Best Lowering Springs

Bartron8000

:
1999 Protege ES
Alright I want to lower my car but since I cant afford a real suspension upgrade I decided on going the spring route. Whats the best brand of lowering springs out there, I have been looking at the Tein S-Tech. But I would like to know about others as well, and your opinions or experience with them.

I had the Goldlines, now I am running Eibach's prolines on my Protege5...
I prefer the Eibachs.

im tempted not to post in this thread cuz there are like 8 more just like it, but i like the teins, cant go wrong with eibachs or mzspd (racing beat) springs either, depends on how much of a drop you want

Racing Beat MP3 Springs worked great for me. Used then for 2 years including track days which at the time was the only suspension upgrade I had.

jbiird317 said:
im tempted not to post in this thread cuz there are like 8 more just like it, but i like the teins, cant go wrong with eibachs or mzspd (racing beat) springs either, depends on how much of a drop you want
And it depends on what you want to accomplish with the springs.

I picked up a set of Mazdaspeed struts/springs on ebay from a wrecked Mazdaspeed. I like it alot. My car is only going to see street, highway and the occasional autox (when my normal autox car isn't available).

--Tom

Yea as jbiird317 said, there is s*** load of threads on this topic. Oh well.....I like my Tein S-tech's. Nice drop and no sagging. 1 finger (deppends how fat your finger is, haha) space between wheel and fender all around.

eh, at least it's not a spark plug thread.

My .02: I have the Eibach Pro-kit, but just about all of the name-brand springs have fans:
H&R, Eibach, Racing Beat, Tein, Goldline and others. You need to decide how low you want to go and what kind of ride you're looking for. You can use the search button for that. :)

Anyway, doesn't one of the other vendors here have Goldlines on sale?

Protephile well put. Yea and please do search next time.

I'm happy with the msp springs, just be prepared to feel EVERY bump in the road when you get springs!

D-rock240 said:
I'm happy with the msp springs, just be prepared to feel EVERY bump in the road when you get springs!

ha well you should try springs on some other cars, the protege suspension travel is actually really good compared to some other lowered cars ive been in (nissan240 on teins and kyb's probably the worst)

I just put Goldline springs on my MP3 last night. After I do some more driving, I can give a better assessment. I had the MSP struts and springs on before that, and loved them!!

jbiird317 said:
ha well you should try springs on some other cars, the protege suspension travel is actually really good compared to some other lowered cars ive been in (nissan240 on teins and kyb's probably the worst)

Yeah I remember. I had Eibachs on my 240 and it was definitely more noticeable.(boom07)

Well, I've searched around and have been reading up on some suspension- strut and spring related threads, however, I couldn't find an exact answer.

1.)Are the Megan Racing Lowering springs compatible with the Tokico HP's for the Protege 3rd gen. (sedan)?

2.)If so has anyone actually tried this combination?

Thx for the help..

we put the Eibach Pro-kit on my wife's 03 protege, and it handles great, its a 1.4 drop in the front and a 1.8 drop in the rear, it lowers the car very nice and in levels it out too. also on the plus side you dont need to buy any caster/camber kit because it still staying with in spec. if you go any lower then that you will be getting in to alignment problem.

Factory spring rate? (Tein springs)

Does anyone know what the factory spring rate is for a '02 protege5?
I'm looking at getting Tein High Tech springs. I've got a 2.0 gap in the front and a 1.625 in the back right now. The Tein springs would make it .8 in front and .5 in back. I was just wondering if the back would travel too much?

coil overs

coil overs are the way to go. the adjustable feature is so nice. if u have the money get the tein ss damper. if u r a college student or on the same budget like me i went ahead and got the tokico blue with tein s tech spring. they work very nice together. and they are pretty cheap. i got my whole set up for about 700 shipped and installed.

subz3r0mkt said:
Well, I've searched around and have been reading up on some suspension- strut and spring related threads, however, I couldn't find an exact answer.

1.)Are the Megan Racing Lowering springs compatible with the Tokico HP's for the Protege 3rd gen. (sedan)?

2.)If so has anyone actually tried this combination?

Thx for the help..
I bought that very same combination I haven't installed them yet, I have a question about camber I figure I'll need to adjust it, do I need camber kits..

Sorry about the camber question, oops

Heh heh heh, ya ya I shoulda done more research. 2 inch drop or less you may need a camber kit, otherwise it's ok, I installed the aforementioned spring/shock combo and the alignment guys were able to keep it within specs. Megan racing designates the drop on these springs to be from 1.8 to 2 inch drop, depending on model, mine being a 2001 SE base model totally bare!! It's light as hell, hehe
(but I have A/C ehhe)
So my car doesn't get the 2 inch drop...sniff...
But Im pleased with the difference in handling, I may be a Newb but I notice the difference in the way the car handles expansion joints at high speeds very nice indeed, the Tockico hp's help of course.. I'm running stock sway-bars but it
handles well in spite of of it.
ok to the chaste, the pics ..
p.s. I,m running 16/7 42+ NS-1 205/40/16 rims an skins (only a half inch taller then my stock 195/65/14 wheels)

Attachments

• befo.jpg
    befo.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 157
  • afto.jpg
    afto.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 159
  • high.jpg
    high.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 130
  • low.jpg
    low.jpg