounts are goin in this weekend so we'll see how drivability is after that.

Matt

Just now I put the ZFR5F-11 into my '99 1.8L protege. My previous plugs were standard BKR5F-11's which were in good shape. The engine now revs noticably smoother and a little bit quicker. I'm using 87 octane with no problems so far.

Last edited:
There are plenty if guys adjusting the idle with the stop and they claim to have good results.

BTW, I adjusted the idle with just the AAS screw and jumping 10 anf GRD and all it did was make more bypass noise to the point of being obnoxious. No real effect in the idle with either sort of adjustment though. Maybe about 100 rpm more.

Also, it is nice that I figured off you have piss off "The Man" before he will post his info. Someone asked him how to set the idle on another thread and he just snapped back something about "look in the manual.." without posting it. :)

Also, nice to see I was right about the heat range...

uhh yeah... I posted "my info" :rolleyes:

WTF is your problem? didn't get head this morning?
DO NOT expect me to give out ANYTHING on a silver platter... if the info can be found easily, then I will TELL you to go look there, I will NOT waste my time writing/pasting that s*** on the forum... so in otherwords, don't you think I posted the instructions for setting the idle... you want the instructions? it's all in the manual!

ZFR5F-11 I did a little test with my gas milage.

first test I filed my gas tank all the way to half a tank using 87 octane the resulst 105 miles to empty.

Second test I did the same as above but this time I used 89 octane= the results 175 miles to empty.

87=105
89=175

Diff=50

I wil be testing 91 octane soon

Last edited:
solid_snake2x said:
ZFR5F-11 I did a little test with my gas milage.

first test I filed my gas tank all the way to half a tank using 87 octane the resulst 105 miles to empty.

Second test I did the same as above but this time I used 89 octane= the results 175 miles to empty.

87=105
89=175

Diff=50

I wil be testing 91 octane soon

How do you know you were filling to half tank? best way to compare would be going to the same pump, and filling to first click-off of the pump.

Yeah our gas gauge really isn't too precise. I always just fill my car until it stops, and then the next time I fill it I check the trip odometer and look at how much gas I put in. That's the only good way to check gas mileage with our cars.

As well you can't forget about enviromental factors such as weather, traffic, driving style etc. Still I would be interested in the results. Try filling up a full tank and try as best you can to do the tests under the same conditions. Your effort is appreciated!

A couple times I tried 91 octane with my old BKR5F-11 and got about the same milage as 87 octane. Possibly our engines are retarding the timing slightly with the long reach plugs?

Last edited:
I will try to fill it up this time at the same gas station and I will go by how many gallons I put in rather than what my gas gauge says.

deagz said:
Just now I put the ZFR5F-11 into my '99 1.8L protege. My previous plugs were standard BKR5F-11's which were in good shape. The engine now revs noticably smoother and a little bit quicker. I'm using 87 octane with no problems so far.

I may try these if you dont ping on 87 octane !! Did'n feel like changing plugs and using 91 octane witch cost more .

Yeah....id like to know how it runs on 87 too. I might try those plugs...but i dont want to run 91 either.

Back