Grinding while shifting when cold

2litrePRO

:
2001 Protege ES 2.0
So whenever i start my car up in the morning my and pull out my driveway and shift from first to second or from second to third my tranny grinds. Even when it isnt cold and i shift hard into third it grinds sometimes. Now i read on the protege faq that the material for the synchro rings has to be changed to carbon. Now i havent changed my tranny fluid since i bought the car and im doing that soon but my question is does mazda cover this repair as it is a known issue? I bought the car shortly after the warrenty expired so theres none left. If they dont cover it any idea how much it would cost to get done?

not sure what it could be but i have same problem. I have an A/T and when it shifts from first into second and sometimes second to third I also hear grinding, started about a month ago when car hit 30k miles, i gonna take it to shop to check it, but b4 i do any ideas...?

peace

Last edited:
I just hit 30k miles and I also just started noticing a slight grind when I shift first to second, but that is the only time it happens. I'm interested in the cause of this.

i never had a grind, but i had a loud wineing noise.. thats the tranny going out.. the grinding could be the differential... they do grind when broken or going out..

Here is what works for me:

-Synthetic fluid is a must, it seems. I use BG Synchroshift II. It has improved things greatly.
-Warm up the car a bit before driving off (gets the fluid warmed up a bit).
-Shift slower on upshifts (wait for synchros), rev-match on downshifts.

Basically, don't abuse it. I've learned how to deal with it. My transmission and I have been getting along fine.

how about automatics, I was thinking of changing fluid soon to see if that helps about the grinding, what kind do you suggest???

peace

Yeah, with an automatic you can't really adjust your driving habits to the same extent, sorry.

damn!!! now i feel like I let my sexy pro down :( guess i'll have to take her to dealer ... i still have 1 month of warrenty, though i'll still change fluid since I dint do 30k service ( any of u know if there is a "how to" on tranny fluid change ). i wonder if the grinding is due to .. well me pushin her to the limit sometimes..... thx guys

peace

LX_StreetGlow said:
damn!!! now i feel like I let my sexy pro down :( guess i'll have to take her to dealer ... i still have 1 month of warrenty, though i'll still change fluid since I dint do 30k service ( any of u know if there is a "how to" on tranny fluid change ). i wonder if the grinding is due to .. well me pushin her to the limit sometimes..... thx guys

peace
I don't think you did anything wrong. It's just the way these cars are.

I hope I didnt,,, I would never forgive myself.. but anyway I just bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid gonna change it tomorow, do you kno how much of it goes in, I bought 4Qts but i think that it's like 3qts that go in and is there any specific way to do it or just drain it and pour in new??

peace

LX_StreetGlow said:
I hope I didnt,,, I would never forgive myself.. but anyway I just bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic tranny fluid gonna change it tomorow, do you kno how much of it goes in, I bought 4Qts but i think that it's like 3qts that go in and is there any specific way to do it or just drain it and pour in new??

peace
I do not know about the auto, sorry. The amount is in your manual though. Good luck.

I'm thinking with an automatic it is not as easy, maybe you should take it to a mechanic?

I don't think the Mobil is the best choice. Do a search on the forum for more information about. The fluid you bought is it the ATF one or the 75w90 that is suited for the manual trannies?

LX_StreetGlow said:

peace
Don't beat yourself up over it. Just do what you can and don't worry. :D

go get a tranny FLUSH.. dont bother changing it urself.. u will only be able to change about 3quarts.. tranny holds about 9 ...

this is an old old problem. These trannies just start grinding around that time with the stock fluid. I've had it, just about everyone has had it.

the consensus has been, Redline Lightweight shockproof gear oil (what I personally have) and GM/Pennzoil syncromesh.

both fix the problem.

thx for help guys, when I got up this morning 1st thing I did is change Tranny fluid, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, I thought it was one of better choices perhaps i was wrong,, twas easy tho but I only menaged to get 3qts,,, but anyhow should have come here 1st to read lolz.... is tranny flush expensive since i'm a bit short on cash atm?? i'm about to drain radiator and pour in new coolant...

peace

PS. damn I get so happy when I see the MP3,, so sexy

if you don't want to get it flushed, just change it, drive around a bit to mix it up, and repeat 1-2 more times, you will change most of the fluid.

Back