Mazda 4-liter W-12 engine

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Mazda's 3981cc 12-cylinder engine in W configuration; having 3 banks of 4 cylinder (much like VW's W12). This engine was shown at the 1989 Tokyo motor and was intended for Mazda's Amati luxury brand that never materilized.
The engine was limited to 280hp and 274lb-ft of torque because of the Japan's gentleman's agreement, but keeping in tradition of Mazda's unique engine design history (rotary, miller cycle, etc) they decided to go with the W-configuration for their 12 cylinder.

Amati MRY concept
mry-coupe-illust.jpg

Does anyone have more info on this engine and Luxury brand from Mazda?

buttthrax said:
Sooooo whats the point of having 12 cylinders for a motor that displaces what 6 usually would?
Whats the point of using 6 when 4 would do? ie 1.8L V6?? To be different and fun!

buttthrax said:
Sooooo whats the point of having 12 cylinders for a motor that displaces what 6 usually would?

do say you have a 12 cyl engine!

Last edited:
japan used to have a HP limit of 276HP. i believe that has since been lifted. the engine was capable of putting out much much more however the output was governed to remain within the confines of the law...no one quote me or flame me for this...corrections are appreciated tho. I'm no expert but i know it has something to do with this limit

One reason for going with a multi-cylinder NA engine is to improve its volumetric efficiency; it's easier to fill a smaller cylinder than a larger one.

Another reason that might be important in a luxury car is the increased smoothness possible from an engine delivering more power strokes/revolution.

Conventional 4-cylinder inline engines have an inherent state of imbalance that cannot be fully eliminated. Horizontally opposed 4-cyl engines don't have this problem, however.

goldstar said:
Conventional 4-cylinder inline engines have an inherent state of imbalance that cannot be fully eliminated. Horizontally opposed 4-cyl engines don't have this problem, however.

To my knowledge, an inline 4cyl is very well balanced, but 4cyl motors aren't as smooth as other motors since they make power less frequently.

Inline 4-Cylinder Engine Balance

The following material is excerpted from:
High Speed Combustion Engines, 16th Edition, by P.E.Heldt, pages 49-52
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-4

The inline 4-cylinder engine is inherently unbalanced. While a pair of pistons is always moving up at the same time as the other pair is moving down, piston speed-as with all internal combustion engines-is higher through the top 180 degrees of the stroke than the bottom 180 degrees. Although the two sets of reciprocating masses are equal in weight and always move in opposite directions, the inertia forces do not completely neutralize each other because of this speed disparity, which leads to a secondary harmonic imbalance. The vibrations get worse with increasing size and power. Most inline 4 engines of 2.0L or less displacement, rely on the engine mounts to provide a damping effect-something most of us are aware of in the Protege. The only way to completely balance the inline 4 is to provide it with two balance shafts rotating at twice the crankshaft frequency that functions to completely cancel out the unbalanced forces.

goldstar said:
One reason for going with a multi-cylinder NA engine is to improve its volumetric efficiency; it's easier to fill a smaller cylinder than a larger one.

Another reason that might be important in a luxury car is the increased smoothness possible from an engine delivering more power strokes/revolution.

volumetric efficiency increases is always countered by parasitic losses due to increased friction (more moving parts).... but the REAL reason for I6 and V12s is to increase smoothness of the engine... no 60 degree V6 or 90 degree V8 can match up to a well designed I6 or V12

TheMAN said:
but the REAL reason for I6 and V12s is to increase smoothness of the engine... no 60 degree V6 or 90 degree V8 can match up to a well designed I6 or V12

(mswerd) I agree...If you ever drove or even ridden in a V12 car...Such as a 80/90's Jag or BMW...You would understand the difference in terms of "smoothness".

Interesting find Mikey...Post if you find more info!

Back