front right wheel shaking under load?

tokstad

:
Protege 5 2003
Our Mazda5 just turned 1000 miles today and we were out on a road trip through the Oregon mountains and noticed when making a fast left hand curves the front right wheel felt like it was vibrating a bit, the steering and front suspension felt like something was not quite right.... We couldn't get it to do it on fast sweeping right hand corners?

First I thought it might be the tires but since both sides didn't do it I am leaning towards maybe something in the suspension being faulty?

Anyone else have similar concerns? Might be a wheel bearing or a suspension bushing? Thought I'd check with you guys before I sent it off to the dealer.

Thanks!

Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem..... I suspect it's a out of balance/round tire or a mount/bushing problem. I guess Mazda has a TSB that came out in January regarding this.

Any others thoughts?

Is it safe to assume that you've already checked the tire pressures and verified that the lug nuts are torqued correctly?

I would think a slightly loosed lug nut(s) on the front right wheel may cause this problem. It wouldn't show up during normal driving, but when you're turning hard to the left like that it's putting a lot of load on the right front wheel.

It's my guess. :)

Swapped the driver and passenger front tires to see if shaking transfers sides, then I'll know if it's the tires. When I pulled the lugs off they didn't seem very torqued down. I wouldn't say loose but maybe 25ft/lbs? I retorqued to 70 so they're not going anywhere now.

We'll see. Now we've just got to go find some curvey roads to test it.

tokstad said:
Swapped the driver and passenger front tires to see if shaking transfers sides, then I'll know if it's the tires. When I pulled the lugs off they didn't seem very torqued down. I wouldn't say loose but maybe 25ft/lbs? I retorqued to 70 so they're not going anywhere now.

We'll see. Now we've just got to go find some curvey roads to test it.

I just got back from a 700 mile road trip, and guess what about half way through the same thing started to happen. Before I take it to the dealer I am wondering if you have an update?

Thanx

Back