Questions re Auto shift and brake

S

Stargazer

Am I hearing and feeling the automatic shift in the Mazda5 because of the reduced hp? I tend to accelerate very fast, so this may also play a role in what I'm hearing and sensing. Regardless, this car is certainly zippy!

I hope I can acurately describe this sound, but, when I take my foot off of the brake fast, I hear a funny sound like there is something loose at the top of the brake pedal. It's a kind of clicking sound. It actually sounds kind of cheap. Also, if I put the car in Park and tap on the brake pedal, I can hear the sound. All of this to ask if anyone else is hearing this sound?

Last edited:
I Emailed Mazda about the brake pedal noise, and I will take it to the dealer this week.

I have not noticed the souds you are hearing but the clicking from the brake pedal might be the switch to disengage the cruise control when you apply the brake.
Just a thought.

I took my Mazda5 back to the dealer for the clicking noise when I sidestep from the brake pedal to the gas. Also, asked them to check the squeak in the right rear end when I go over speed bumps (very slowly) and uneven pavement. I will let you know what they say.

I get a slight squeak from the right rear too. When turning (right and uphill) into my parking garage, I can hear the chassis bend, and I think the 'squeak' comes from the right rear door rubbing against the main chassis when the chassis is torqued like that.

This may, or may not be related to your situation.

I dont have the same car as you guys but the click might be a bad brake light switch. Look under your dash and you should se a switch mounted next to the brake pedal arm. When you press in the brake this allows the switch tab to extend and complete the light circuit. The tab in the switch could be loose or the switch could be defective. Just my thoughts.

I took my car back to the dealer for the clicking sound when I remove my foot from the brake pedal, as well as for a rattle that developed towards the right rear of the car. The service department said that will replace the brake booster to stop the clicking. (I can't figure that out, but I'll defer to them.) They also told me that Mazda came up with a fix for the rattle, which is to put insulation around the heat shields. So far, I don't hear the rattle.

My car (an automatic!) also tends to "roll back" on slight inclines when I'm at traffic lights, etc., so it needs a few other adjustments.

Oops, I forgot that the service department said the squeak when going over speed bumps was due to dry shock absorbers. I had the car back for a couple of days, and the squeak is better, but I still get it (to a lesser degree) if I go over a speed bump, etc. when the car is cold.

Hey everyone,

Ok my grandma drives a 2006 Mazda 5 (duh) and when she backs the car out, the breaks make a high pitched squeaking noise only first the first few feet while backing out. Does anyone have any suggestions? It sounds similar to what everyone has already posted above but it only happens in certain situations.

Thanks all!

msp5speed said:
Hey everyone,

Ok my grandma drives a 2006 Mazda 5 (duh) and when she backs the car out, the breaks make a high pitched squeaking noise only first the first few feet while backing out. Does anyone have any suggestions? It sounds similar to what everyone has already posted above but it only happens in certain situations.

Thanks all!
Brakes.

msp5speed said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks all!

Mine does the same thing (only occasionally) and it should be the rust buildup from overnight. I guess maybe pay attention to the moisture level for the day before and see if happens the next morning.

canadianexpress said:
Mine does the same thing (only occasionally) and it should be the rust buildup from overnight. I guess maybe pay attention to the moisture level for the day before and see if happens the next morning.

Yes, the problem is from oxidized material on the rotor surfaces. It is normal, and is common with newer vehicles which use metallic brake pads, and rotors.
High humidity speeds up the process too.

I have noticed it on several of my cars, and can say that it will be louder when backing up then when going forward. Therefore my theory is two parts.

1. Since we apply the brakes while going forward 99% of the time while driving the vehicle, the brake pad surface will be fatter at the trailing edge of the pad and thinner at the leading edge of the brake pad. This process is normal, and is just a physical effect from the direction of motion of the rotor, and the leverege of the brake pad in the caliper assembly when brakes are used.

2. The buildup of oxidation on the rotors, will be scraped off without much noise when going forward, but when going backwards, (i.e. backing out of a garage) this uneven brake pad surface is now going to be wedging the opposite direction in the caliper assembly creating a poor contact between the brake rotor and the brake pad surface.

This larger than normal clearance in the rotor to brake pad contact will trap the rotor rust under the brake pad surface, (instead of being scrubbed off if you were going forward). The trapped rust will vibrate against the rotor, and cause the squeal/groan. The problem is further enhanced because when we are backing up, we tend to apply the brake pedal softer.

Does this make any sense? Hard to explain without a diagram, props, and my little pointing stick! (boom07)

Keep Zooming!

Mazdadude

Last edited:
Baking up brake noise is normal. I had the same on my Jetta and was told it's normal when backing up.

I'm back to my brake question because the service department replaced the brake booster, and I still have that clicking sound when I sidestep from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. (My husband says it's the way I drive because he releases the brake pedal much slower and doesn't hear the sound.) But, anyhow, here's my new question -- when you depress your brake pedal is there a place at the top of pedal travel where nothing happens (before the brake engages)? One might call it a dead zone. This "place" at the top of pedal travel is where I hear the clicking sound when sidestepping from the brake pedal (rather fast). It's almost like this place/dead zone amplifies the sound as the brake pedal returns to its normal position.

I'm trying to figure out if this is inherent to the Mazda5 or if it is a problem in my car.

Last edited:
Can anyone help re the above post. I have to pick up our 626 from the service department tomorrow, and I plan to talk to them about the brakes. Still, I would like to know if this is something other Mazda5 owners are experiencing.

Thanks!

Stargazer said:
Can anyone help re the above post. I have to pick up our 626 from the service department tomorrow, and I plan to talk to them about the brakes. Still, I would like to know if this is something other Mazda5 owners are experiencing.

Thanks!

I have not noticed the problem, and I have attempted to replicate by lifting my foot off fast and slow, but nothing was noticed. Sorry... I would have to say that maybe you might want to examine the brake switch on the pedal?

Good Luck!

Thanks, Mazdadude. I had a feeling that this was a particular problem with my car.

I took the mechanic (from my job) for a ride in my car to listen to the sound that the brake pedal makes when it returns to its resting position. His first suggestion was for me to stop referring to it as a "click." He thinks that what I'm hearing is the hydraulics when the pedal is released. Several of my co-workers were in the parking lot, so we actually went from car to car to see if we could hear the sound in other vehicles with similar brake systems. (The car does not have to be in motion to hear the sound - whatever it is.) We heard it in several vehicles, but none of them were quite as loud as my car. He thinks it's normal and that I probably will not be able to get rid of the sound. (I'm not going to say click anymore, so I'll refer to it as a thud when the brake pedal returns to its resting position with a vengeance.)

Back