Bug Deflector

I have installed the mazda5 bug deflector over the weekend (will post pics soon). On the installation manual, it mentions not to use it in the automatic car wash. My question is, do we take it off before going though car wash ( would this not damage to bumpon) or not to use it period?

Thanks

I won't even consider it.. however, I never used the plastic feet that came with the kit because I never intended my installations to be permanent to begin with (was going to use them only for road trips, but later on the look grew on me) so I got a bunch of smaller ones (can't buy those big ones at the store) from home depot, glued them on top of each other till they're about the same height as the originals and then put them on the car.... works good and I don't have to give a s*** when one falls off... I just make another one and put the new one on

canadianexpress said:
I have installed the mazda5 bug deflector over the weekend (will post pics soon). On the installation manual, it mentions not to use it in the automatic car wash. My question is, do we take it off before going though car wash ( would this not damage to bumpon) or not to use it period?

Thanks

DONT GO THROUGH THE CARWASH WITH IT ON, dammage to it and your hood.

The washers apply pressure to it and it then applies pressure to the "bump spots" and that dents your hood (or dents the paint, but its tha same difference), & or scratches the hood where a "bump stop" might of fell off. and it could also break the bug deflector itself.

However your all good if you pop it off before you go in :)

Rac3rX said:
DONT GO THROUGH THE CARWASH WITH IT ON, dammage to it and your hood.

The washers apply pressure to it and it then applies pressure to the "bump spots" and that dents your hood (or dents the paint, but its tha same difference), & or scratches the hood where a "bump stop" might of fell off. and it could also break the bug deflector itself.

However your all good if you pop it off before you go in :)

I have never heard of that happening, I have one on my truck and it is installed the same way. I have never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.

I went thru one and it missed the entire rear gate, bumper and half the under side on the sides and rear. So, it washed 65% of the car. I wanted to see if that was even an option when I was tired and lazy. Nope, it's hand washes for life.

Here is the pic that I finally took. not a great angle by all means.

Attachments

• dcp_1535.jpg
    dcp_1535.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 436
Well I had both type (deflector and bra) and had bad experiences with both.
1. Bras
I really don't know why they continue to do those crap. Mine decolored my hood, higly scratch it becaude of dirt inside. Ugly indeed

2. Deflectors
Well the dumbass that installed it glued the rubber pads on the deflector and not on the car (omg) . Well it was my 1st card and I did not know, but vibrations damaged the paint to the point i could saw underneath.

So, let say a deflector is correctly installed, does it work well with the 5? I do some 150km trips once in a while and bugs are common on the road lol.

Last edited:
P_bouchr said:
Well I had both type (deflector and bra) and had bad experiences with both.
1. Bras
I really don't know why they continue to do those crap. Mine decolored my hood, higly scratch it becaude of dirt inside. Ugly indeed

2. Deflectors
Well the dumbass that installed it glued the rubber pads on the deflector and not on the car (omg) . Well it was my 1st card and I did not know, but vibrations damaged the paint to the point i could saw underneath.

So, let say a deflector is correctly installed, does it work well with the 5? I do some 150km trips once in a while and bugs are common on the road lol.
Mine has been correctly installed as well as Zoom5Zoom's and I think they are well worth the while..I think the deflector does a good job.

yup I installed mine on my own as per the instructions and all is fine.... not a bug has complained of faded paint before death.

-pixy- said:
I have never heard of that happening, I have one on my truck and it is installed the same way. I have never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.

I agree - I have bug deflectors on both of my vehicles and never had a problem when going through a no-touch car wash.

heya P

Yup got to stick rubber pads in specific spots to keep the flex and vibration from the bug deflector......

Hey I was rereading this - really think about getting one :).

DO NOT GO THROUGH A AUTOMATIC CAR WASH. I have already broke one this way. Not with the water during the wash cycle. It's the heating cycle that can break it. As soon as that big dryer came near the hood, crack, the deflector was like 30 feets in front of the car, ouside the car wash. Luckyly, it did not damage my 95 Neon, and fortunately, the garage refunded me so I could buy a new one. Sometime there is a button for low pressure drying before you enter the car wash.

But why go there anyway? I mean I have a manual car wash near home - they charge 8$ exterior only. At the gas station it's like what: 6.50$? It's never doing a good job anyway.

*Starts up email program and send email to vendor about availability...*

Anyone have knowledge of the clear bras? The 3M clear film stuff? Seems like the best of both worlds.

P_bouchr said:
Hey I was rereading this - really think about getting one :).

DO NOT GO THROUGH A AUTOMATIC CAR WASH. I have already broke one this way. Not with the water during the wash cycle. It's the heating cycle that can break it. As soon as that big dryer came near the hood, crack, the deflector was like 30 feets in front of the car, ouside the car wash. Luckyly, it did not damage my 95 Neon, and fortunately, the garage refunded me so I could buy a new one. Sometime there is a button for low pressure drying before you enter the car wash.

But why go there anyway? I mean I have a manual car wash near home - they charge 8$ exterior only. At the gas station it's like what: 6.50$? It's never doing a good job anyway.

*Starts up email program and send email to vendor about availability...*

My concern with the washing is more in the winter time. Here in the great white north (Toronto) they use quite a bit of salt on the roads, and most likely have to visit the wash every 2 weeks. But even removing the deflector everytime can become some what of a pain.

I had the 3M film put on. With in 2 weeks, I had these yellow stains that looked like they came from bug splats. Nothing I tried would take them off.

I took it back to the dealer and they said they would re-apply it, but I am concerned about it happening again.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Last edited:
I looked up the product they applied to your car and if you look real close to the fine print it says this Quote

"LARGE CALGARY FLYING HORSE FLYS VOID WARRANTY AND MAY CAUSE YELLOW STAINS"

Sorry had to ding at that ........ (peep)

Back