How to install auxmod basic

Gambino

:
2007 Nissan 350z
So I just installed my auxmod basic tonight and figured I would do a quick write up (mostly just a story board of the install). For those who dont know, auxmod basic uses your tape/md selector to play external sources (i.e. iPod) through the stock HU.

kit contents
r1wfh5.jpg

stock HU out
r1wg1g.jpg

just shows where to slide the auxmod in
r1wg7t.jpg

auxmod installed in the HU
**EDIT** Important thing to note here is that you will NOT hear a snapping/locking sound. I was expecting it to lock in place and it doesnt, but the two sided tape will hold it. So dont try to FORCE the auxmod until you hear it lock, because it WONT
r1wgg5.jpg

bought this cable at Radio Shack for $5, one end plugs into auxmod, and other end into the headphone jack on my iPod
r1whz9.jpg

cable plugged into auxmod and ziptied to radio to keep it in place
r1wi37.jpg

to route the cable cleanly, I cut a whole in the back of where the ashtray goes
r1wj04.jpg

I then dremeled a groove into the ashtray to route the cable again
r1wmja.jpg

I also dremeled a groove into the front of the ashtray so I can tuck the cable into the ashtray and close it.
r1wrpd.jpg

this is what the finished product looks like. It sounds amazing too. All you have to do is push the "tape/md" button and you are good to go!
r1worm.jpg

Any questions, just ask! it was very easy and I HIGHLY recommend it

Last edited:
good walkthrough Phil.
those switches are killing your car man.

ZoomVT said:
good walkthrough Phil.
those switches are killing your car man.
haha, the install was actually SO easy. The thing that took a minute was routing the cable and making holes where I wanted.

I have having trouble deciding if I should change the switches to more flush black ones or not....a lot of people actually love the switches there......I just dont know

a lot of people actually love the switches there

yeah ricers. lol

i was thinking about doing this ipod mod, but i wanted to run the cable through to the little spot next to the shifter (sort of like a pen or change holder, WTF is is for anyways) like bikerbadger did.
The only thing that is holding me back is that iwould liek to be able to just pass the ipod around to my friends to choose the music they want without disconnecting it from the HU.

ZoomVT said:
The only thing that is holding me back is that iwould liek to be able to just pass the ipod around to my friends to choose the music they want without disconnecting it from the HU.
my cable is six feet long. I am able to pull it back to between the front two seats while leaving it plugged in

The only problem with having a long cord like that is what to do with it when you aren't having to move it. Mine just gets in the way.

Jeph said:
The only problem with having a long cord like that is what to do with it when you aren't having to move it. Mine just gets in the way.
mine just tucks back into the dash

I want mine to be retractable... I mean mine folds nicely behind my cupholders, but its always in the way it feels like.

Jeph said:
I want mine to be retractable... I mean mine folds nicely behind my cupholders, but its always in the way it feels like.

oh dude thats a great idea!
i had a retractable cord for my phone in my previous job.
i am sure there is one for headphones, which would work in this instance.
*firing up google*
i'll be back

mani had just found a bunch more that were actuallyperfect cause theyhad the male/female connectors on each side. but f-ing firefox crashed on me.
im sure i can find it again if i need to.
i just remembered though that this mod doesnt charge the ipod, auxmod ftl.
oh well, i got to find a better way, so i can extend the ipod but when i need to charge it i can just keep it near the ashtray.

I have the belkin car charger where you can plug a stereo jack into the charger. But i don't always want it plugged in because that just wears on the battery to have it charging all the time. But that second one you showed is promising, and its only 6 bucks

Back