P5 spark plug replacement procedure needed

bobalink

Does anyone have a write-up on replacing spark plugs in the P5? I found an online Mazda service manual, but it doesn't even explain how to remove the plugs.

Thanks,
Bob D.

Last edited:
Slowly and carefully slide the ignition coil out, it is a snug fit at the opening. NGK is the best and check out this thread for other good tune up info: Search

Thanks for all of your replies to my question about spark plug replacement for the P5. Things have changed a bit since I worked on my previous car (1986 Dodge Colt.), and the mistakes are a lot more expensive.

Bob D.

Just in case there's any confusion:
1) unplug the spark wires from the coil packs (two black boxes on top of the valve cover).
2) Remove wires by pulling up.
3) Unscrew two bolts holding each coil pack down.
4) Remove coil packs by pulling up.
5) Using extension and sparkplug socket, remove plugs.
6) Put new plugs in, tighten to 18 lb/ft (I just hand tighten, and then give a quarter-turn with the wrench)
7) Replace everything in opposite order.
8) Go have a beer.

You can use diaelectric grease if you wish. I do every now and again. Your only realy worry is over-tighening a plug and stripping the threads, so don't do that. :D

Pretzellogic said:
Just in case there's any confusion:
1) unplug the spark wires from the coil packs (two black boxes on top of the valve cover).
2) Remove wires by pulling up.
3) Unscrew two bolts holding each coil pack down.
4) Remove coil packs by pulling up.
5) Using extension and sparkplug socket, remove plugs.
6) Put new plugs in, tighten to 18 lb/ft (I just hand tighten, and then give a quarter-turn with the wrench)
7) Replace everything in opposite order.
8) Go have a beer.

You can use diaelectric grease if you wish. I do every now and again. Your only realy worry is over-tighening a plug and stripping the threads, so don't do that. :D
Wow, really, 18 lb/ft? I just did it yesterday and gave it about half a turn, which works out to around 25 lb/ft. Hope it doesn't make a difference.

clicknext said:
Wow, really, 18 lb/ft? I just did it yesterday and gave it about half a turn, which works out to around 25 lb/ft. Hope it doesn't make a difference.
Well, I was talking a quarter turn with a normal wrench, not my crappy torque wrench.

As long as you don't strip the threads, you're fine.

What? No warnings about being careful not to seperate the boot from the coil pack when it gets hung on the edge of the hole pulling it out? That's just mean.

Also, it's a good idea to dust off/clean the valve cover BEFORE removing anything, that way you don't have crap falling into the engine.

Back