Rack and Pinion

InFlames

:
04 S2000
Ok here's the deal, I bent my control arm and ruined my cv boot about a month ago. I was in the same situation as aMaff, our incidents were a week apart. Now I went to a salvage yard to purchase the parts and I managed to install them myself. All there was left to do was get it pulled and aligned. I was told that my caster was off aswell as having positive camber. This was corrected but after I got the car back the steering felt a little sticky. Now what damage if any could there have been to the rack? I am pretty sure that is the problem. Do you think it was over extended? I'm thinking about picking up another rack and pinion setup from a junkyard but I was gonna try and see there is anything I could do without having to resort to that. It really takes the fun out of driving this car.

Jack the car (by the front of the crossmember and use jackstands) and try to turn the steeringwheel with the key on/engine off.
Can you? How difficult?

Turn the engine on (safety first! block the wheels and ensure the parking brake is fully on!) and now turn the wheels again.
Any groaning? Watch the fron tend as a friend moves it for binding.

Report back.

Back