which intake system to get......

:
2008 mazdaspeed3 GT
Im sure that ppl have made tons of threads like this one so im sorry for making another. but im looking to get an full intake system for my p5. I called a local shop asking about the K&N rig but they quoted me $397 and some change for it. 0.o Does anyone else know of any good intake systems that are a little less cheap? $400 seems a bit high. Also, whats the difference between short ram and CAI?

Ebay CAI is good enough, seriously. Same design as Injen, but 1/10 the price.

Peace

Same thing. Brand X is just as good as AEM. Just becareful with SRI because right by the master cylinder, the piping tends to rub on it and you'll eventually end up with a hole in the pipe o_O The CAI versions have a rubber elbow piece that clears the master cylinder. I'm sure they are both street legal.

Peace

sri..........a pipe to a cone sitting on the side of the engine, cai..........pipes running down to get cold air, on the pro's the run down the hole on the drivers side to the fender=colder air!!

ebay cai worked for me for 6 mths b4 i went turbo!! just watch the brake cylinder!
rob

I see you have to put up with stupid cali emmisions laws.
Here is an idea:

1. Purchase x3 racing intake from ebay (injen replica) $50
2. Purchase k+n air filter $50 (DO NOT use filter from a chepo intake)
3. Buy carb sticker off a forum member with a genuine injen intake that dosent live in california. $???

Half the price of AEM/Injen is paying so they can put that stupid sticker on.

As far as CAI vs. shortram...

I would say you might as well go CAI as long as your area isnt prone to flooding. The only problem besides the possiblity of hydrolock is that the filter is a pain to get to when its down there.

Last edited:
is the ebay intake jus as good? really? its tempting, but, i still have doubt about it. how do the sri and cai compare to name brands like aem sri and injen cai? do they have a nice sound to em too?

thanks so much guys for all of the imput. I had a K&N cai on my s10 and i loved it so it looks like im going to go with that.

is the ebay intake jus as good? really? its tempting, but, i still have doubt about it. how do the sri and cai compare to name brands like aem sri and injen cai? do they have a nice sound to em too?

An intake is just a metal tube. There really just isnt much that can go wrong. The only problems that might be encountered with el-cheapo is fitment. However, my ebay intake fit just fine. That, and you will of course need to put a decent filter on.

Worbit,
I do not post lot, but I lurk around in the shadows to all the greatness in this board. I have a X3 Racing SRI and have had it for almost 1 year and half. I am using the filter on it as the filter material looks similiar to K&N that I have seen. The only difference is it does not take air in from the front because you can just unscrew the top and take the filter out for cleaning. I have bought and recommend the AEM bypass value. With the right size bypass and cutting of the silicon coupler that goes to the firewall angle pipe and MAP sensor I was able to get a tight fit and not cutting of the metal tube. Understand I do have a rubber angluar piece that connects the SRI to the throttle body. Make sure to put the angluar piece the right way. Also I used the include "L" brace to mount the thing with two tubes to the throttle body's C clamp. Runs great, improves Gas mileage a tiny bit, and sounds wonderful. It was like the car was meant to have the SRI. I have also had comments on how it changes how the car goes, "It's easy to go to fast and the engine does not require to much effort on the Highway" (Mother-in-law, not car person). As for legality in CA. I heard that all they do is really check to make sure it's got the sticker on it. The Tube is physically the same as the INJEN one except color and sticker. If your concerned, get the sticker. If you are paranoid, paint it to match the INJEN. But as other have said, it's a freaking metal tube with a filter! Do you believe it's worth $200+? I am not saying always go cheap (that's bad). But in this case, go for it!

Oh before I go, lil tip. Treat the MAP like it's a bomb and let NOTHING get on it. Also pay attention to the arrow and how it's facing on the MAP. If you do all this, you should be golden.

That is all from you neighorhood Magus

-Magus

Last edited:
Back