Accepted Speedo error

So I got popped doing 69 in a 65 on my way home from school the other night. I am trying to determine how I am going to argue this in court and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find out how much the speedo is off in my vehicle. The car is an 03 P5, kinda sucks because I have only had it for a week and the police seem to take notice of this car much more than my last car.

Also...who the hell writes someone a ticket for 4 over?

Monkeyballs said:
So I got popped doing 69 in a 65 on my way home from school the other night. I am trying to determine how I am going to argue this in court and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find out how much the speedo is off in my vehicle. The car is an 03 P5, kinda sucks because I have only had it for a week and the police seem to take notice of this car much more than my last car.

Not to be an ass, but most cops won't even bat an eye if you're going 4 over. He may have written you the ticket for that, but you were probably going faster

Ouch that sucks. You never said how fast you were going. Were you going 69 on your speedo? Depends on your wheels too. My speedometer is slower by 4%. so When I'm going 60, i'm going 62.5 because of the bigger wheels.

Jeph said:
Not to be an ass, but most cops won't even bat an eye if you're going 4 over. He may have written you the ticket for that, but you were probably going faster

Nah, it says on the ticket that I declared my speed. I had the cruise set at 69 and I told him that thinking 4 mph wasn't ticketworthy, but I guess it is in VT.

xvdarkyvx said:
Ouch that sucks. You never said how fast you were going. Were you going 69 on your speedo? Depends on your wheels too. My speedometer is slower by 4%. so When I'm going 60, i'm going 62.5 because of the bigger wheels.

That's the thing, I really was going 69. Cruise control is a nice feature which I have never had prior to this vehicle.

Edit: also, had I been speeding and I got that kind of break I would be thanking the cop for the break and paying the fine.

Last edited:
Wow, the police here are actually banned from ticketing for less than 5 over.

The police seem to leave my p5 alone pretty well.

Wanna give any more details about your car? That's kind of a large difference between actual/indicated speed for it to be on a normal, unmodified car.

You might be able to goto a dealer or maybe the local smokey's can point you to a place that can make sure your speedo is calibrated.

.paul said:
Wanna give any more details about your car? That's kind of a large difference between actual/indicated speed for it to be on a normal, unmodified car.

You might be able to goto a dealer or maybe the local smokey's can point you to a place that can make sure your speedo is calibrated.

In regards to my car, just bought it so it is bone stock. I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the direction of finding out the %age error on a stock 03 P5 so I can decide what argument I am going to use.

uh, thats about a 6% difference between 69 and 65 mph. tough to argue, period. were you violating anything else? turn signals, improper passing, tailgating, etc? also, typically you get a bigger cushion with speed limits below a state's maximimum (which i'm assuming is 65 in virginia).

in the end, you're not going to get anywhere unless the cop doesn't show up. just man up and pay it.

djp5 said:
uh, thats about a 6% difference between 69 and 65 mph. tough to argue, period. were you violating anything else? turn signals, improper passing, tailgating, etc? also, typically you get a bigger cushion with speed limits below a state's maximimum (which i'm assuming is 65 in virginia).

in the end, you're not going to get anywhere unless the cop doesn't show up. just man up and pay it.

I didn't violate any other law, like I said had I been given a break I would just pay the ticket. I understand that indeed I was technically violating the law in Vermont, but I always figured an officer would allow for a reasonable amount of leniency.

69 in a 65 really is a bogus ticket. You may have been pulled over for some other behavior, or because you were profiled. I wouldn't try to make any excuse, such as speedo error or anything like that. Judges have been around for a long time and they've heard everything. The legal system in VT is probably different than here in michigan, but you probably have the option of contesting the ticket with or without the issuing officer present. In michigan, you can contest the ticket by showing up to court and the cop won't be present. In this case, you can lower the fine, but cannot lose any points. In order to have the potential to lose points, you need to arrange a hearing where the officer will be present. With the officer there, you can tell the judge that you are pleading guitly, but wish to explain the circumstances of your incident. I would reccomend doing this option. Point out to the judge that you have not had any previous violations (i'm assuming this is your first) and basically tell him/her that you were aware that you were above the speed limit, but by such a small amount that you weren't even to the next mark on your speedomoter. Hopefully the judge and/or the issuing officer will then move to have your ticket reduced or dropped.

Monkeyballs said:

sounds liek you were doing 69 in a 60.

Worbit said:
why is it that you only have 10 posts yet are listed as a "Potential Scammer!"?
server upgrades...all the n00bs have that.

Monkey, sux about the ticket, I hope you get it straightened out.

I had the cruise set at 69 and I told him that thinking 4 mph wasn't ticketworthy

Sounds to me like you already admited you knew exactly how fast you were going.....so arguing in court isn't going to take since you've already admitted guilt. Also, just for future reference, cops don't like you to admit that you were knowingly breaking the law because you figured it didn't matter enough for them to give you a ticket. You should have just apologized and said the pedal got away from you a little bit. From what you've said it sounds like he gave you the ticket less for the actual violation and more to send you a message that you can't break the law just because you figure no cop's going to bust you for it.

hmmm good point kickniteasy. however i tried the whole appology thing and it didn't work. Guy was being an ass that day, as I got written up for stopping hard on a yellow/red as i didn't want to run the light. I was like i'm sorry, as I wasn't paying attention to the light. I looked up and it was yellow on me, so i braked. Cop was like pay more attention, and flipped through his handbook for like 5-10 pages, trying to find something that fit the crime. =\ eventually got a basic speed law ticket.

xvdarkyvx said:
hmmm good point kickniteasy. however i tried the whole appology thing and it didn't work. Guy was being an ass that day, as I got written up for stopping hard on a yellow/red as i didn't want to run the light. I was like i'm sorry, as I wasn't paying attention to the light. I looked up and it was yellow on me, so i braked. Cop was like pay more attention, and flipped through his handbook for like 5-10 pages, trying to find something that fit the crime. =\ eventually got a basic speed law ticket.

Wow, get a ticket for running a yellow, get a ticket for stopping for a yellow...it's a lose-lose situation. You must have stopped really quickly. Did you squeal the tires at all?

however i tried the whole appology thing and it didn't work.

Yeah, I mean, the whole apology/respect thing isn't going to get you out of everything for sure. I guess long story short I was just trying to say that saying "I'm sorry officer, the accelerator just got a little away from me" is much better than saying, "Yeah, I know I was breaking the law, but I didn't think you'd pull me over for only doing 4 over."

On a side note: That blows about your ticket, hooray Catch-22s

i generally get hassled for dicking around in parking lots, doing my own amatuer auto-x ing. but throw in a little respect and the fact of being on private property and i'm good to go.
its happened a few times.

Back