RR Racing Inserts vs. AWR Motor Mounts

when you guys say that it feels completely different are you refering to the awr mounts or the rr inserts?

Kooldino said:
What kind of crazy car was this anyway?

It was a FormulaSAE car that I helped design and build in college at Auburn. We used 600cc sport bike engines/trannies mounted between the driver and rear wheels. We built the thing for under $10k and it did 0-60mph in under 3.5 seconds and held around 1.2 g's on the skidpad. We were making 80hp (restricted) and the car only weighed 500lbs! It's an autocross car. I attached some pics.

Attachments

• Auburn FSAE 2003.jpg
    Auburn FSAE 2003.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Auburn FSAE 2003 - 2.jpg
    Auburn FSAE 2003 - 2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 143
jerkamiah said:
It was a FormulaSAE car that I helped design and build in college at Auburn. We used 600cc sport bike engines/trannies mounted between the driver and rear wheels. We built the thing for under $10k and it did 0-60mph in under 3.5 seconds and held around 1.2 g's on the skidpad. We were making 80hp (restricted) and the car only weighed 500lbs! It's an autocross car. I attached some pics.

thats cool as s***

awsmp5 said:

Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it if you ordered the inserts. I just purchased the set, but have only installed the fronts so far. The difference is dramatic. It does not completely elliminate wheel hop or engine rocking and all of the associated ills. I would estimate a 75% improvement with the front mount alone. I figure the rear mount, once installed, will bring me to a very nice compromise of performance and noise-vibration-harshness level.

BTW, the biggest change for me was the increase in noise between 4000 and 5000 rpm. This is a classic resonant frequency for 4 cylinder engines, but those soft mounts must have ben tuned to elliminate it cause its noticable now! I figure most people don't mention it because they have other mods such as an intake the have already increased the noise levels.

Good luck

jerkamiah said:

Cool, man! What restricted your HP, btw?

mogi said:
probably the rules!

Yep. We used a Honda CBR600 engine which normally has four 34mm carbs to get air and fuel. By the rules we had to run all of our air through one 20mm restrictor. It helps keep the speeds down since we were also the guys driving these things. The fastest we get in competition is around 75 mph on the acceleration (drag) run. The course was designed pretty tight to limit speed as well. Check out a video of acceleration testing by the team at Auburn.

There are a bunch of videos here for anybody interested.

NVP5White said:
Good luck

the mounts do soften up and break in. first gear has the highest level of NVH. put the back one in soon. you'll really notice a difference. it helps to have help put it in and a lift too.

Back