Snow chains/cables?

bearymore

I just got a new 5 and really love it. It'll go well with my beloved 93 Miata.

About once or twice a year we go into the California mountains for cross country skiing. If there is snow on the road, the Highway Patrol requires tire chains. Since the only time we have to worry about snow is on these two trips, snow tires are not a reasonable option. The manual and the dealer told us that chains are a no no. Figuring that each trip would require maybe 40 miles max with the chains or cables on, is there any kind of product that we could use that would satisfy the highway patrol and not damage the car? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about chains on the Mz5, but looking at the wheel wells it looks like a pretty tight clearance. I wouldn't want to be the first to experiment with chains in there! But if you take the plunge, please let us know what happens....

What about snow tires, does that relieve the need to wear chains according to CHiP?

Have you considered a low clearance chain set like:
http://www.vulcantire.com/chainz6_c.htm
Super Z-6
Requires only 6.3mm (1/4") of clearance
Chain model SZ127 will fit tire size 205/50-17

I am considering buying a Mazda5, and snow chains for a 2 wheel drive are a definite need. Please post your results, I am interested in what you find out.

I haven't tried anything yet. The issue came up when we were buying the car. My wife was concerned with our plans for next year. If I'm not mistaken, snow tires won't work -- I think the CHP requires chains or snow tires with 4WD. In any case, an extra set of tires and wheels would be a big expense for a couple drives a year. I'll have to check out the Vulcans...

I used to live in So Cal and always had snow chains for my vehicles because you had to have them to drive in the mountains. Now I live in Salt Lake City where it actually snows and I don't have snow chains for any of my vehicles because they aren't required... go figure.

The 5 has brand new Bridgestones on it and I've made it through more then 10 years on Minnesota winters without snow tires. I'd like the idea of snow tires, I even have a spare set of rims for them, but they will do me no good in Wyoming when the roads are only open to awd/4wd or 2wd with chains.

In BC we need snow tires or chains for certain roads. They will turn away 4WDs not equipped with either.

I have yet to find anywhere a definitive posting on whether or not snow chains/cables will fit. In case someone else comes a looking:

Yes they will.

I picked up a set of the SCC Super Z6 snow cables and ran them on a set of 205/55R16, which are only slightly shorter then stock, on +45 offset rim without any issues. I have also chatted with someone who has ran Thule CG-9 snow chains, which require 9mm of clearance, on a Mazdaspeed 3 without issue. Seems there is a enough room on the Mazda 5, Mazda 3, and Mazdaspeed 3 to run low clearance snow chains/cables.

15768_237753141188_562386188_4736006_7540621_n.jpg

15768_237751306188_562386188_4735972_1606596_n.jpg

Chains on 17" rim Mazda 5

I have a 2007 Mazda 5 microvan with 17" wheels (205/50R 17 tires). I'm in Northern California and need tire chains when going to the Sierra Mountains.

I've been looking at the Spikes-Spider compact style "chains" and think they might fit. Does anyone have experience with these on low-clearance Mazda wheels?

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/comparison/

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Just picked up a Mazda5 and am planning a couple trips to Wyoming this winter. Has anyone had snow chains on Mazda5 yet?
I'm looking into these:
CS10 Snow Chain 090

Good luck, keep us posted. (iagree)

and...

I have a 2007 Mazda 5 microvan with 17" wheels (205/50R 17 tires). I'm in Northern California and need tire chains when going to the Sierra Mountains.

I've been looking at the Spikes-Spider compact style "chains" and think they might fit. Does anyone have experience with these on low-clearance Mazda wheels?

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/comparison/

Good luck, keep us posted. (iagree)

Peace!(rei)

Back from the dead again.

I also don't drive in the snow enough to warrant snow tires, but it does snow once or twice a year in Portland and also make a couple trips to the mountain.

Anyone put chains on the stock 17's?

I'm looking at some Thule options.

The lawyers that put that in the manual are likely the same ones that put in the note about never towing a trailer with your Mazda. The Thule ones look good, but I will have to reinstall my eyeballs after pricing the K-Summit units! Looks like the K23 or the CG9-090 fit for 5's with 16" or 17" wheels. I sold Thule racks for 20 years, but never their chains. I would definitely shop around on those.

I know what you mean, but gettting a set of winter wheels and a decent set of snows I'm still looking at, at least $600-$900, so the Thule chains will still be a cheaper and/or better option for how rarely I have to drive in snow.

When I first leased my 2006 Mazda5, I had to sign a waiver stating that I would not install tire chains on the vehicle.

I have never had to use them, but now with my upsized 215 tires, I am wondering if I have the clearance to install any type of cable or chain. Has anyone tried it on the upsized tires yet?

I need to look a little closer, but at first glance the only clearance issues is on the back side of the tire and not so much the wheel well.

These are the chains I am looking at. As stated they are much cheaper than winter tire/wheel combo, but still WAY more spendy than I've probably spent on all my sets of chains combined!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

$379 for a pair?? Just buy winter tires, you can get four of some models at that price.

Not anywhere I've priced out so far, plus that doesn't cover a set of winter wheels. I'd prefer studded, but the cheapest I've seen so far is $140 each and that doesn't cover mounting/balancing.

Greetings,

Just purchased my Mazda5 yesterday. First Mazda after being a VW owner for the past 10 years. During the contract signing process the dealer pulled out the tire chain disclosure form stating that the car "may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device" for us to sign. We immediately stopped and asked if this meant that there are no chains available for the car as we do plan on taking it to go skiing a couple times a year. The dealer stated that there are the cable chains available for the car and they are OK for use. We did not drive the car home as they need to install the optional equipment so we don't have the owners manual handy.

What type of "other type of tire traction device" does Mazda recommend?

I have been researching this and found that some people have gone to the 16" rim with snow tires and this can accommodate cable chains at least for the '06 model. Has anyone tried this with the 2010 Mazda 5?

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Cheers,
Marc

Back