OEM tweeters installation

:
2001 BJFP MT
:
2016 BMYFS AT
REPOSTED FROM CLUBPROTEGE. ORIGINALLY POSTED ON 10/14/2005.

I picked up these from a local guy (david... don't know his forum name) on wednesday when I went to txmzd2gen's birthday party... the guy is getting rid of his car so he told me I could have whatever I wanted... I saw his P5 was an 03 so I jacked the tweeters WITH the necessary wiring

the geniuses at mazda decided to run the tweeter wires with the mirror harness, so that means you either have to buy the mirrors that HAS the wiring, or you can take the wires off the mirror pigtail harness and install them in your s*** that doesn't have it.... which is what I did....

you need to take off the door panel and then pull the pins with wires attached from the mirror connectors... you need a flat blade precision screw driver to lift up the plastic lock tabs to pull the metal pins out... I'm glad I got the pins from BOTH ends of the connectors because my door harness does NOT have the wiring for the tweeters! I had to run wires and splice them into the existing speaker wires

YES, you can just cut the wires and splice them in yourself and not having to deal with this connector s***... but I wanted to make everything factory plug and play for ease of removal/installation in the future

YES they're stock s*** 4Ω 25W tweeters, YES I know they "suck", YES it has a sorry excuse of a "crossover" via a 50V 1F capacitor
the fact is though, they have nice speaker grilles and I can cram whatever aftermarket s*** that'll fit in there I want later... no, you can't get just the speaker grilles themselves... you have to buy the WHOLE assembly, tweeter and all

I will give some notes so that people who want to sell this s*** or are pulling this s*** from a junk yard can get what they need... sellers doing this s*** can sell their s*** for more value

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tweeters.jpg
    tweeters.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 678
  • tweeters2.jpg
    tweeters2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
good decision on my part for taking the pins off BOTH ends of the mirror connector!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 553
  • pins2.jpg
    pins2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 556
  • left tweeter pins.jpg
    left tweeter pins.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 521
  • right tweeter pins.jpg
    right tweeter pins.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
to pull the pins out, you need to "pick" on the little plastic lock tabs next to the pins... look carefully and you will see them... but before you can pull them out, you HAVE to pry and lift up the orange safety lock tab... it only goes up a little bit... do NOT waste time trying to take it off, IT WON'T COME OFF!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• connector detail2.jpg
    connector detail2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 497
  • connector detail1.jpg
    connector detail1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
this is how the wires are run... you can also see the orange safety lock tab here... you need to lift that up to remove or insert the pins

attachment.php

Here's the positions of where each color wire goes in the connectors:
LEFT side
attachment.php

RIGHT side
attachment.php

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 564
  • left tweeter pins2.jpg
    left tweeter pins2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 541
  • right tweeter pins2.jpg
    right tweeter pins2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
after reinstalling the door panels, route the wires and connector in the back of the tweeter housing to get clearance room like this:

Attachments

• tweeterdetail2.jpg
    tweeterdetail2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 336
here's a 2003 wiring diagram in case someone needs it

the wire colors on the mirror pigtail portion are not shown but green/orange interfaces with black/red on the driver side and with red on the passenger side
and now obviously, blue/red on the pigtail interfaces with black/white on the driver side and with white on the passenger side

you can see how they match up in the 2nd post

Attachments

• speakerwiring.gif
    speakerwiring.gif
    56.8 KB · Views: 327
everything sounds a lot better now, there's better dynamic range and better high end response.... but it's all subtle, which is good.... it stays in balance

I'm still quite happy with the stock s*** system :)

there's quite a dilema with that 8 pin connector... that limits what features you may have related to the mirror:
obviously you can have the only power adjustment and tweeters... that's US s***
....but you can either add ONLY power folding on top of the tweeters, or add ONLY mirror heaters

you CANNOT have power adjustment, power folding, tweeters, heaters all at once.... the stock connector cannot support them all! it's only possible if you reroute the tweeter wires outside of the mirror connector... or if mazda had used a 10 pin connector instead....

and no, none of the european versions ever got tweeters... so if you get those nice heated mirrors, you have to do this wire hacking like I did (to only the mirror pigtail harness)

cool didn't know that. I'm always still interested in the folding mirrors even though the mirrors are made for right hand drive.

you CAN get LHD power folding mirrors... they exist in taiwan... I'm still trying to get them for myself... maybe someone with connections can setup a GB!

TheMAN said:
no, you can't get just the speaker grilles themselves... you have to buy the WHOLE assembly, tweeter and all

Well I just got back from the dealer and yes you can buy just the grilles. Well at least in Canada you can. The part numbers are:

B26R-69-111C (Right Side) $17.27 CAD
B26R-69-171C (Left Side) $19.15 CAD

I have no idea why the prices are different.

no, those part numbers are the blank "sails" for cars with power mirrors but WITHOUT tweeters
that parts guy sucks! there's so many times seeing them screw up on the simplest s***!

TheMAN said:
no, those part numbers are the blank "sails" for cars with power mirrors but WITHOUT tweeters
that parts guy sucks! there's so many times seeing them screw up on the simplest s***!

Are you sure cause I saw the picture on the screen. The sail with all the holes marked "w/o tweeters" and then another that said with speakers. I will talk to my friend at Mazda to make sure.

you know "w/o" means without right?
the proteges WITH tweeters show up as "6 speaker" in the parts diagram

I'm gonna have my friend check it out for me. They have to be ordered so its simple if they are not what I want I won't take them and tell them they are idiots for ordering the wrong part. Actually just for the heck of it I will order them, although I don't need them, and see what comes.

This is such an old thread but figured the OP would knkw since he had his door apart. If i jist got an entire door that has tweeters. And put that door on my car. Would the tweeter work?

Back