My Mazda5 and Odyssey test drives and commments

boytoys

:
Mazda 5 GT
For some who may be interested, i had an Odyssey 2002 and now have a Honda Element and is now deciding to switch to Mazda 5 so, on Monday, 7 month pregnant wife, 6 year old daugther went to our local dealer to test drive both the 5 and Ody. This is our own opionion and feedback, so please pardon us. It will be subjective. We are located in Ontario, Canada. So the numbers and reference is very much referring to Toronto.

Mazda5 - GT Auto, Black,

We went to test drive with the family of 3 and a half. (well the expectant mother counts 1.5) and the salesman, went out together to 401 merge to traffic from Dixie to Hwy 10, speed up to 100 km, rpm reads comfortably 2700 or thereabouts. and on the way back, i speed up to 120 km/hr and the 4 banger handles it no problem. The wind noise across where the airport strip is just as much as i experienced for Element since the car is tall but the forward wind drag is siginificantly less and feels less clumsy as we speed up to the same point 120k/hr. Honda Element being so square and flat is not very aerodynamics as most R/C hobbyist knows, as just like our 1/10, it gets worst at higher speed as it has to break a bigger hole in the wall of air. The Mazda5 has a very raked windshield which helps a lot when it was at speed 120k/hr. This is nice as it means it is very stable at highway speed when i have to go to different suppliers to restock. I dont drive over 120, and normally only on passing.

My wife and daugther felt very comfortable sitting in the 2nd row while i was driving. The internal convenience features for the price of this car is amazing... First we were stunned that it has even outside temperature indicator since only premium cars has this feature. Then we found out that the sliding door in GT albeit not completely electronic like our older 2nd gen Odyssey, is still very easy to slide and the last pull/lock is actually electronically motorised. Space is not an issue in the 2nd row for a family of 4. We do however love the convenience of the foldable 3rd row seats. In most days, it will be used for carrying stock or grocerys, or Laughing our Tamiya corner dots and Road Rail track materials. If we need to really move longer track materials, we can fold down the 2nd row seats. Other convenience features are like 12V power outlet at back, same as Element Laughing is useful for pitting purpose...12V DC powered chargers like APS Dyno Charger, LRP Pulsar, Duratrax ICE, etc.

My wife also took a short drive and she love the handling of it as it seems like a car more. She hate my skirted pimped up 2002 Odyssey as it obivously is a van, although drives slightly better than some others but still have more body roll, feels long and clumsyfor her duties at Walmart, Square One, and generally going around places. She felt a lot more comfortable driving Element but the VTEC engine is good but not as refined in the rpm range we tested.

Overall the fit and finish is well made for made in Japan Mazda5, this GT model also have sunroofand full side airbag and curtain, which is one of my requirement. I specificly test the Mazda5 going over speed bumps near a Montana restaurant at Dixie as it was reported that Mazda5 has a front crunching noise caused by a bushing rubbing the strut towers (yeah, i follow many car forums, got this from MazdaV.com) and a redesign is on its way. Since our test car has only 100 km on it, it didn't show any thumping noise and the ride is evidently smooth going on speed bumps at reasonably slow speed. My Element has a very stiff ride.

So far, the future need of low step in, sliding door is the reason to go for the 5; speaking of low step in, i was surprised that the MPV has almost (not quite) the same step in height as my Element. My daugther can climb in but not without some difficulty. Mazda5 was a piece of cake for her now.

2006 Odyssey, EX, Gun Metal

Next we went to our favourite honda dealership, and test drove a EX Odyssey. I actually wanted to test a EX-L with the new VCM but i guess time contraints (daugther has to go swimming) wouldn't even allow me to go on the 401 anyway so we just drove around the block with a EX. I felt no new improvement except for general asthetics in the way the dash were arranged. IMHO, it looks busy. I was looking for knob for the fan to turn down so that the wind draft noise is lower and i can hear the car itself... Smooth, Refined Engine is what this V6 vtec offers. Big and luxurious. and my wife keep asking me how does it drive, i couldnt answer her, as it felt the same as our old one.

In this generation of Honda Odyssey, there were minor improvements including now 3rd row stow away or magic seats is now 40/60 spilt. but the materials are still the same, it weights a lot and no woman can handle that.. in the past, i am very reluctant to use this feature as the way it uses forces to bring them out and lock in place IMHO is not modern at all. There must be some way to improve the hinges, levers and angles (using motion) such that it weighs less than it is for users. As far as this is concern, i still believe it is not user friendly at all, the rear seats weights almost 100-150 lbs as far as i remembered and when u r standing out in the lot, have to bend your back, to lift this, that's not good. I was hoping that this situation has improved in the new odyssey.

