Mazda protege with a little rattle when the engine is cold.

MLorcaP

Hi all,
I have a concern with my Protege. I bought this car to a Mazda Dealer on Nov'2004 (35K mi): Mazda Protege 2002 LX 2.0 Auto. It is almost 66K mi today.

From the beginning driving the car, I felt something weird. When the engine is cold, I can hear a little rattle when I push the accelerator. This rattle stop when the engine raise normal temperature. I went to the Dealer (two weeks after) and the Mechanic could not find anything abnormal, but he does not test the car with the engine cold (I think simply they ignore my comments). I did perform the 30K maintenance schedule in the Mazda Dealer with almost 40K miles, and the issue was the same.

After all this time using the car, the car does not run as smooth as in the beginning. It is a little rough when I have the accelerator pushed (at idle time does not feel anything abnormal) ... and still having the issue when the engine is cold. (deadhorse

I thought may be it is normal in this car and I tried to live with it, but few weeks ago it starts having a Dashboard vibration noise when I push the accelerator (specifically when the engine raise the higest RPM before next shift). I think the vibration could be worst in the future, and I do not know if the engine is having problem and it become in a expensive repair.

I drove another Protege with the same engine, same year, and it does not have same behavior.

MazdaUSA.com does not show any recall on this car.

Do you have any clue about this issue?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Manuel

yep, sounds like vtcs. mine does the same thing. im almost positive that when i go to do the vtsc removal im going to find a couple screws missing, like a lot of other people have.

sam1 said:
yep, sounds like vtcs. mine does the same thing. im almost positive that when i go to do the vtsc removal im going to find a couple screws missing, like a lot of other people have.
Sam,
What is a VTCS? Sorry if I sound dumb in asking..(peep)

My girlfriend's '02 Protege has a rattle sound coming from the dash. It happens when the rpms climb anywhere from 3k to 6k and does not seem to be speed dependant.

Thanks!!

Back