02 Mazda P5; Front Windshield Washer Probs

Denny

I just noticed my front windshield washer does not work anymore. Rear window washer works fine. Hoses look OK. No sound when activated. Anyone with a problem like this? Likely cause, switch, motor or ????

Thanks

Denny

The pump perhaps? I don't know if there is a separate pump for the rear washer but I wouldn't think so since they share the same reservoir. There is no pump sound when you activate the front washers, but what about with the rear? I don't use the rear washer that often so I don't remember if it makes a sound or not.

Welcome to the forums! We're getting a ton of new people lately.

Update

It started working again, all by itself! Who knows ...................?

Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to be back.

Denny

Oh yeah I forgot to come back with the info I stumbled upon yesterday. I had my car apart doing a ton of work yesterday and I had the bumper off and saw that there are in fact two pumps for our washer fluid. One pump for the front, one for the back. They looked like the same pump though, at least the same size. I don't think I took a pic but it isn't anything special.

The only thing that sucks is if you haven't ever taken the front bumper cover off it might take a while. I've done it a few times so I got it off in five minutes, but I remember when I first did it I had just bought the car a few weeks prior so I wasn't really used to where all the screws were yet. Three plastic screws in each wheelwell, then pull the wheelwell trim back and there are two bolts between the bumper and fender on each side. Underneath the bumper in the front there's two bolts, and two bolts and two pop clips to take off the top front grille that holds the top of the bumper on. Release the clips on each side at the headlight and bam the bumper is off. Then you can clearly see the washer fluid tank and the two pumps.

Then again, you could take it to the dealership if you are still under warranty. :)

Glad to hear it's working again for you though!

Back