Rear Bumper Vibration

DeadGeneration

Contributor
:
'04 RX8
I finished sound deadening my hatch yesterday and when I put the subs back in and played them, when the bass gets pretty heavy my rear bumper vibrates like a mofo. I am going to check the bolts and everything to make sure its tightened but does anyone have any idea on how to deaden that if the bolts are as tight as they can get?

It's funny cuz it sounds like the subwoofers are in my exhaust pipe, whole lower part of the car rattles back there but the hatch door and walls are fine.

spare tire is out, jack is still in the car though. Its not the license plate or the exhaust, its just the lower rear bumper, the entire plastic thing.

DeadGeneration said:
does anyone know if it will hurt if I put sound deadening on the inside of my bumper?

Underneath that bumper cover there's a block of styrofoam to absorb the energy of an impact and an actual metal bumper behind that. Whatever you put inside the bumper cover should not interfere with the functioning of those two parts. You also don't want this material to catch fire from the exhaust or shake itself to bits, or weigh too much.

What kind of motion are you seeing when the sound is turned up? Is the bumper cover moving with respect to the car, or is it just flexing in place? If the former then there may be some loose connectors holding the bumper cover to the car so tightening them might help. If the thing is flexing, well, good luck.

pasadena_commut said:
Underneath that bumper cover there's a block of styrofoam to absorb the energy of an impact and an actual metal bumper behind that. Whatever you put inside the bumper cover should not interfere with the functioning of those two parts. You also don't want this material to catch fire from the exhaust or shake itself to bits, or weigh too much.

What kind of motion are you seeing when the sound is turned up? Is the bumper cover moving with respect to the car, or is it just flexing in place? If the former then there may be some loose connectors holding the bumper cover to the car so tightening them might help. If the thing is flexing, well, good luck.

I will have to pay more attention maybe tomorrow

Back