In serious need of some help with Mazda 3s brakes!!!

J1gz420

:
Mazda 3s 4-Door
OK, I ordered some new pads for my rear brakes (EBC GreenStuff). And today I was trying to install them, however, I ran into a snag. As I was taking the calipers apart, etc., I found I could not compress the piston with a clamp. I have come across a couple other threads that had said that some cars in the Mazda lineup use a screw in piston and I'd need a special tool to compress the pad.

So my question is do I need it, where do I get it, how much is it, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

J1gz420 said:
OK, I ordered some new pads for my rear brakes (EBC GreenStuff). And today I was trying to install them, however, I ran into a snag. As I was taking the calipers apart, etc., I found I could not compress the piston with a clamp. I have come across a couple other threads that had said that some cars in the Mazda lineup use a screw in piston and I'd need a special tool to compress the pad.

So my question is do I need it, where do I get it, how much is it, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is anything like the Protege brakes, there is a 14mm bolt on the back of the caliper that you remove and there is a set screw inside of the caliper. Not sure if this is helpful, but I hope it is.

Jordan

I took out both 14 mm bolts, and the 7mm hex heads that act as guides for the caliper. I got everything out of there. The only thing I could not for the life of me do was compress the piston.

So I am wondering if anyone in this forum knows whether or not I need a special tool to compress the piston. I didn't see any other bolts that I could remove from the caliper once I had taken it out.

J1gz420 said:
I took out both 14 mm bolts, and the 7mm hex heads that act as guides for the caliper. I got everything out of there. The only thing I could not for the life of me do was compress the piston.

So I am wondering if anyone in this forum knows whether or not I need a special tool to compress the piston. I didn't see any other bolts that I could remove from the caliper once I had taken it out.

you have to go to autozone or and auto parts place and get the piston press from them, the piston head and the piston press line up somehow and you will be able to compress it then. it is strange, i couldn't get the piston to move with a clamp either, you have to get the tool

hmmmm, maybe i did something wrong, but i just hit the piston a bunch of times with a hammer.lol. I dont think it messed up any seals or anything, and they work fine. I changed those probably 50,000 miles ago and they still work just fine. (thumb)

No there are two little holes on the piston you have to go to autozone or advance autoparts whatever places that carry car stuff where you live and buy a special little tool that is shaped like a cube it looks like this. Just make sure you pick the right cube kuz i didnt and i had to take a grinder after mine to make it fit. When you get the tool just put it on an extension with a ratchet find the right side of the cube and put the two little pegs in the two holes on the piston and turn it to the right and it will slowly push the piston back.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Brake Piston Tool1.jpg
    Brake Piston Tool1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Brake Piston Tool with ratchet.jpg
    Brake Piston Tool with ratchet.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
and how much is this tool?
its a good thing i checked out this thread.
I will be changing the 4 corners rotor and pads with KVR cross drilled rotors and EBC green stuff pads.
It would suck to get started and then not be able to finish.

in ohio if you go to auto zone it is free, just a $50 deposit and you get it back when you return it

yeah i tried the needle nose pliers but the reason why i didnt recomend it is cause i almost jabbed myself with em when they slipped off the piston but it could work.

I bought the cube to change the brakes, what a waste of ten bucks. I ended up using as pair of vice grips just lock turn and push and the piston was back in about three or four turns.

Idunno what my brakes problem was but mine took a couple million turns and about an hour. My car has a mind of its own. I mean today i was putting on my new motor mount and the bolt wouldnt brake over then when it did i broke 2 fingers in one quick swoop. The only time my 3 ever agrees with me is when i mash the gas. I still love my car though.

I am having the same problem. I can't get these things to compress. I tried the tool, it didn't fit. I tried the needle nose pliers and it doesn't seem like nothing is happening. I am close to using a hammer

Yeah after about an hour i just took a brake for about an hour or so and when i came back and started turning on them again they just went right in like nothing. The front ones for some reason i didnt even have to do anything to... the new rotors just slipped right in.

Back