How quickly does your 5 warm up?

:
'15 6, '06 5
I ask this because I'm really impressed with how quickly this thing heats up. We have 3 cars at the moment (1 will go to its new home Saturday :( ), and of course I've driven a great many vehicles of all different types over the years. This 5 warms up enough to give us at least some heater heat within ~3/4 of a mile on a 40-mph surface arterial, and it reaches full operating temp on the gauge within ~1.5 miles on that same road!

Both the other cars take much longer. One won't give heat until almost 2.5 miles, and the other is ~2 miles to heat. Both take another full mile at least to get to full operating temp. Everything else I've had in the past takes at least 2 full miles at 60 mph to give any hint of heat. This is all starting from a garage at ~40F.

Anyway, I'm impressed and I would think that speedy warm-up like this would help mpg as the engine can go to closed-loop and lean out the mixture sooner.

Both my Mazda's (5, 6) warm up really fast. It's one of the things I really like about them. My Mz6 has the best heater I've ever seen (felt?), I usually have the window cracked open with the fan on low and the heat in the middle. It's appreciated on those cold Michigan mornings.

Back