Shortening stock shifter/I shortened the stock shifter

I am definetely going to try to shorten the shifter. Jonlong, how does the extension slip back on? Im asking because in the stock photo the shifter narrows right before going into the extension. If you cut the shifter and try to put the extension back on, wont the extension not fit?

What kind of epoxy do you recommend? I thought gorilla glue would be the best. Also, I dont think theres such a thing as gorilla tape, I looked at lowes and home depot and they have the glue but no tape. But duck tape as you said will work so I guess it doesnt matter.

So is the tape just a cushion between the top of the shifter and the knob?

As for getting a short shifter kit, I disagree with you guys and think this is much easier. I have no mechanical experience and have done nothing to my car. I looked at the TWM manual and you have to go under the car and do several steps. Simply heating the extension, cutting the shifter and re gluing the extension on seems much easier to me. Also, all the supplies cost only 30$.

Last edited:
jtom,

The shifter extension slips back on to the shifter. The rubber vibration damper is thicker than the shifter itself, which is why you need the tape to make up for the space between the shifter and the extension.

Duct tape should work, but I did use Gorilla Tape. I know that there is a glue as well, but the tape definitely does exist. I think I've seen it Meijer and I bought mine at Office Depot. Then I used a heavy duty epoxy. I used enough tape that the extension was a very tight fit. The epoxy acted like a lube and helped the extension slide on easier, then it cured and is completely solid now.

A few tips: Put something around the shifter when you are cutting it, such as a plastic bag, to catch the metal shavings. Also, be VERY careful when using the torch to heat up the extension. You don't want to accidently burn the plastic trim or your seats.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Back