Tonneau Cover For '06 MX-5 Miata

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I took delivery of my new '06 MX-5 Sport, Copper Red, 6-speed with suspension package earlier this week.....about time since it was ordered last November!

Does anyone know if a tonneau cover is available for the '06 yet? I did a Search and came up with nothing. Also, I have visited several parts suppliers. The tonneau cover was available for '05 and earlier but not for the '06.

Thanks.... :)

Last edited:
are you talking about the tonneau cover that covers the whole cockpit? or are you talking about a boot cover that covers the top when it's down?

MiaTurbo said:
are you talking about the tonneau cover that covers the whole cockpit? or are you talking about a boot cover that covers the top when it's down?
that is the tonneau cover.. thats what mazda calls it in the manual. The small cover that buttons over the top when its down.

ahh, so Mazda calls it a funny thing :p

I don't believe they will offer it. since the top folds down in a fashion where the inner liner is never exposed, there is no reason to cover it. It creates it's own cover..

MiaTurbo said:

I'm referring to the tonneau cover that covers the entire cockpit. The ones my Triumph TR4s and MGBs had fastened to the dash and around the rear and sides of the boot area.

The cover had a zipper in the middle, front to back, so that the driver side of the cockpit could be opened and the car driven while the passenger side remained closed.

It's real handy if you just want to park the car awhile, leaving the top down but covering the cockpit.

Here's one for earlier Miata years:

http://store.miataparts.org/robheadpocto.html

Since there doesn't seem to be any attachment points (usually snap-on type fasteners and/or studs) on the '06, there may not be a cover available for it

Another Type Cover

These things are available for use with the top up or down:

http://www.capoptop.com/size.htm

However, I don't care for this type because it is a PITA to install and remove, and it looks like crap.

I had a similar one for my '89 Mustang convertible that was for use only with the top down. I might opt for this type if a REAL tonneau cover isn't available.....but prefer not to.

MazKid said:
So you're asking for a cockpit cover, not a tonneau cover.

Either way, I still haven't seen one yet.
the rest of the world calls it a tonneau cover ;)

The Robbins cover is the one I have for my NA. Used it on 2 cross country trips :) very handy for keeping the cockpit warmer.

MiaTurbo said:
Used it on 2 cross country trips :) very handy for keeping the cockpit warmer.

I agree. When the outside temperature is a little on the cool side, but otherwise it's top-down weather, the passenger side of the tonneau cover can be left in place, the heater cranked up, the windows up (if preferred), and it's usually comfortable.

The warm air from the heater on the passenger side has no place to escape but through the driver side, so that helps also.... (yes)

I remember on my first trip, i got stopped outside of Wellton AZ at 1am. it was about 25*f top down, of course, t-cover on, and me in about 4 layers of coats. That cop must have thought I was the craziest person in the world. Let me off with a warning. but I was warm :)

MiaTurbo said:
I remember on my first trip, i got stopped outside of Wellton AZ at 1am. it was about 25*f top down, of course, t-cover on, and me in about 4 layers of coats. That cop must have thought I was the craziest person in the world. Let me off with a warning. but I was warm :)

That cop just didn't appreciate the thrill of going "topless"! (usa)

Give Jason at On-line Mazda Parts a call. He's our local dealer and gives good deals, probably better than your local dealership. He may have heard of something.

Tell him I told you to call... he might slap me next time I see him! (pow)

lagunamiata said:
Give Jason at On-line Mazda Parts a call. He's our local dealer and gives good deals, probably better than your local dealership. He may have heard of something.

Even though I'm in NJ - I call Jason for everything - great deals! Super nice guy.

lagunamiata said:

I sent an email to them several days ago inquiring about a tonneau cover for the '06.

J. M. Baggie replied that Mazda doesn't offer one, and that if I had seen one, it was aftermarket, but I haven't seen one at all.

Thanks!.... :)

Mazda's Reply

Thanks for contacting Mazda.

At this time there's not been a tonneau cover designed yet for the newly designed 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata. No announcements have been made as to when or if this will become available in the immediate future.

I am pleased you took the time to bring your suggestion to our attention. Consumer feedback is always very important to Mazda. Certainly, we want to offer exciting accessories, and comments such as yours may help us to achieve that goal.

Rest assured I have documented your suggestion for our corporate record. These records are continuously being reviewed by our Product Planning Department in an effort to provide only the highest quality products to our customers.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda. It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please feel free to reply to this message with any further questions or comments.

......So, guess we'll have to wait awhile! :)

Back