custom paint job

rednecks_r_us

:
2003 Laser Blue Protege5
So as not to spoil the suprise of the finished paint job, I'll post as we progress.03/30/06: The roof was block sanded by hand to get down to the base of the hail damage dents. The dents in the hood and left rear door were fixed. That was over 5 hours of hand sanding.03/31/06: We started tonight at 6 pm and stopped around 11:30. We wet sanded the right side of the car with 400 grit. Then above the side windows we block sanded with 180 grit to get down to the base of the hail damage. Then we wet sanded again with 400 grit sandpaper.Here are some camera phone pictures. The first 2 pix are of the dents in the hood and the one in the left rear door that have been fixed.
03-31-06_1700%20(Medium).jpg

03-31-06_1702%20(Medium).jpg

Here are some from tonight while we were sanding the car.
03-31-06_2056%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited:
As of 04/08/06 the roof has been block sanded by hand down to the deepest dents from hail damage. The tops of the doors also had hail damage. The entire car has been wet sanded.

blue LEDs and blue neon lights have been purchased for under hood lighting.

Stock underhood heat insulation has been taken out. Replacement dynamat has been ordered.

Going to pull the hood so we can paint that in advance. Its going to take several hours for my painter to free hand the ghost flames in blue pearl.

Last edited:
update

Still having trouble getting a quality paint booth that isn't reserved weeks in advance.

We thought we would be able to sneak into one last saturday but they were rented out.

Last edited:
I can't photoshop (don't have it), but I did this in "paint" for my car. I will have a lot more done to it but this was the basic idea and my painter is taking it from there.

painted%20(Small).JPG

paint%202%20(Small).JPG
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Come to the shop next door to Beau's. I will have them hook you up with some skulls and naked chicks. It would look good on your hood.

Hey redneck..how are you liking those side mirrors? Where did you get them from? They heated and power?

Thanks

65racecoupe said:
Come to the shop next door to Beau's. I will have them hook you up with some skulls and naked chicks. It would look good on your hood.

I have other plans that include blue pearl ghost .... well you'll just have to wait and see.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

FunkyBuddha said:
Hey redneck..how are you liking those side mirrors? Where did you get them from? They heated and power?

Thanks

I am actually the 3rd owner of these mirrors. They are power mirrors with amber & blue LEDs. I have the amber LEDs tapped into the turnsignal so they flash amber. The blue LEDs are on a switch and were tied with the underbody neons when I had them. I am getting some under hood neons and fabricating some body color shields. This way I will have a blue neon engine bay with out seeing the tubes. I also have some blue LEDs that I will be drilling into the hood to shine down on the header.

Friday 04/08/06 we finished wet sanding the car. The paint booth was still reserved so we have to find another one that isn't so busy.

What do you mean "trim? Luggage racks, side mouldings or emblems?

The side mouldings have been off for a while. Makes the car look cleaner. I thought about shaving the door handles but just couldn't afford it with everything else.

To pull the luggage rack I have to pull the headliner to get to the bolts then buy the filler strips. More money than I have left.

I might shave the emblems to make the hatch back look cleaner. But if I did that then I'd need to get a personalized license plat that read " NOT A KIA"

It makes for a much better paint job if you remove the trim around the windows, door handles, tail lights, and anything else that you might have to mask around. Its not a huge deal but just the little things make a difference I think.

sounds like a fun project. i miss painting cars! good luck and
i look forward to the final product.(first)

Awsome man I wouldnt mind to paint mine either if I had a beater to drive for awhile. My camaro is all apart so I dont think I should start on another lol. What is nice about repainting it is that when you block it you get rid of all the factory defects like the dents around the gas filler hole. If you look close they arent perfect from the factory.

this is what my wife had to say on our Arizona forum

my wife said:
You know the Disneyland Commercial about being too excited to sleep this has been and continues to be Bill since this whole thing started. He is driving me crazy. I know that the car will look good when it is done, but man oh man my car looks so bad right now. My poor car.

All the body work is done and the car will see the paint booth this week.

Grilles & fog lights are out. Bumper is sanded down to bare plastic.
04-16-06_1421.jpg

04-16-06_1418.jpg

Side marker lights have been pulled.
04-16-06_1420.jpg

Just need to pull the rear emblems and license plate.
04-16-06_1419.jpg

Back