Rust

Firewired

:
Laser Blue P5
Hey everyone

I washed my car last week ...and found some interesting stuff in my engine bay.

There is at least 4 spots like this in the engine bay. Plus the rear fender lips that are starting to chip.

I bought this car to get away from the rust issues with older car, and now look what I have (notcool) :'(

The car was supposebly rust-proofed by www.diamond-kote.com. But its obviously not working well. The D-K stuff has a 10 year warranty against rust. I have a appointment with the dealer next week, so we'll so how this turns out.

So to everyone that drive their P5 in the "Rust Belt"... please...make sure to get the car rust-proofed .

If I could... id get mine done at Krown That stuff is amazing and really works. They sell the same exact stuff as a "release all" and it work wonders

Attachments

• DSCN2492.JPG
    DSCN2492.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN2494.JPG
    DSCN2494.JPG
    870.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN2495.JPG
    DSCN2495.JPG
    1,019 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN2499.JPG
    DSCN2499.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 264
That doesn't look like something a dealer would be effective in getting rid of to me. Maybe covering it up to get you back out the door but eliminating? I'd be real skeptical. Good luck, hate to see it, post up what happens..........

How much?

That SUCKS Firewired. Inspiration to keep my cars cleaner in the winters.

What does rust-proofing cost for from Krown, Diamond Kote or Ziebart?

fonzinator said:
That SUCKS Firewired. Inspiration to keep my cars cleaner in the winters.

What does rust-proofing cost for from Krown, Diamond Kote or Ziebart?

Krown is about $100 per year. They spray underneat the car as well as inside all the doors. It's supposed to be done once a year. I had my car Krowned this year, and will continue to do it annually.

My car also has the Diamond Kote. This is something the previous owner had applied when he bought the car. My impression is that it is a one time application, and probably not worth the money spent (no offence to those that had it applied).

I know nothing about the Ziebart process.

Firewired, my MP3 has similar rust issues. Its in the seam in the same area and the driver side from what I can see has some mild rust issues as well. A body shop guy told me its from the manufacturing process, moisture in the seams. Nothing can be done to fix it, i asked out sand blasting it out but he says all that will do is remove what you can see. There will be rust on the inside of the seam too, kinda makes me wonder how safe it will be in years to come...I don't want my car to break apart at that seam. You will also want to check the rear wheel wells on the rear inside portion, mine had some surface rust from the rubber coating being worn off, I remedied that myself.

I see you also have the salt deposits in the strut towers. When I bought mine last year there was a bunch of crusty salt there, just carefully clean it out with a blade screw driver and a vacuum then spary some Krown all around the tower.

Your friend will be Krown from now on, I get a can every few months and touch up spots.

Jesus christ man! Wash your engine bay regularly, and wash the car at least once a week in the winter and you won't have this problem!

Maxx Mazda said:
Jesus christ man! Wash your engine bay regularly, and wash the car at least once a week in the winter and you won't have this problem!

Thats what ive been doing ! (boom07) . There is no point washing the engine bay as it gets dusty in no time on the roads that I drive !

Revs, ive been doing exactly that since last week. Ill be doing it all over when I know whats going on with the Diamond-Kote stuff. They may to something about it ! Never know :p

Let me know how it goes with diamond-kote, I'm curious to know what happens.

firewired said:
Thats what ive been doing ! (boom07) . There is no point washing the engine bay as it gets dusty in no time on the roads that I drive !

Dude, there's "no point"?! Who cares if it gets dirty again, it's not to keep itclean, it's to keep the salt off. I don't winter drive my car, but my winter car I'm sure to thuroughly wash the undercarriage and engine bay along with the car at least once a week, and although we don't use as much salt here in Calgary, it still gets to the cars pretty quick.

Maxx Mazda said:

Cars aren't supposed to rust after 3 years there, whether you clean the engine bay or not. His clearly has a manufacturing defect.

okay ... I havent gone to get it checked yet. Im still tranferring papers and stuff.

But today, while checking the brakes, I found a new spot.

IMG_Rust_001800.jpg

IMG_Rust_002800.jpg

IMG_Rust_003800.jpg

(omg) This is a brand fawwking new car ... This is stupid.

That frame stuff is just surface rust. Wire brush it and spray it. Seriously though dude, judging from the level of filth in your wheel wells it would be well worth your time to get in there and clean your baby out if you want to quit finding cancer. Since they quit making these in 2K3 it isn't really "brand new" anymore, and neglect during the winter can take it's toll quickly. These pictures make me so glad I don't live where they salt the roads, but if I did I would probably be hosing the thing down daily.

Also, "moisture in the seams" during manufacturing is a lame way to explain this problem. What are the odds of that? Anyone ever seen a car factory? They're not very damp places, and any body shop guy that tried to sell me that line would not get my business.

It was washed two day ago. (pissed)

Its the roads I live on. Not much I can do exept move.

And yeah ..I just went after supper ... Its not this panel that is rusted ... its water dripping for somewhere. Rusty water ! I guess im just over-reacting.

Last edited:
Back