Any photographers in here?

eting_pro5 said:
great thread idea.

I'm an aspiring photographer, I guess. I'm thinking about picking up a DSLR this summer. Most likely a Digital Rebel.

It's a good choice, I love my Digital Rebel XT. I think L8R does as well. (cabpatch)

ChopstickHero said:
i think most Tamron lenses are of OK quality and build. I don't think they are up to par to the professional series of the Canon or Nikon lenses, but can definitely hold their ground against the consumer lenses. Tamron and other companies like Sigma reverse engineer most Canon/Nikon lenses and build their own lenses to either try to match or add some features.

Btw, I am using the Canon 18-55mm lens kit. I'm shopping for a better lens, one that has a bit better resolving power. the Canon L lineup is absolutely awesome, but pure $$$$$.

Thanks for the advice. After months of deliberation and research i just pulled the trigger on a new D50 with the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lense which i think will be just fine to learn on. I'll upgrade to some nicer lenses this summer hopefully. I've never had a DSLR. I CANT WAIT!!! I'm allready a shutterbug ***** with my crappy camera...

Also, to anyone in the market, SHOP AROUND. Ebay also, isnt the best place for deals as i found out. I was gonna get an "all in one package" from a reputable camera shop on ebay. It included:
- D50 Body
- AF-S 18-55mm Nikkor Lense
- 512mb SD Card
- Nikon Carrying Case
- Lense Cleaner Kit

and it was 651 after shipping. Which, on ebay seems reasonable seeing as how used D50 bodies go for close to that.

Today i spent 3 hours scouring the internet for deals and ended up scoring:
- D50 Body
- AF-S 18-55mm Nikkor Lense
- 512mb SD Card
- Nikon Carrying Case
- Lense Cleaner Kit
AND a
- 53" Tripod
for 481.67 SHIPPED.

Savings of 169.33 Dollars!!! SHOP AROUND KIDS!!! Froogle is your friend!!!

Oh yea, one more question....

Are there any lense filters i hsould have to just generally clean up the shots? I've heard the its pretty standard just to have a UV filter on your lense to protect it, if nothing else, but would you guys reccommend picking up a UV filter, polarizing filter, etc???

daedalus said:
Oh yea, one more question....

Are there any lense filters i hsould have to just generally clean up the shots? I've heard the its pretty standard just to have a UV filter on your lense to protect it, if nothing else, but would you guys reccommend picking up a UV filter, polarizing filter, etc???

i've never used a UV or a polarizer. but a UV filter seems like a good way to protect the glass on an expensive lens. i think a polarizer would only be useful outdoors. becareful of lower quality polarizers as it can affect the exposure of your shots. but i have seen some pics with a polarizer and on a bright sunny day, you can definitely see the differences.

check www.bhphotovideo.com for some of your online camera/lens shopping needs. it's a great site.

eting_pro5 said:
Looks like a good site. Does anybody else have recommendations for a site where I'll get a good price and service when I buy my Digital Rebel?

oh yeah, type in "psjan" or "psmar" into the search bar on B&Hphotovideo's website and you will get some discounts on stuff on the site. take a look. in all honest opinion, this site will probably give you the best price you can find from any online store. they are great, i buy my gear from them.

jump on froogle and look around... as long as they are selling you new equipment with a warrenty and not refurbs just go with the lowest price... i was shocked at how low some of the stuff was. I ended up buying from photonation... check them out, they have over 5,000 5 start feedbacks from customers and have the rebel body for like 409, and lense packages from 509+....

http://www.usaphotonation.com/search.asp?searchq=rxt

daedalus said:
jump on froogle and look around... as long as they are selling you new equipment with a warrenty and not refurbs just go with the lowest price... i was shocked at how low some of the stuff was. I ended up buying from photonation... check them out, they have over 5,000 5 start feedbacks from customers and have the rebel body for like 409, and lense packages from 509+....

http://www.usaphotonation.com/search.asp?searchq=rxt

never heard about this site, but i have read about alot of these online stores that have super low prices. becareful as they do the whole bait and switch routine. lure you in with low prices and then keep suggesting you over priced accessories and warranties to build up the price. if you say you don't want the accessories, they will tell you that your item is out of stock. buyer beware!

yea definatly watch out for that kind of stuff... they didnt try any of that stuff with me however. I noticed on that site a lot of their accesories are really expensive, but i just bought the camera from them, and pieced togehter the memory card from another site, and got my case and tripod off ebay...

B/H photography is the only site I would buy products from. A lot of the other sites have cheap prices for the camera, but when you call to confirm your order, they give you a hard time and try to sell you all kinds of s***. My friend had a bad experience and got into a big arguement with them. IDK what site, but just stick to B/H photography or even a local store. B/H is the only site that allows you to return lenses also if you aren't satisfied with what you purchased.

Great shots for an 18-55mm lens o_O

If you are buying a Digital rebel, I highly suggest buying the body seperate and buying a good all around lens. The 18-55mm lens kit is an alright lens, but I'd rather get something better.

