little tire research

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
thought this was relevent as we are all cursing out the oem RSAs this comparison looks at that tire (which surprisingly enough does horrible in every catagory except ride and noise comfort....) against one of the more user recomended tires on here the KUMHO ECTSA. personaly i am torn between the kumho and the BF goodrich T/A KDW2.... but found this in my research... anyways

chart1.gif

chart2.gif

chart3.gif

chart4.gif

chart5.gif

(bump) cause i think this is some good information for those shopping for summer tires now...

tsunami said:
(bump) cause i think this is some good information for those shopping for summer tires now...
Great work, Tsunami!! I'm sure a lot of us will appreciate this information. And, I am surprised that the Kumhos seem to comeout on top of these four. I would've thought the Yoko's would do better. At least, that's what I was looking at.Of course, to be fair the BadYear is the only All-season tiree of the bunch. Yeah! Right!!! All season my.....
Can you get the similar info on four all seasons. Living in Texas I don't think I need two sets of wheels/tires, but we do get some bad weather here in Austin.

Last edited:
I live in North East Ohio so Use the Kumoho ESCTA ASX, and I love em, so there summer tires could only be better

good point that the rsa is "all season" and the others aren't... here is some info comparing the rsa to other all seasons

chart1.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/avon_tech_m550_as/chart2.gif[img]
[img]http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/avon_tech_m550_as/chart3.gif
chart4.gif

chart5.gif

(boom07) I am honestly shocked that the Good-For-A-Year beat the ASX in any of the wet testing. Or ANY of the testing at all, for that matter.

is there any background information you can provide regarding these tests?

if you could please provide figures for snow conditions.
Im at work right now, cant really look stuff up.

thanks

these tests are all off of tirerack.com and from what i could tell there weren't any done in the snow except for true snow tires.

ok from what i see the Kumho Summer Performance are the best of the bunch.
and for all-season perfromance, their second only to the pirellis, fro the most oart anyway, they only fail in wet roads according to the chart but i have a hard time believing that in real life. I have the Kumhos and they are very good compared to my stockers, they are not great but they are better than stock. Keep in mind that for some reason i didnt get Goodyears for stock, i got Coopers.
Anyways, Kumhos for teh win!1!!one!11!!

Tsunami, good work on this dude.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tsunami again.

Interesting comparison. I just replaced the OEM tires with the Kumho ASX in a 215-50R17. Ride, noise and comfort are about the same but the car does seem to handle a little better. I think the slightly higher sidewall along with full tread (compared to the bald RSA's) lended to a slightly squirmy feel at first but overall am much happier with the ASX. Especially considering what they cost. I paid $412 out the door for four mounted and balanced with road hazard at a local Discount Tire versus the approximate $700 the Junkyears would have cost.

I'm also very biased about running non-directional tires on my cars. Being able to swap ends as well as swap sides on a rotation keeps wear patterns more even and reduces overall noise. It always seems that every time I put a directional tire on a FWD car they begin to cup out from being on the same side after a while and get very noisy.

Back