a/t transmission

djdanny5000

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Retired: 2002 Protege 5
i was wondering if theres any way to convert the regular a/t transmission to the sporttronic a/t transmission if you can convert it how hard or easy is it and what would else would you have to do like ecu or something

well for a starters you would need a whole new transmission from a sportronic, most likely the ECU & also the gauge cluster. Plus Im sure theres lots more but this is just a start.... I have the sportronic :D

you mean the entire transmission is different i would of thought it was just the ecu you had to change and maybe just the actuall shifter but i didnt know you would have to change out the entire transmission and why would you need to change the gauge cluster is different in the sport tronics

Im quite certain the entire transmission is different. and yes the gauge cluster is different. On the sportronic it shows the what you are in when in "auto mode" & then shows when you switch to "manual mode" & show which gear you are in (1,2,3 0r 4)

djdanny5000 said:
you mean the entire transmission is different i would of thought it was just the ecu you had to change and maybe just the actuall shifter but i didnt know you would have to change out the entire transmission and why would you need to change the gauge cluster is different in the sport tronics

it would be no easy task & if you were going to go through all that trouble you might as well go M/T

djdanny5000 said:
damn i uld switch it if it didnt need a whole new transmission

evilmonkeyMSP said:
it would be no easy task & if you were going to go through all that trouble you might as well go M/T
well i really dont know how to drive m\t good so i was wondering about doing the the sportronic but if its something that difficult where you have to change out the whole transmission then forget it looks like im stuck with my auto damn i was hoping it would be something easy so i could have even more fun driving my car

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta stop hitting that edit button on everyones posts as apposed to the "Reply"

But..........yeah, sorry to break it to ya :D BTW...learn to drive stick, you wont go back :D My P5 is an auto because its my go to work car for my wife so the MSP can rest at home :D

i don't know...i have the "sportronic" auto and i love it....i've driven manual before, and since this is my daily driver i decided to go auto this time...

i like it better...all the fun, less work...haha

guess i'm just left-foot-lazy

I purposefully got my 02.5 for the sportronic A/T, as well as rims & tweeters, but I NEVER use the sportronic.

the tranny is the EXACT same... only the electrical s*** is different
ALL of the major wiring harnesses are different as well as the ECU.... the gauge cluster is also obviously different but you might not need to change it.... and obviously you have to change all the shifter related parts.... there's also other weird s*** that is different like the cruise control module :wtf:

ITS NOT WORTH IT

Last edited:
Really its a simple 2 step process.

1. Sell your car.
2. Buy another p5 with a manual tranny.

Will cost far less and be much less trouble. If you sell and buy the car as a personal transaction, it will only cost you tax title lisence.

Back