Any photographers in here?

amature, but should have majored in photo. I just picked up a Nikon d50 (got it past tuesday) i am loving it. I still have my trusty Nikon N80, which is what i've done most of my work with. The lenses i have are nothing special but they are enough for me. I went with nikon cause i could use the lenses i already had. I am thinking of selling the N80. still debating though.
here is some of my work:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tyuha...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

NVP5White said:
Nice pictures and your girlfriend/wife/stepsister is pretty. My only suggestion would be to get used to using the flash outdoors to fill shadows and bring the subject up to the brightness of surrouding objects.

Thanks, that's my g/f Jena. Using the flash as a fill outdoors is something I only read about recently, and I'm still trying to remind myself to use it.

Chops, good eye. I've always loved all the pictures I've seen you post in the past.

Amateur. I like the old school 35 mm w/ black/white film. I love developing my own film and pictures sticking my hands in the chemicals (nah, I did that to piss the teacher off and she'd have to throw the whole batch of 3 liquids away everytime I did that). Anyway, nothing is greater than working in a darkroom and watching your pictures suddenly appear on blank pieces of white paper as it floats in the pans. I haven't done that in so many years, I've forgotten the names of the chemicals you use, what each does, and the tempratures needed to make things work right. Probabaly gonna eventually end up w/ the Canon digital (for compatable lenses) or Nikkon later. Peace out.

BeNegative said:
Amateur. I like the old school 35 mm w/ black/white film. I love developing my own film and pictures sticking my hands in the chemicals (nah, I did that to piss the teacher off and she'd have to throw the whole batch of 3 liquids away everytime I did that). Anyway, nothing is greater than working in a darkroom and watching your pictures suddenly appear on blank pieces of white paper as it floats in the pans. I haven't done that in so many years, I've forgotten the names of the chemicals you use, what each does, and the tempratures needed to make things work right. Probabaly gonna eventually end up w/ the Canon digital (for compatable lenses) or Nikkon later. Peace out.

You dont have to throw the whole batch of chemicals away just because you put your hands in them...

Does this ring a bell?

developer(68 degrees) - makes the image appear on the paper
stop - stops the image from continuing to devlope
fix - makes the paper resistant to turn yellow when hit by light
wash - cleans the chemicals off the paper
hypo - makes the paper resistant to fingerprints + makes it shiny
wash - same ^

photog class ftw (first)

Wow...I remember doing that in High School...in 1990...damn...I'm getting old...I miss being able to do that. I should find my old black and whites and scan them in...took with my old school Canon AE-1 way back when...one of the few in class with an SLR...

Prodigy said:
You dont have to throw the whole batch of chemicals away just because you put your hands in them...

Does this ring a bell?

developer(68 degrees) - makes the image appear on the paper
stop - stops the image from continuing to devlope
fix - makes the paper resistant to turn yellow when hit by light
wash - cleans the chemicals off the paper
hypo - makes the paper resistant to fingerprints + makes it shiny
wash - same ^

photog class ftw (first)

Black + White + 35mm film = o_O hard work!!!

Thank god for digital. It makes you appreciate film photography a lot more though.

Anyone got any good sites to order lenses or a battery grip? I'm looking for a nice L-series lens without killing my wallet :D

Peace

L8R said:

Thank god for digital. It makes you appreciate film photography a lot more though.

Anyone got any good sites to order lenses or a battery grip? I'm looking for a nice L-series lens without killing my wallet :D

Peace

L-series lens without killing you wallet is a bit hard to do ;)

Unless of course you are simply talking about the 17-40 f/4 L and 70-200 f/4 L, which at a cost of $670 and $575, respectively, are a bargain.

I wanna get a 70-200L.

I currently have 28 and 50mm primes and the 18-55 kit lens. I prefer landscapes so a better focal range sounds good.

Only problem is it's a pita to switch lenses all the time.

L8R said:

Peace

Hmmm.... it's tricky since you live in Hawaii. I get my stuff from www.bhphotovideo.com. They are in NYC. Probably one of the best (if not the best) photo online retailers in the world. They have a real store too in NYC. The grip is awesome. I haven't taken mine off since I got it. It adds some weight to the camera, which helps with a little balance and stability.

mountjonas said:
my g3 doesn't get depth of field like that. time for a new camera.

hard to get good DOF from a point and shoot camera... unless you're shooting upclose to something... in macro mode. heh...

amature..

i'm an amature; i use a Verizon Wireless LG-VX9800....LOL!

T520060306171929580.jpg

macro mode:
T52006030910200353.jpg

yes, a camera phone!

heres a pic i took with my Nikon coolpix 8400..

chertreeswide.jpg

i'm a photography fan!

Canon 20D
17-40mm f/4L
70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (coming soon)
D70 (sold)

Leica D-Lux2 as daily carry around.

56k!

Here are some pictures I took this weekend. I'm a swim coach, so i thought this would be a nice time to try some action shots. Shots were taken in RAW but later converted to JPG. No adjustments made in color, sharpness, etc.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Not bad for a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 Lens. These were all shot in full manual adjustments.

My friends dad let me try his 75-200mm 1.8 L-series lens... Boy was it a great lens! AND HEAVY!!!!

Peace

Last edited:
i like to cosider myself a professional, heres my equipment
canon_powershotSD200.jpg

(thumb)

i'm only kidding by the way

L8R said:
Here are some pictures I took this weekend. I'm a swim coach, so i thought this would be a nice time to try some action shots. Shots were taken in RAW but later converted to JPG. No adjustments made in color, sharpness, etc.

Not bad for a 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 Lens. These were all shot in full manual adjustments.

My friends dad let me try his 75-200mm 1.8 L-series lens... Boy was it a great lens! AND HEAVY!!!!

Peace
very cool shots! i love working in RAW... here are some of my latest... still in a work of progress...

Last edited:
Still considering options for the D50 purchase... are Tamron lenses crap? I'm considering the Tamron 70-300mm Macro Zoom Lens, and the Tamron 28-80mm Zoom Lens, over the base 18-55mm Nikkor Kit Lense... Any thoughts?

daedalus said:
Still considering options for the D50 purchase... are Tamron lenses crap? I'm considering the Tamron 70-300mm Macro Zoom Lens, and the Tamron 28-80mm Zoom Lens, over the base 18-55mm Nikkor Kit Lense... Any thoughts?

i think most Tamron lenses are of OK quality and build. I don't think they are up to par to the professional series of the Canon or Nikon lenses, but can definitely hold their ground against the consumer lenses. Tamron and other companies like Sigma reverse engineer most Canon/Nikon lenses and build their own lenses to either try to match or add some features.

Btw, I am using the Canon 18-55mm lens kit. I'm shopping for a better lens, one that has a bit better resolving power. the Canon L lineup is absolutely awesome, but pure $$$$$.

great thread idea.

I'm an aspiring photographer, I guess. I'm thinking about picking up a DSLR this summer. Most likely a Digital Rebel.

Back