White grease out of synthetic motor oil?

avhed

I am looking to try a synthetic motor oil, but the only time I have tried on a previous car (1983 Nissan Sentra) a white grease collected on the oil cap.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

I do think it was coolant. I neglected to mention it only happened when the oil was new and then not again for the life of the oil.

If it was only on the oil cap, then it was from condensation. I've experienced this on cars (synthetic and dino oil used) that aren't operated often or are operated at short intervals.

Another reason is that it will open up a leak easier than a natural oil.
Though,I do not have to worry about an 2002 car yet.

Pretzellogic said:
There really aren't any reasons why you shouldn't switch to synthetic oil, save the price.

If its a motor with a lot of miles then synthetic isn't going to do much for you 'cept make your wallet lighter.

I'm not paying any more to run synthetic vs. conventional. If you are, you are changing it too often!

Buttthrax, how much mileage before using synthetic oil no longer has an advantage? Do you have any links on this info?

synthetic can be good for any age motor, but it can't reverse any damage already done by conventional

In my old car I switched to synthetic at 140K and ran it for another 60K with no problems at all.

There are a lot of myths going around about engines leaking because of synthetic oil. It is only true to an extent.

mogi said:
synthetic can be good for any age motor, but it can't reverse any damage already done by conventional
Werd. Synthetic is better at any stage just because it's better oil.

Back