400whp Full Build Up Q&A

benben84

:
2003 Black Mica MSP, 2007 CWP CX-7, 2004 JBP WRX
Alright, heres the deal, I am planning a full build for my MSP and had a few questions. I've searched the site long and hard but didn't find answers for everything. I plan on using a local very reputable shop(D and D Rods and Mods) for everything and before I drop the bomb to them I would like to know as much as possible first. I am building the car to be a dependable daily driver with around 230-250whp and also be able to crank the boost and push around 400whp when needed, like at the track. I would like to at least run low 11's in quarter mile. I like to drive my vehicles a little hard so it needs to withstand a little abuse. I know this is a huge project but I do not want to cut any corners, so that is why I want to get everyones opinions, and suggestions first. Below is a list of things I plan on getting to complement what I already have (check my sig for owned mods):

Built FS-DE with stroker kit
AEM EMS - (dont know price yet but shop is AEM certified)
ProtegeGarage Transmission Upgrade Kit - $899
GT2871R Turbo - $1,195
GReddy PRofec Type-S Electronic Boost Controller - $319
GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - $85
HKS Universal Circle Earth Grounding System - $136
MAZDASPEED Turbo Stud Replacement Kit - $46
ARP Head Studs - $119
Fidanza 7.5 lb Light Weight Aluminum Flywheel - $349
Spec Stage 3 Full face Clutch - $589
AEM Cold Air Intake - $279

Give me all your suggestions and opinions on what you think of the list or if I am missing anything. What rods/pistons should I go with? long rod or stock length? Also, I read something about crank walk and was wondering what that is? Is there a better turbo for my setup than I have listed? Will the transmission upgrade hold up to that amount of power? Will I need new axle shafts? Will my FMIC flow enough? I probably will come up with more questions as time goes on but I guess we'll start with these.

Last edited:
You're going to probably need a fully built engine. Rods, pistons, machine work. And then probably some headwork(port & polish head, valves, retainers, etc.) too if you think you're going to run low 11's in your car.

If I had a dollar for every thread like this. No offense.

But I seriously dont know how you're going to expect 400whp one minute but a daily 250whp car the next. There are certain things that you'll need for an 11 sec. car that wont be either street legal or safe. And with front and rear motor mounts, gas costs now a days and a full racing clutch... good luck with traffic jams and enjoying a ride around the block. If you're going to build the car, make it for one or the other. As they say, you cant have your cake and eat it too. Thats why mine's a 250whp daily driver at 15 psi and not 350 at 30psi. The car wont last long with all that wear and tear. But good luck though.

Yeah... fully built motor, head work, cams, LSD, etc..... 400hp is asking for a LOT out of one of these.

Why do you need two intakes though?

Last edited:
$5612 anf thats without rods and pistons and including 1400 for the AEM. So lets add another 2gs for rods pistons, arp studs.

Your going to spend close to 8000 dollars on a car thats worth 12gs, then your going to expect to get 400hp with it,LOL!!!!

OMG wait I cant stop lauging at this, is this a joke???,LOLOLOLOLLLL!!!!!

Save your cash and get a car thats capable of that first like a TT supra, MR2T, 350z SC'ed, TT300zx. Then youll have that and still have cash left over to pay your utilities and gas card bill.

there's alot more work/parts needed that aren't on that list.

if the shop is so reputable, they should know what you need. just ask em.

I would sugest a 2.0L FS-DE Built Protege Motor from Mental Adictions Motorsports.

http://**************************.c...d=204&osCsid=7e6bc0a2cf57c3af1216f0abea39bf21

$2,895.00

& With the Right Mods & proper tuning, I could see 350whp at arround 20psi - 22psi and if you Blast a 50 shot of Nos, Voi-La 400whp (Boost controler keeps you arround 12psi - 15psi for arround 270whp for daily driving)

Good luck on your build, you must have deep pockets, and its a GREAT platform to work with.

HorsepowerFreak said:
It's nitrous

Soooooo? (OMG Its Nitrous not NoS (poke) arnt you a winner (thumb) )

Its a short name, but you already knew that. So whats your point?

Last edited:
Rac3rX said:
Soooooo? (OMG Its Nitrous not NoS (poke) arnt you a winner (thumb) )

Its a short name, but you already knew that. So whats your point?

Then spare him the grief of correcting you and talk like you know something about tuning/building cars... (first)

Incorrect. "NOS" is not the short name for nitrous oxide. NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a company who manufactures nitrous injection products and the name made popular (actually destroyed) by the same movie who made being a total ricer cool..... No other than ye olde Fast and the Furious.

Last edited:
ghost said:
Then spare him the grief of correcting you and talk like you know something about tuning/building cars... (first)

Ohh EXCUSE ME!!!!! for having on opinion!!!!

& I know a thing or 2 (You should make assumptions they are the mother of all F-ups)

& its a Hell of alot faster to type nos then nitrous & everybody Knows whats being talked about, correcting it is being a ASS HOLE! Its a SHORT TERM, nothing to b**** like a sissie about, because I have a diferent opinion on something else, it shows lack of charachter.

And who gives a rates ass about F&F Stop Crying about a stupid ricer flick and MOVE ON!!!!

Last edited:
Incorrect again.... Assumptions are not the mother of all F-ups. Assumptions are when you make an ass out of you and me. (ie, ASS-U-ME)

*man is it friday or what.

HorsepowerFreak said:
Incorrect again.... Assumptions are not the mother of all F-ups. Assumptions are when you make an ass out of you and me. (ie, ASS-U-ME)

"Assumptions are the Mother of all f-ups"

&

"Assumptions are when you make an ass out of you and me"

Behind every F-up, is a Ass making an assumption (2 expressions) The world isnt limited to one, so keep your "Corrections" for somebody who cares!

Especially when it only takes one to make an assumption, but your expression applyes to 2. DA!!!

the poor guy is just trying to get input, take the flame to pm's already...

on topic: very cool idea but its gonna cost huge $$'s, im with ghost on buying a car like a supra tt, but im a lazy sob thus why i have my msp since i only desire 180-200whp :D

edit: im in it for the rarity factor and just having a really fun daily driver. im not out to break land-speed records

Dude chill.... I'm an immature punk having fun (speaking of which, you have 69 posts)

I'm a car guy before I'm a vendor.... I'm here for fun, learning, and giving advice before I'm here to sell stuf. :thumbs-up:

Back