The transmission seemed smooth going over different speed points and when i drove to the speed bumps, i found it very nice indeed since the wheelbase is longer, it certainly would felt less compounded. but the truck is heavy and hence the drop seems more heavy and to this i think the shocks did a great job. Afterall, this truck is not light.

The test truck was a EX with fabric, the one we want is VCM, which only comes in leather, so i was offered to see a EX-L with leather, when i went inside, i didn't like leather myself. i prefer fabric. and i was not impressed with the type of leather that was used nor was i liking the finish. I looked at Mazda MPV's GT models leather finish, it is more refined.

I have not tested other V6 Rav4 or MY07 Santa Fe or MY07 CRV yet as i believe they are different class; I like Honda cars but i am slowly beginning to think that they are too conservative. Only the Element has broken out to be able to fit my bill. High utility value, large cargo space, I had to settle for a Honda Odyssey before as there isn't any car back in 2001 that fit my purpose. Advertising, cargo, track materials, ppl hauler, etc. I am also not a fan of domestics, no offence, but i had no experience, therefore afraid to switch.

I have not tested other Mini Vans as i am not exactly needing a mini van. i just need high utility value, wide open doors, low step in, more than 4 seats .. Element was lovely and i just need to plan on my switch now...

I think i am very close to deciding..Wife and daugther votes for Mazda5 for now. For simplicity, i can roll over to a new odyssey and pay a monthly 286 more than what i pay today. For a mazda5, i will have to find someone assume my lease of the Element, and then i can go shopping for a mazda5, and i will pay $28 more than what i pay today. Tough.....

Right now, we have no decision but to wait. We will continue to keep Element for this summer and see if it is really inconvenient for the new family member, and my father/mother coming in June etc...However, the car will be posted for LEASE TAKEOVER at http://www.leasebusters.com so if anyone is interested, please refer us ...

I wonder what color should i choose and what decals or vinyls design should i use....may be i ask Jason Kraemers to design a mascot or choose one from www.BabyHug.com

BTW, there are also other CUV (Crossovers) coming out including Acura's RDX Turbocharged and Mazda CX-7 also a turbocharged ....IMHO, they are same as CRV, X3 type..or my Element (less the suicide door)

I forgot to mention, i only want a vehicle that has 4 cyl. Odyssey seems too thirsty..and i was told by some of our own customers that the VCM improves a lot for highway use. Anyway, i like the fact that i can use regular unlead and not premium fuel. Like i said, i hate paying for premium fuel, i dont need higher performance either as i only race R/C cars. so RDX and CX-7 is worth drooling...but still doesn't fit my bill.

At one point, i really like MDX back in 2001, they said i had to wait 4 months, so i chosed the Odyssey. I also like Lexus RX330 now 350, and the all new IS250 but it is way out of my budget. I will look forward to a R/C version instead...

Forums that i follow

www.odyclub.com - Honda Odysseey forums i used before purchase of my 2002 ody
www.hondaelement.org - Honda Element forums i used before purchase and still frequents
www.cartalkcanada.com/forum - i frequent to learn about all types of cars
www.edmunds.com - just following them
www.mazdav.com - a sub forum of MazdaSpeed (love to have a Miata for track, but can only have a Tamiya M04M )
www.mbcanada.com - just to follow a club of my wife's car
www.vtec.net - for just following anything Honda and vtec....
www.hondatrucks.com - to look at all different Honda trucks
www.somc.on.ca - Southern Ontarion Mini Club (my first car is a Mini 850, 2nd car is Mini Cooper S, still wanted a BMW Mini, but can only drive Tamiya M03L Mini Cooper)

It's nice to see someone liking the Mazda5 as a replacement for a minivan, I really didn't think many people would buy it for that rearson. I love them because they look awesome and the interior on them is great. If the small size isn't an issue I say go for it. It probably gets much better gas mileage.

I'm tempted to trade my Protege5 for one every time I see them, and I'm a college student who rarely has more than 1 other person in the car! They just have such an awesome look to them, they really stand out.

Mazda certainly hit the dime with the fun to drive AND great looks factor in their latest generation of cars.

I myself am a recent grad, and like zverg, rarely have more than 1 person in the car too! I certainly do enjoy driving my Mazda 5... fun fun fun!

Hopefully you will be able to find someone to take over your lease. From the looks of it, I think your whole family will definitely enjoy the Mazda 5 (thumb)

zverg, if you want to trade in your P5, I'd say go for it :)

Back