J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake camshaft

LX_StreetGlow

Contributor
:
'03 LX Pearl Black A/T
Sup ppl, I'm new here so srry if this question was answered b4.

ok i wonna get camshafts for my 2.0

for the intake -- J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake camshaft
and for exhaust -- well thats wher the questions comes, i heard from sum ppl that the J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake camshaft could also be installed as an exhaust camshaft, is this true and also if done would there be any problems?

thx for all the help

peace

PS
Has anyone installed these b4 combined with SRMotorSports Cam Gears, if any1 has what kind of gains did u get?

Last edited:
What I've read here on the forums is that you put in the JDM FSZE intake cam, and you can use your old stock intake cam as an exhaust cam. You just have to get your stock intake cam "re-pinned" 180 degrees. Supposedly the stock intake and the Mazdaspeed exhaust cam have the same specs, just 180* off. It means your car is going to be down for a while, but I think that's better than spending the extra $$ on an exhaust cam you really don't need.

<<<<<
And YAY for 900 posts!!!!!!!!
<<<<<

cool thx, yeah i kno a guy in school with msp and he was sellin me his spare exhaust cam for $120, since i'm knew to this i dint kno if MSP exhaust cam was good for my 2.0 and if i had to do anythin extra to it.
do you have any idea about SR MotorSports Adjustable CamGears and Eibach EVS Spring Kit
http://corksport.com/store/category/4qbu.21/99p-engine.html
would they be good upgrade with JDM cam, and one more thing .... after all this installed is there any fine tunning required?? once again srry for any n00b questions. (uhm)

thx a bunch

peace

just use the search option you'll find out lots of things. i believe the stock cams are the same in the msp, but who knows. just do a search you'll be bound to find the tons of threads with this subject

yeah i found the thread with helpful info, i was only sayin i dint know back than but i wish i was :( ..... $120 for MSP exhaust cam wasn't much i think

peace

Oh and it isn't exactly 180 degrees between the intake and exhaust cam pins. I don't know the number offhand, 178 or something.

I have the FS-ZE intake cam.. was it worth buying 450 dollars of air tools to install? Probably not. Would I do it again? Doubt it. Only time will tell though, I haven't ever dynoed my car so I have no clue if it netted any gains.

For now I'll assume I'm 100whp.

a guy at local shop told me he would to the install for 200, that for intake and exhaust cams and cam gears.... too much ??? or seems right??? 240 including valve springs

peace

That's not bad at all. A lot cheaper than the route I went (buying all the air tools just to take off the crank pulley). I mean if you want to go all out with NA mods it is a piece of the buzzle. Does that price include repinning your intake cam to be an exhaust cam? Does it include checking valve lash also? I haven't had the valve lash checked but since the FS-ZE cam basically just has a longer duration and that's it, it should be a problem. Eventually I want to get my car in to a shop (it has never been in to a shop in it's life) to just make sure everything is good.

repinning not included in price, but i figured i would check with the guy in school if he still has that MSP exhaust cam to sell it to me 4 like $100, since i cant afford to be too long w/o a car so i would just take it to the shop with all the parts rdy for install, what kind of diff did u notice after install?? i plan to go N/A all the way for now too, i allrdy have some bolt-ons and for the future this is what i plan on

J-Spec 2.0 FSZE intake cam
MSP exhaust cam
Adjustable Cam Gears
J-Spec 2.0 FSZE Pistons(10.4 to 1) or SR MotorSports Pistons (10.7 to 1)
complete pulley set
Intake mani (from ken)
High Flow converter
Better fuel pump
Some fine tunning (whateva that is lolz)
and ????????

hey quick question, perhaps u kno, ok after the intake and exhaust cams are installed along with adjustable cam gears is there anything else required...u know like tunning and adjusting so they work well together which would create more HP and of-cours more safer for engine...or it's just basic remove the old install the new?
thx for the help bro

peace

LX_StreetGlow said:
repinning not included in price, but i figured i would check with the guy in school if he still has that MSP exhaust cam to sell it to me 4 like $100, since i cant afford to be too long w/o a car so i would just take it to the shop with all the parts rdy for install, what kind of diff did u notice after install?? i plan to go N/A all the way for now too, i allrdy have some bolt-ons and for the future this is what i plan on

J-Spec 2.0 FSZE intake cam
MSP exhaust cam
Adjustable Cam Gears
J-Spec 2.0 FSZE Pistons(10.4 to 1) or SR MotorSports Pistons (10.7 to 1)
complete pulley set
Intake mani (from ken)
High Flow converter
Better fuel pump
Some fine tunning (whateva that is lolz)
and ????????

hey quick question, perhaps u kno, ok after the intake and exhaust cams are installed along with adjustable cam gears is there anything else required...u know like tunning and adjusting so they work well together which would create more HP and of-cours more safer for engine...or it's just basic remove the old install the new?
thx for the help bro

peace

You'll probably net some gains just from having the cams installed, but the real beauty of adjustable cam gears is taking the car on the dyno and advancing or retarding the timing on the cams to see where the car performs the best. I'm talking out of my ass of course because I haven't done this myself. This is why you see a lot of people with cut valve covers with the cam gears exposed though, it allows quick tuning.

