FMIC Paranoia.....

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello All I am new to the fourm but not new to other Mazda fourms. I have a 2003.5 MSP and current Mods are CS Power Series Exhaust and a Injen CAI and also an Autometer Boost gauge. I have considered buying a FMIC and have really narrowed it down to the BEGI or the Hiboost kit. I am worried though I know really the MSP can only handle 10psi stock and the guy from Hiboost told me I would be at 10psi with my mods. Question# 1 is that BS that I would be running 10psi? Question# 2 If I am running at 10psi I am worried about the integrity fo the engine running at max boost. Question# 3 which is recommended the BEGI or the Hiboost. I am asking on this fourm because it seems plenty of people have the FMIC kit installed and I just won't some reassurance the engine will not blow up if I get this up-grade...Thanks for the help

Will open exhaust and an FMIC really put you at 10psi??? I dont know?
I know when I had a 2.5 apex and a greddy sp-2 along with a custom spearco FMIC I was hitting like 7 or 7.5 psi?? Thats just me.

Welcome to the forums. :D Look around and get ot know everyone here. Most of us are helpful and want to see you get to know your car and us better.

Here are a few links that might help ya out

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86698 -SMIC and FMIC info

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89457 -EMS options for the MSP

Well, I cant see how having those mods will make you run 10 psi when the stock actuator opens at 6-6.5 psi.

Ther is no "max" boost the engine can handle, as many guys are running 14-15 PSI daily and not having issues, then again people have popped engines with only stock levels. Its alot to do with the driver and conditions in which the car is driven in. I personally would not boost over 7-8 psi without supporting mods "injectors, fuel/timing managment ect ect"

boostisgood said:
Well, I cant see how having those mods will make you run 10 psi when the stock actuator opens at 6-6.5 psi.
well i have heard of the car running higher boost on its own from mods... i doubt that a front mount and ur exhaust will put u at 10psi but i dont have this setup myself so i dont know for sure

There is no doubt that those mods will raise the psi, but I dont see it going any higher than 8psi.

I think us three are the only ones from bama w/ a msp on this forum...lol........ Your not gonna hit 10 psi with those mods. You'll be just as safe w/ a fmic as you are w/ your sidemount.

hey welcome, i have the same mods you have except now i have a brand spankin new begi fmic ready be installed!! i recommend the begi but i guess i'm bias

I cant see your car hitting 10psi. I was able to get to 8 psi with a quick spike to maybe 8.5-9. I am only going by my car and it mods. IMO I say go for the FMIC. It makes a difference and will be better off in the summer.

AuburnMSPfreak said:
wow, another bama boy. good to have ya man! ever go to sterilite on saturday nights?

I am not sure but I do go to Steele dragway with my boy (he runs a 01 eclipse) on the weekend nights....

And Zen I have meet you before if I am not mistaken at the Steele drag strip...

Last edited:
TitaniumMSPinAL said:
I am not sure but I do go to Steele dragway with my boy (he runs a 01 eclipse) on the weekend nights....

And Zen I have meet you before if I am not mistaken at the Steele drag strip...

Sterilite is out in Tarrant, it's just where the bham scene meets. there isn't a track out there but just a really long straight. didn't steele repave their track recently, like in the last couple of yrs?

With a SMIC, Injen CAI and Vibrant exhaust I went from 6.5 to 8 psi. I don't see 10 psi happening for your setup.

Back