Synthetic Oil Vs. 2.3

Wytchdctr

:
2003 Hyundai Elantra
Ive heard some rumblings from people with HLAs about not using synthetic oil because they will tap and/or die over time. Even some who say you could loose lift because the syn runs thinner and wont fill the HLA right. I dont even know if the 2.3 has HLAs... heh. Any idea if there would be any issues using synthetic? I will be using normal dino oil until atleast 10k miles to make sure the rings seat correctly etc. Just looking down the road. A little off subject. Anyone know of any good recourses to find out the inner workings of our 2.3?

Well, the owner's manual says to check the valve clearance at 75,000 miles. That means there are not HLAs on the 2.3 in our vehicles.

The thing about the synth flowing too thin is PURE GARBAGE. The 20 in 5W20 specifies the viscosity or 'thickness' of the oil at operating temp. So, their assertion is, by definition, untrue.

Also, just as a point of information, every API SM/GF-4/Ford-approved/Honda-approved 5W20 oil available in the USA is at least a semi-synthetic/blend whether it is labeled as such or not.

Good point on the head. Yes I understand the 20 shows how thick when hot but diffrent oils/types flow diffrent, so I was under the impression it was more of the way it flows than it actually being thinner.

Not sure what is meant by 'flows different.' Certainly some oils seem to make some engines quieter or louder than others, but the fluids themselves flow the same regardless (except at low temps where synthetics flow more quickly/easily). The noise differences appear to be a matter of the ingredients, not the flow characteristics.

bulwnkl said:
. . .The 20 in 5W20 specifies the viscosity or 'thickness' of the oil at operating temp. So, their assertion is, by definition, untrue.

Also, just as a point of information, every API SM/GF-4/Ford-approved/Honda-approved 5W20 oil available in the USA is at least a semi-synthetic/blend whether it is labeled as such or not. . .

I don't yet have a 5, but I'd like to stock up on oil while it's on a major sale. Is it safe to assume that Mazda specs 5W20 for the 5?
Thanks in advance,

bulwnkl said:
Well, the owner's manual says to check the valve clearance at 75,000 miles. That means there are not HLAs on the 2.3 in our vehicles.

I think the valves are shim under bucket. I'm not 100% sure but I am pretty certain the cams actuate the valves directly. Might be shim OVER bucket though. I dunno. Ask me in another 72500mi 'cause I don't intend to open the head unless I have to.

Wytchdctr said:
Ive heard some rumblings from people with HLAs about not using synthetic oil because they will tap and/or die over time. Even some who say you could loose lift because the syn runs thinner and wont fill the HLA right. I dont even know if the 2.3 has HLAs... heh. Any idea if there would be any issues using synthetic? I will be using normal dino oil until atleast 10k miles to make sure the rings seat correctly etc. Just looking down the road. A little off subject. Anyone know of any good recourses to find out the inner workings of our 2.3?

I know of several people running synthetic oil in their 04 Mazda3 with the 2.3L engine and haven't had any problems with it.

Check the Mazda3 section of this forum. I'm sure there are plenty of folks running synthetics here too.

I plan on going to Mobil1 5W30 after my free dealer change.

I've ran Mobil1 full synthetic in 3 Hondas, 2 Expeditions, and 1 Mustang that specified 5w20 with no problems whatsovever. I change to full syn at about 10k miles, enough for any break in to occur.

I put over 418,000 miles on the above vehicles without a single problem. I don't see a reason to change what's worked for me.

Matt

I used synthetic before ( amsoil ) and I felt that the engine turned over quicker on our Cold Canadian days... but I am not sure about spending the extra coin to run it shorter durations ( Ford Focus )
I did run the Amsoil appx 20,000 km and changed the oil filter every 5000k.
The oil looked no different than regular oila at a 5000km change..
Is it worth the dollar cost to go synthetic on the M5 while new ? Keeping in mind the oil change requirement/intervals by Mazda ?

Back