Also, why the MSP exhaust cam? It is the same exhaust cam you are running in your car. If anything, you'd want the MSP intake cam or any FS-DE intake cam. That's the one you are going to get repinned to exhaust cam specs anyway. I have one sitting in my garage eventually planning for the same thing. The shop will need to know the stock exhaust cam specs to do the repinning though as it isn't 180 degrees off.

I think I'll send my car to a good import shop (I have no idea where/if there is one near me) and have them repin the intake cam to exhaust cam specs, and install it and a new timing belt and then just check on everything with the engine and car in general to make sure everything is all set for going high mileage (I'm at 62500 right now).

Oh and here's some info from theMAN's Protege FAQ (http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/):

Protege FAQ said:
Intake cam duration
230 @ 0.003"
Intake cam opening
2 BTDC
Intake cam closing
48 ABDC
Intake cam lobe height
43.700mm (1.7205")
Intake cam base circle
35.052mm (1.380")
Intake valve lift
8.6487mm (0.3405")
Exhaust cam duration
230 @ 0.003"
Exhaust cam opening
48 BBDC
Exhaust cam close
2 ATDC
Exhaust cam lobe height
43.225mm (1.7018")
Exhaust cam base circle
35.052mm (1.380")
Exhaust valve lift
8.1737mm (0.3218")
Valve overlap

Maybe that is enough info for the shop to see about repinning? I'm not really certain.

Oh here is some more info regarding the FS-ZE intake cam too if you haven't already read it:
Protege FAQ said:
If you are talking about aftermarket cams, then no, none are available.
Don't give your hopes up however. If you own a car with a 1.8 or 2.0 liter
engine, you can get a factory intake cam from the JDM FS-ZE engine (which
has a lift of .341 and the duration 210 @.050). A short run of MazdaSpeed
exhaust cams was also recently made available for that engine and has a lift of
.341, and the duration of 210 @.050. The early version of the MazdaSpeed
exhaust cam (FS9P-12-440) supposedly performs better (by about 1-1.5%
@6000rpm) than the revised version. A TSB was issued in Japan concerning
stalling/idling issues under cold engine and/or cold weather situations and thus
the exhaust cam timing had to be reduced slightly in order to decrease over-
lap from 17.5 to 10.5.
Note that the stock intake cam has
lift of .341 and a duration of 198 @.050.
while the stock exhaust cam has
lift of .322 and a duration of 200 @.050.
Part numbers as follows:
FS-ZE intake cam: FSH9-12-420

cool thx for info bro, wow i din't know that MSP exhaust cam is same as the one in 2.0, i used to think that MSP exhaust cam was a bit more aggresive,, interesting

so do you think it would be fine for now if i just keep the one that i have in there and just install intake cam and cam gears, and later on i just get stock cam re-pinned for exhaust cam or do i have to do it at the same time i get new intake cam installed.

thx again

peace

LX_StreetGlow said:
cool thx for info bro, wow i din't know that MSP exhaust cam is same as the one in 2.0, i used to think that MSP exhaust cam was a bit more aggresive,, interesting

so do you think it would be fine for now if i just keep the one that i have in there and just install intake cam and cam gears, and later on i just get stock cam re-pinned for exhaust cam or do i have to do it at the same time i get new intake cam installed.

thx again

peace

hmm somehow I missed this post months ago haha. In case you haven't already done it.. yeah, it's fine to just have the cam gears and intake cam installed and then do the exhaust cam later, but if you are doing it yourself you can save yourself a lot of headache and do it all at once.

still havent, but will soon.... had three tickets to pay off..damn pigs, I mean cops. and also i had to get new tires and rims so that sat me back a bit as well ... right now i'm waitin for next gb on rr udp and also I wanna drop in the mam catless midpipe and after that i'll be dropping in gears and cams, and i'm also gonna save and get new valve springs....after that's in place i'll go with microtech to help take advantage of evrytin...lets see how far NA will take me

peace

I hope I didn't post this to late!!!! Make sure they put in new lifters with the new cam!!! When they say you gatta let the cam break in they mean let it wear in with the lifters. if you use the old lifters it will work but you won't get as much of a gain as you could and it will wear the cam prematurly.

na not to late, there'r few other things that i'm tryin to do 1st a than cams n' gears, but thx on heads up, whats the best place to get em?

peace

I heard from a few people that new lifters weren't at all needed because the j-spec cam doesn't have higher lift, just greater duration.

maybe that would explain feeling no gain from the cam though? I dunno.

KanseiZM said:
I heard from a few people that new lifters weren't at all needed because the j-spec cam doesn't have higher lift, just greater duration.

maybe that would explain feeling no gain from the cam though? I dunno.

thats correct. You are not required to get new lifters as the J-spec intake camshaft has the EXACT same lift as the US-Spec one but just longer duration. I have it

Back