any have a how- to install p5 springs?

just look for the how to on the sedan its the same as the p5, just that the p5's rear is easier to get too, and i believe there is a how too on here somewhere i remember pics of a p5's rear.

hey thanks for the link! gonna do this tomorrow! ijus got some pro kits for my p5. my first ever mod on this car.

shad0wSS said:
hey thanks for the link! gonna do this tomorrow! ijus got some pro kits for my p5. my first ever mod on this car.

If you can find someone who has done this before on any car ask for their help! I probably could have done mine alone, but having someone who knows what he's doing to walk me through stuff made it a ton easier.

anarchistchiken said:
If you can find someone who has done this before on any car ask for their help! I probably could have done mine alone, but having someone who knows what he's doing to walk me through stuff made it a ton easier.

I definitely second that. When I had to do it again installing my Tokico blues it was way easy since I had gone through the motions before.

Piece of cake....did mine this weekend. Trust me.....life will be much easier if you have air tools and spring compressor. I'm not saying you can't do it without but you will spend twice the amount of time w/o. I had help.....we did it in 2hrs and 45 minutes. Good luck! (thumb)

dave45090 said:
life will be much easier if you have air tools and spring compressor. I'm not saying you can't do it without but you will spend twice the amount of time w/o. (thumb)

I totally understand the need for air tools. But are the spring compressors really needed?
When i did the Miata springs there was less pressure than I thought on the stock springs and I was able to undo them by taking off the top nut and they sprung the top hat out about a foot and that was it.

The aftermarket springs went on no problem since they were shorter than stock, they went right on.

Anyone know if the P5 will be the same? I can wrap the strut in a towel and undo the top at, then push down on the Eibach so it fits on the strut?

Safety, blah blah. I just want to know if it would work.

You can do it without it...although sometimes they tend to scar your fingers if they still have enough force. If someone puts pressure on the top hat and then you undo the nut....nah...I will still use the spring compressor. You can rent one free at Autozone.

air tools are worth thier weight in gold. as for the compressor, i think you should use it to take the longer stock spring off, not the shorter aftermarket spring. not sure if its just a wive's tale but supposedly people have died from springs shooting into thier head. (boom07)

I remember when I took off the springs of my AE86, they shooted about 25 feet when the nut came off...now I dont know how far ours will go, but I didnt want to find out.

Robot Romeo said:
air tools are worth thier weight in gold.

+1,234,281,892

As for a spring compressor, that's a personal choice. I got one from AutoZone, used it on the first spring, and never used it again. Though, I was using air tools. The gun absorbrs a lot of the impact and allows you to stand back (just in case) when you're taking off the top nut. If you're not, I'd consider the spring compressor. Why not? They're basically free.

The only reason you need (IMO) the spring compressor is re-assembling the front spring. It would be tough to push down the spring to get the top nut back on. You need it more to get it back together as opposed to taking it apart. Again this only applies to the front.

kurt said:
+1,234,281,892

As for a spring compressor, that's a personal choice. I got one from AutoZone, used it on the first spring, and never used it again. Though, I was using air tools. The gun absorbrs a lot of the impact and allows you to stand back (just in case) when you're taking off the top nut. If you're not, I'd consider the spring compressor. Why not? They're basically free.

hmm. Maybe my impact wrench is teh suck or something but I don't find it very useful. I tried using it to undo the bolts holding the wheel hub to the strut and it wasn't getting anywhere. My 5 gallon compressor was also turning on after like 10 seconds of using the impact wrench at 130 psi. Is that normal? It just pounded away for like 10 seconds and then basically died. It worked when I used it for my crank pulley it just took a very long time.

One more-
Impact tools made it way easier! I used a heavy duty electric one. Well worth the price.

Safety first! Use the comrpessor tools (mostly for the front - but who want to take a chance?) Say it out loud after admission to the hospital: "I was told i should use special tools but i said 'nah...' . So. Can we get the spring out of my cranium?"

P-Funk! said:
One more......Say it out loud after admission to the hospital: "I was told i should use special tools but i said 'nah...' . So. Can we get the spring out of my cranium?"

(lol)

i jus finished em today. im working on wiring my car for two amps, and the black housing for my headlights this week too. im on spring break, and i think thisll be the only chance i reely get until summer. it took me around 4 hours. the brake pads in the back kept on sliding out. trying to put em back in took an hour. is that normal for p5s?

wish i cuda got shocks, dont wanna have to go through all that again! haha. I love the drop too, jus rite, not slammed to the ground, and i think it cud even be higher in the back. but its jus due to my sub.

Last edited:
Back