I would also only buy Canon lenses. If you can invest in an L series lens, it is a GREAT lens but yes, very pricey. With cameras and equipment, I guess you get what you pay for. Also, with lenses, the value of them never drop because they don't really improve the technology dramatically. I think $500 for a new lens is a nice price range. If you want to get crazy, then $1500-2000 would be your price range :D

A protective UV filter would be good also just to keep dust off the lens and to protect it. My friend's dad drop his L series lens, and the lens filter saved it I believe. Nice little investment I believe.

I'm hoping to get within the following months:
A Canon battery grip
373932.jpg

A good wide angle lens

A cleaning kit
80554.jpg

A lens hood (just to look cool lol)
218433.jpg

This may help also

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox2.htm

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have UV filters on all my lenses. and 1 polarized filter. I think it made your shots clearer/crisper and at the same time sorta protects your lense. It really helped when taking photography out in the sun. I've really stopped using my camera and have forgotten the uses of the accessories since I no longer work for a camera company. Working for a camera company kind of turns you off after a while. Peace out.

L8R said:
B/H photography is the only site I would buy products from. A lot of the other sites have cheap prices for the camera, but when you call to confirm your order, they give you a hard time and try to sell you all kinds of s***. My friend had a bad experience and got into a big arguement with them. IDK what site, but just stick to B/H photography or even a local store. B/H is the only site that allows you to return lenses also if you aren't satisfied with what you purchased.

Great shots for an 18-55mm lens o_O

If you are buying a Digital rebel, I highly suggest buying the body seperate and buying a good all around lens. The 18-55mm lens kit is an alright lens, but I'd rather get something better.

I would also only buy Canon lenses. If you can invest in an L series lens, it is a GREAT lens but yes, very pricey. With cameras and equipment, I guess you get what you pay for. Also, with lenses, the value of them never drop because they don't really improve the technology dramatically. I think $500 for a new lens is a nice price range. If you want to get crazy, then $1500-2000 would be your price range :D

A protective UV filter would be good also just to keep dust off the lens and to protect it. My friend's dad drop his L series lens, and the lens filter saved it I believe. Nice little investment I believe.

I'm hoping to get within the following months:
A Canon battery grip
373932.jpg

A good wide angle lens

A cleaning kit
80554.jpg

A lens hood (just to look cool lol)
218433.jpg

This may help also

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/toolbox2.htm

Good luck!

you will like the grip ALOT. i never take the grip off of my camera, it's always on. i've never run out of batteries with it either.... even after like 300 shots. i have the hood for the kit lens. i got it on ebay for about $15 shipped.

i was about to purchase the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L lens... but Canon announced the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens recently. I'm just waiting for reviews on it before i dive in. f/2.8 will be good for low light and combine that with IS, it will be very stable in all situations. it's lacking a bit in length, but i think this will be a great indoor lens. it's EF-S compatible only, so Rebel XT, 20D/30D bodies will accept it, but i don't think i'm planning on upgrading bodies anytime soon.

Little update... just as chopstick said, the guy called today offered me a package, i refused, and he cancelled my order. Oh well, i've gone with another store and i'll see how it pans out! Stay away from usaphotonation!

daedalus, I have the Nikon D50 with several lenses, if you have any questions or want to see some samples give me an IM @ KaptainKyle7

daedalus said:
Little update... just as chopstick said, the guy called today offered me a package, i refused, and he cancelled my order. Oh well, i've gone with another store and i'll see how it pans out! Stay away from usaphotonation!

Good to know man. Too bad they cancelled it.

ChopstickHero said:
you will like the grip ALOT. i never take the grip off of my camera, it's always on. i've never run out of batteries with it either.... even after like 300 shots. i have the hood for the kit lens. i got it on ebay for about $15 shipped.

i was about to purchase the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L lens... but Canon announced the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens recently. I'm just waiting for reviews on it before i dive in. f/2.8 will be good for low light and combine that with IS, it will be very stable in all situations. it's lacking a bit in length, but i think this will be a great indoor lens. it's EF-S compatible only, so Rebel XT, 20D/30D bodies will accept it, but i don't think i'm planning on upgrading bodies anytime soon.

Good to know, thanks! Yah, the batteries run out pretty fast.

That is a great all around lens. Those are on our school's Digital Rebels and I took some nice shots with them.

Peace

I can personally vouch for B&H. I've been to their store many times. It is HUGE. Whenever I buy something expensive from them in their actual store, they always offer to ship it back to NJ for me...it ends up being cheaper to pay $10-$15 for UPS Ground shipping (which is overnight from NYC to me) rather than pay the 8.375% sales tax in NYC.

B&H effin rocks. I talked to one dill hole once, but other than that, they are awesome.

I usually check their prices and ebay prices. It suprises that ebay is so expensive for photo equipment.

*PS, i want a vertical batery grip from my Digital Rebel (non XT). They are no longer made.

Latest posts

Back