HID installation

you guys are effin n00bs....

Here... courtesy of Bumble G of the Toronto Protege Club.

After carefully reverse engineering, testing, and verifying. I figured out a way to disable the DRLs and to have the fog lights on without the headlights.

If you dont want to read a long winded explanation of how and why I did the mod skip to the procedure.

For the fog lights to work independently from the headlights you need to separate the switch from the DRL module, and supply power to the fog light relay from the parking lights. Why from the parking lights? So you dont forget that you have them turned on.

There was no real easy way to eliminate the DRL module completely without some major hacking. Also its a good thing to have on the car and my way makes it for easy reversal of the mod. Since Im not eliminating the DRL module I decided to have a switch to just turn the DRLs off. Ive heard of people driving around with the e-brake up one notch to turn off the DRLs. Thats not a good thing, for one you will wear out the rear brake pads prematurely and secondly you have the brake warning light on the dashboard. This light tells you if you have a problem with your braking system. So having it on all the time is not good either. So I looked into the electronics of the DRL module. Basically the e-brake and the low brake fluid warning switches are connected to each other via the DRL module.

DISCLAIMER:
1. Do this mod at your own risk.
2. I am NOT responsible for any damage to you, your car, or your property as a direct or indirect result of anyone attempting this mod.
3. You will be cutting some wires in you car. So if you void the warranty I am NOT responsible.
4. I have a 2002 Protege 5. Other Protege models and or years may varry.

TOOLS/PARTS NEEDED.
1. Flashlight.
2. Flat head screwdriver
3. 10mm socket / socket wrench.
4. Crimp tool.
5. Wire cutter / stripper.
6. Butt connectors male & female
7. Spade connectors
8. Ring connectors
9. SPST switch. (single pole single throw)

Also I have 2 schematics I made but they are in pdf format and I dont have anywhere to host them except for here.
http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/Bumb.../schematic.zip
(right click save as)

***Instructions***
NOTE: The wire colors are "solid color/stripe" if there is one color then there is no stripe.

1. Find the Fog Light relay. Located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
2. Using the 10mm deep socket unbolt the two bolts holding on the DRL, FOG light and other stuff up there.
3. On the FOG LIGHT RELAY cut RED wire about 2 from connector.
4. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
5. Take a length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
6. Plug the new wire into the RED wire you just cut with the male connector on it.
7. Label the free end of this wire as FOG LIGHT RELAY.

8. Find the DRL module. Again located in the drivers side foot well. Look up.
9. Unplug the 2 harnesses. You only need to modify the small harness with 7 wires in it.
10. Cut the YELLOW/GREEN wire about 2 from the connector.
11. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side.
12. Cut the BLUE/ORANGE wire about 2 from the connector.
13. Crimp a female butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a male butt connector on the harness side.
14. Plug wire YELLOW/GREEN into wire BLUE/ORANGE on the harness side.
15. Take another length of wire about 3 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
16. Plug the new wire into wire YELLOW/GREEN on the connector side.
17. Label free end of this wire as DRL OFF.
18. Run both wires up the wire harness and secure with tie wraps.

19. Remove the cover on the side of the dashboard to expose fog light switch.
20. Run the free wires along the harness and into the area of the foglight switch. Use tie wraps to secure.
21. Find a suitable location for the SPST switch. ( I used the empty switch plate)
22. Terminate the free wire labeled DRL OFF to one side of the switch.
23. Terminate another length of wire to the other side of the switch.
24. Label this new wire as GROUND.

25. Unplug the fog light switch harness.
26. Cut RED/WHITE wire about 2 from connector.
27. Crimp a male butt connector on the connector side, and crimp a female butt connector on the harness side. (ignore my picture I put the connectors on the wrong side)
28. Take a length of wire about 1 and crimp a female butt connector on one end.
29. Label the other end GROUND.
30. Connect the new wire to the connector side. Leave the other end free for now.
31. Splice the wire labeled FOG LIGHT RELAY into the LIGHT GREEN/BLACK wire.

32. Find a good ground location.
33. Take both free wires labeled GROUND and terminate them with a ring lug.
34. Remove the bolt. Put the ring lug over the stud. Fasten the bolt back on.
35. Double check all connections are solid.
36. Plug the harnesses back into the switches.

Holy **** before you wreck something...

DRLs are on the low beam bulbs you guys, to disable them on a CANADIAN car, do the above mod by BumbleG. That's how I disabled my DRLs. Taking out the module doesn't work. Then none of your lights will work.

thats what i was going to do,(bypass i mean)thanks guys,just need the ****.. temperature to warm up a bit before doing it.... (thumb)

cuz everyone is talkin about DRLs im just wonderin, my friends got an 06 civic and he wants to eliminate the DRLs...jw if anyone could help out with this...i think that you have to take his car to honda just to change the headlight bulbs cuz where the bulbs are is in the quarter panel in front of a buncha s***....horrible design if you ask me, but yea anyways...any help with this would be appreciated

haha ok... the hids are in!!!... they look sooo tight I love em. But i havent killed the drls yet... and ya they deffinetly flicker haha... i even tryed to pull a few people over on some side streets here... haha its a funny reaction u get from people... but ima kill them when i get some time soo i can do a good job. ill keep ya updated

but if they are flickering,no danger for the ballast?when you put the lights on,do they work normally,and thanks for the updates,what kit did you get,6000k?high and low or just low?

TP's02/323 said:
haha ok... the hids are in!!!... they look sooo tight I love em. But i havent killed the drls yet... and ya they deffinetly flicker haha... i even tryed to pull a few people over on some side streets here... haha its a funny reaction u get from people... but ima kill them when i get some time soo i can do a good job. ill keep ya updated

i wouldn't let them flicker for too long. flickering is caused by the ballast not receiving enough power due to the lower power output of DRLs. this would prematurely wear out the HID system. An alternative is to install a relay. so that that they are either on or off totally by a switch (similar to fog light relays).

ya i cant imagine the flickering's too good...but its the 6000K on just low... the Helios kit... took about 2 hours to install... its jus hard kinding a place the install the boxes

autobahn said:
I have HID's on my Canadian P5.. Mine do NOT flicker when activated by the DRL's
That's because the P5 uses a separate bulb for the DRL.

The problem is with the sedan which uses a singl H4 bulb for 3 purposes: DRL, regular lights, and high beam. An H4 HID kit will flicker in DRL mode because the ballast isn't receiving enough voltage.

Mine flicker, and I haven't had time to do the "fogs for DRL" mod yet. Frankly, I just want to eliminate my DRLs but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Back