Protege cabin air filter Installation

You can try looking HERE. Just do a search via part number and Make. When I checked they had all the parts except the aldehyde filter. You could however, do a google search for the aldehyde filter part number and get some hits such as THIS ONE.

done this

i use knife and chisel to break the bottom like CTpro5

and got the "cooling seal" from local mazda dealer in 1 day

brought a 2 holes metal clip from canadiantire doesnt fit that well... enlarged the hole lil bit and drilled 3rd hole

gonna buy some JB weld, small screw and nut, weld the nut on the metal clip and screw that s*** on XD

found a filter from ebay seller, $14shipped should be good to keep this seller in favorite list (if anyone know better deal we can get, let us know)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-A-C-Fits...ccessories&hash=item589ba2475d&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Door and license plate bracket are easy scores using part numbers in thread. I'm sure I have hardware on hand to secure bracket and to secure door to bracket.These are what I went with..........

TC86-61-J31 AC evaporator case filter plug (door)
J001-50-171 license plate holder bracket
GE6T-61-J6X filters

Scored filters off ebay. Found a set of charcoal ones and also scarfed up a set of plain ones. Time to do some cutting out of the slot and do this.............when the filters arrive, I can shove a set up in there. About $40 shipped for all of it including the 2 sets of filters.

Last edited:
I did this a few months back, had to do a little fit & trim to get the filter to slide in nicely. Also got 15 years of leaves, hair and such vacuumed out of the heater box after I cut it open.

Question: Do the filters for this fit anything else besides Euro-spec 626/Premacy and Protege/Familia/323? Trying to ID an aftermarket filter source when it's time to replace this one.
I've found a couple of the charcoal/pollen filters on eBay from Europe, about to give one of them a shot.

Thanks all!
tlott01

Do you remember where you got the bracket for to hold the cabin filter in?

Pretty sure I ordered all mine from Jim Ellis Mazda - Mazdaswag and OnlineMazdaParts also have them in stock. For my 03 P5 I didn't need the heater case half, the opening was already molded in. Just had to open it up with an Xacto knife. Parts needed were the filter, filter plug/seal, the re-purposed license plate bracket, a metric bolt/screw to fit the bracket and a couple of self-tapping screws to secure it to the case. Not sure when the case was changed to the compatible version - take a look under the glove box and see what you have.

TC86-61-J31 Seal, cooling unit
J001-50-171 license plate holder bracket
GE6T-61-J6X normal cabin filter OR CB12-61-J6X aldehyde filter

Back