General P5 Questions

pfive

:
2002 Protege5
Hi All - This is my first post. I traded in my 2000 Cherokee for a P5 on Wednesday. She's a hottie and a blast to drive. I have a few questions about my P5 that i hope someone can answer.

1- im getting about 24 mpg...i've put about 140 hwy on it already and about 80 stop and go - is this normal mpg? my gas guage seems to be dropping very fast!

2 - it is normal for the engine to be at 3k+ at 75 mph? i have the semi-auto...and i feel it go into over-drive - but i am curious with this.

3 - does the stock 6 disk changer have rca outputs?

4 - where can i purchase a new driver side floor mat?

pfive said:
Hi All - This is my first post. I traded in my 2000 Cherokee for a P5 on Wednesday. She's a hottie and a blast to drive. I have a few questions about my P5 that i hope someone can answer.

1- im getting about 24 mpg...i've put about 140 hwy on it already and about 80 stop and go - is this normal mpg? my gas guage seems to be dropping very fast! some do better, it's also the way you drive and the maintenance factor...i just got 26 and this is a combo of city/highway and i'm also boosted...so i'd say you could do much better

2 - it is normal for the engine to be at 3k+ at 75 mph? i have the semi-auto...and i feel it go into over-drive - but i am curious with this. i have the auto also and i think (i'll check today for you) @ 75 i'm below 3k?

3 - does the stock 6 disk changer have rca outputs?
i don't have one, but i/m pretty sure the indash stock unit has outputs ...anyone else?

4 - where can i purchase a new driver side floor mat?
there are some on ebay, dealer, someone on this site...check the forsale section..and don;t be afraid to try ther search feature either...welcome and good luck!

i just got it - so i need to have the injectors cleaned, etc etc...i want to put in a K&N filter and possibly a tune up. my '02 has 51k on it...

buttthrax said:
1) yes

2) yes

3) yes

4) yes

aaaaaaannnnnnddddd.....

5) yes.

(poke) i think there were only 4 questions and the 4th was not a yes or no answer???

Try swapping the spark plugs for fresh OEM NGK's, that might help. That and I got better mileage by switching the engine and transmission to synthetic. Of course, I got a manual, so you might be different. The rest of the questons have been answered, I think.

i've searched the forum, but did not find answer - where r the plugs on the engine...i think i know, but i need a confirmation on that...are they on the very front of the engine?

RaiderMP5 said:
Try swapping the spark plugs for fresh OEM NGK's, that might help. That and I got better mileage by switching the engine and transmission to synthetic. Of course, I got a manual, so you might be different. The rest of the questons have been answered, I think.

They are right on top. See the plug wires? 2 are under the coil packs. Very top of motor. It is a 5 minute job to swap em out.
100_3451.JPG

Thanks! im going to pick up the plugs - it idles hard...and i noticed that it will start, drop to like 300 rpm and work its way back up...probobly needs a tuneup.

^^^^

yeah, show us your super clean engine bay.....will have to post up a pic of mine......

wish i could keep mine that clean! looking great!
-R

pfive said:
and i noticed that it will start, drop to like 300 rpm and work its way back up...probobly needs a tuneup.

does this happen when the car is fully warmed up? could be an EGR valve problem.

Actually, that pic is old, I got a red painted valve cover and an Optima now installed. Move to Florida, no mushy now, salt, and stuff. All i use is full strength Simple Green and a plastic scrub brush, nothing fancy.

As far as the rough idle, if new plugs don't fix it, the problem might be a stuck or gummed up EGR.
here is the how-to to clean it.
http://protege5.com/vbb230/showthread.php?t=94788

yea - took it out for lunch...restarted and noticed it. i bought it used 51k, so i dont know how well it was maintained. thank God for the warranty. any idea how so remedy it?

Protege52003 said:
does this happen when the car is fully warmed up? could be an EGR valve problem.

pfive said:
Thanks! im going to pick up the plugs - it idles hard...and i noticed that it will start, drop to like 300 rpm and work its way back up...probobly needs a tuneup.
change plugs, you will be surprised but spend $$ on NGK

ill swap them out this weekend. i found the high end "laser platinums" for $9.98 and the G Powers for $2.98. ....hmm..on a budget....hmmmm...gas @ $3/gallon...hmm.

Dude, NGK V POwer OEM plugs. No need for triple platinum irradiated gold tip LED plug bulls***.

Trust me, I spent the money on expensive plugs, only to throw them out months later for NGK OEM ones, because they suck. Sucked the money right out of my wallet.

All in favor of OEM Plugs, raise your hands!
Arms%20raised%20in%20sanctuary.JPG

Or, if you want to spend money, just get the NGKs, and mail me the extra $20 you would h ave spend for those laser plugs. :)

nope. It is a little part that goes into the throttle body that connects to the exhaust manifold via tube. It is a PIA to do, but it may fix a rough idel issue if the plugs do not fix it.

Back