Brake dust ?

ForceFed

:
Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.
I just bought a car that has obviously been neglected in the wheel cleaning dept. and it has some stubborn old brake dust...What can I use to get this off...or has it become a permanently stained wheel...Its a 97 Z24 BTW with silver painted stock wheels...I like them for stockers,but if they dont come clean then I am going to buy a set of wheels and tires for it.

You can use some stuff called "aircraft film remover" or something along those lines. Be very careful with the stuff though. Leave it on too long and it will eat through the clearcoat and paint. Also make sure you wear heavy duty gloves when you handle the stuff.

If that sounds a bit extreme, there's a few other things you can try.
1. Turtle Wax polishing compound.
2. VERY fine grit sandpaper.
3. Over the counter de-greasing cream and a toothbrush
4. Dremel with a buffer bit and some soap/de-greaser.

You guys are giving me options that are not even legit here...If I wanted to re-paint the friggin wheels I would just wet sand them and do it....I just want them clean and I know someone here has had some FIRST HAND experience with removing stubborn Brake dust..Im not looking for the try this...I am looking for the "I used this and this worked" . I could pop out hypotheticals all day long that could "possibly" cause damage to the finish. Where are my detailing friends here in the detailers section?

If the brakedust has been left on for awhile, don't be surprised if the clearcoat and paint are eaten away.

Simoniz makes a good general purpose wheel cleaner with brake dust protectant. You'll need a decent wheel brush too.

P21s wheel cleaner. Guaranteed to never harm any wheel surface. Factory recommended by Porsche, VW, and Mercedes-Benz.

On a '99 I30:

P21S_and_Wheel-C.jpg

WheelAfter-C.jpg

It took me about 5 minutes per wheel to get those results, by agitating with a firm sponge. Realize though, that some wheels will get permanently etched by brake dust if it's allowed to sit for a long time. Sometimes the neglect will come back to bite you in the ass.

i just use water with a cloth to get rid of the break dust, it probably doesn't prevent the dust from building back up again but i know it makes it look swelll for the time being

Back