'02 Clutch chatter TSB and parts to replace

theZD

Ok, so I've searched these forums for hours on the clutch chatter issue. My car has it. I just bought it used and it's under a limited warranty, so I think the dealer is going to fix it, even though they are not a Mazda dealership. Problem is that every thread I find on this issue has a broken link to the supposed TSB. I don't really *need* it, but I figured it couldn't hurt if I could prove to them that it's a real problem and needs fixed. So, anyone have a working link for this TSB?

Also, I took some notes on the parts/part numbers that need replaced and there seems to be some conflicting reports. Any verification or correction on this list would be greatly appreaciated!
----------------------------------
One thread mentioned these parts:
new flywheel, pressure plate and throw-out bearing

Another mentioned these:
new clutch, new clutch cover, and a new flywheel

A different thread listed these parts/numbers:
FS06-16-460 DISC,CLUTC
FS05-16-410A COVER,CLU
G560-16-510B CLUTCH COLL
F801-11-303 BEARING
5555-TM-001R M/TRAN OIL.

And even another one listed these:
FS05-16-410A - Clutch Cover (is this the pressure plate?)
FS01-11-500A - Flywheel
FS06-16-460 - Clutch Disc
8AG4-32-280 - Ball Joint Set

And finally, someone posted this scan of a repair order which seems to list a combination of all of the above lists, LOL.
http://www.msprotege.com/members/alexlitov/scan1.jpg

So, as you can see I'm obviously a bit confused. I know I probably need at least the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc. But is the "8AG4-32-280 - Ball Joint Set" and "F801-11-303 BEARING" the same? Why different part numbers? etc....

One final question to all this madness: will the tranny fluid need to be drained for this repair? If so, I'm going to ask they replace it with some MT-90...figured I'd give it a shot! :)

Thanks again for all the help, I'm loving this forum and the great people here. Wish me luck on my clutch repair. I really hope they cooperate. :D

Update:

I no longer need the TSB link, many thanks to Dynotrick.

But any additional information regarding the other questions is greatly appreciated!

It's not so much a clunking sound as the whole front-end of the car shaking while disengaging the clutch in first and sometimes 2nd gear. Most of the time while the engine is cold. It's most definitely the popular "clutch chatter" that many people have described (and had repaired) on these forums. It's apparently common with the 2002 P5's manual tranny.

Does this get progressively worse or does it stay pretty much the same through the life of the clutch? I've had this happen to me occasionally, but I couldn't make it happen willingly if I tried.

Jeez, mine does that too! I just assumed I had forgotten how to drive a 5-speed. It usually happens when it's cold, and I always thought it was because I wasn't quite giving it enough gas when I was letting out the clutch. My all-stock '02 P5 has 51K miles on it, and as far as I can tell, the problem has never gotten worse, and my clutch still feels great, no slippage at all.

Could you please post the TSB notice for the convenience of all other? Thank you!

theZD said:
Update:

I no longer need the TSB link, many thanks to Dynotrick.

But any additional information regarding the other questions is greatly appreciated!

Will Mazda repair it with their "Clutch kit" for free if the car is no longer under warranty? I wouldn't think so, but since it's a TSB, I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Well, my luck wasn't on my side today. :) The (used car) dealer I bought it from denied a repair. Apparently, the warranty only covers "internally lubricated parts of the engine, transmission, etc." so the clutch isn't covered. Oh well - I think I'm going to have my stepdad look at it. He can pretty much fix anything.

Good luck to everyone else with the problem!

I have a Clutchmasters clutch and Fidanza flywheel and still get crazy judder! Any tips? When I took the stock clutch out it showed virtually no wear on the disc. I don't know what to do with this thing(huh)
The clutch was changed once under TSB at 45,000KMS, the CM was put in at 92,000.

Does this get progressively worse or does it stay pretty much the same through the life of the clutch? I've had this happen to me occasionally, but I couldn't make it happen willingly if I tried.

Mine has been doing it for 6 years, more in the winter, but it does it once in a while. It has never gotten worse. When it happens, I just clutch it again and keep going. I have no intention of messing with it.

I know many people won't agree with me here, but I fixed my clutch chatter thing by replacing all the mounts. Well, you have to know if if it's really clutch chatter or the whole drivetrain shakes. I think the clutch does chatter on mine but not enough to shake the whole car like crazy, but the shot mount magnify the effect.

Josh

Back