Emissions in PA - with mods?

Johnnybass

:
Red '03 Mazda Protege 5 (auto)
just wondering if anyone has had emissions probs on their mazda with mods (i.e. exhaust, intake, headers)

i have a P5 with catback, mam midpipe, and i plan on getting headers but i'm a little apprehensive with emissions testing in our state

any help would be helpful!

thanks (thumb)

I honestly think you will be fine seeing as all the cars around my area are fully modified in that sense. I think if you were to keep both your cats on, you should be fine!

make sure you report your findings!

see, thats the problem....i want the obx headers, and any header you go with removes the first cat...so i'm wondering if you can still sqeak by with just the one cat...i'm waiting on a MAM midpipe with a hi flow cat, and i'd love to get the headers, but i don't think it'll work emission wise

i have:
INJEN
OBX Header (1st cat removed w/ Non fouler MIL fix)
Sparkco Wires

also removed my side bumper lights

passed fine _ but i kinda know the guy where i went

he's not a friend or anything, i've just been going there for mine a my wife's car for 2 years.
just go to a very small shop if you don't know anyone who will pass you.
better you chances

or you can take a trip down west chester pike to Broomall and my guy will probably pass you.

oh reeeeally? i live on west chester pike so that wouldn't be abig problem

i really don't know anyone to "help me out" so that would be cool

any name on this shop of yours....pm me if you don't want it on the boards

thanks man...now i don't feel as bad getting the headers...you can see in my sig what i've ordered already

I put the stock headers on last time i got inspected. That was over a year ago though. Technically, any removal of any cat (header, or midpipe) will fail you.

You should be careful too with your O2 sensor mods because that might cause you to fail emissions. i believe they just check to see that both give a signal and that's it, so you should be fine. I'd like to know for sure though.

Emissions for 96 and newer cars are not sniffer tests anymore. The tie a computer into your ODB II reader and check for any codes. Also they put it into a default test moded to ensure the PCM is seeing what it needs to for emissions controlled devices.

Im PA you can fail for having an aftermarket exhust, intake, header, CAT especially (unless over 60 or 80k miles) Hell, just pissing off the inspector can make you fail inspection or emissions if they want to be dicks.

Im in Inspection class right now, and trust me, we get away with ALOT here that these people can fail us for.

What he said...

What does it take to become a licensed inspector? I have aspirations to have a shop one day and I'd definately do inspections. Let me know when you finish. I may have you take a look at my car...

well, to be honest, all you have to do is sign up to take the PA TacTile test and pass to get your license. (inspections) as far as emissions, you gotta take written tests for that also, That is my next class. :D

To make up the cost of the classes, you'd need to do 9 cars at $40/car just to break even. Because you have to recertify for emissions every 2 years, you have to do 6 cars at that rate to break even. If I could find that many people to charge to do their cars, I'd take the classes too.

Latest posts

Back