Smashed Electrode

Jack Daniels said:
I think that the screw has been passed through to the exhaust.

Just for kicks you might want to check that there isn't a hole in your air filter or some other problem upstream of the intake manifold. This doesn't seem all that likely to me, but then your car isn't supposed to lose VICS screws either.

of course the dealer wants you to take it in, so they can charge you $95/hour for nothing... just to tell you that it "seems" OK

Seeing is that he is experiencing symptoms of, and falls under the production numbers of a recall, I do not forsee the dealer charging him. Once they take off the manifold, they will see missing screws.

safariMP3 said:
of course the dealer wants you to take it in, so they can charge you $95/hour for nothing... just to tell you that it "seems" OK

It's under warranty still. Otherwise I'd be tearing it down myself.

*subscribes for results*

As much as I hope this isn't a VICS screw problem, it sure sounds like it is. I wish they would just perform the recall service on my car to allay my fears even though mine is a 2002.5 so it's not in the VIN range. I'm way out of warranty though :(

pasadena_commut said:
He said his P5 was outside the recall VIN range.

Correct, it was out of the VIN range of the recall. Doesn't really mean much though. Even if I were outside of warranty, and outside of the recall, I think I'd be working on the dealer to repair it for free.

Jack Daniels said:
It's under warranty still. Otherwise I'd be tearing it down myself.

I realize I just contradicted myself in my last post. If I knew for certain it was a VICS screw (which hopefully the dealer will discern) I'd be pushing for them to repair it. Why should I do the work myself when it's obviously a manufacturing issue?

pasadena_commut said:
Just for kicks you might want to check that there isn't a hole in your air filter or some other problem upstream of the intake manifold. This doesn't seem all that likely to me, but then your car isn't supposed to lose VICS screws either.

I'll look but very doubtful. Don't these cars have a MAF with a screen anyway?

Jack Daniels said:
I'll look but very doubtful. Don't these cars have a MAF with a screen anyway?

Mine doesn't! LOL!

Took it out the day I bought the car!

This will give me an opportunity to bring up my clutch chatter with the dealer as well. Honestly, I was willing to live with it, but it is getting annoying.

Well, it's at the dealer today. I wrote a note describing everything, enclosed the pictures and the recall letter. We'll see what they say....

A magnet retrieval tool is good for fishin' out a screw if still in there... I doubt it is - you would hear it.

Please let us know what the dealer says - i fall out of the recall - but cringe waiting for the day when i hear ratatararata... ;(

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Dealer called and said they're replacing the intake manifold. Said screws were loose, but none missing. I questioned him on the spark plug and he basically said no screws went through the engine, but they would do a leakdown once it's put back together. I don't necessarily believe him that a screw didn't smash the electrode. I'm going to wait and see the end result of their service and make a decision then.[/font]

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica] [/font]

Oh no, a loose screw on a P5 outside the recall range.. my worst nightmare!

I'll only redline her 10 times a day instead of 30+ until they expand the recall :p

Jack Daniels said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Dealer called and said they're replacing the intake manifold. Said screws were loose, but none missing. I questioned him on the spark plug and he basically said no screws went through the engine, but they would do a leakdown once it's put back together. I don't necessarily believe him that a screw didn't smash the electrode. I'm going to wait and see the end result of their service and make a decision then.[/font]

If that screw is not found, pop off the exhaust manifold above cat #1. The screw may have gotten shot out and is there.

RaiderMP5 said:
I think he was making a funny.

No I was being serious. When I found out that my car was outside the recall range I was ecstatic, but then this came along. My car is past any warranty period so if I have to worry about screws coming loose and wrecking stuff then it makes me not want to drive my car so damn hard all the time :)

zverg said:
No I was being serious. When I found out that my car was outside the recall range I was ecstatic, but then this came along. My car is past any warranty period so if I have to worry about screws coming loose and wrecking stuff then it makes me not want to drive my car so damn hard all the time :)
The only sure fire thing to kill the worrying is to just pull off the manifold & red loctite them yourself. I'm worried & in the recall but worry more about lame dealership action so it won't be going there. They won't remove vtcs while in there or clean egr or do coolant bypass on throttle body so when I can squeeze it into the schedule I'll be doing it myself. Already have the stuff to do it.

Back