Guitar Talk

I am thinking of changing this topic to just "guitar talk" to give us somewhere to discuss guitars/amps/accessories. good idea?

tphskab said:
I am thinking of changing this topic to just "guitar talk" to give us somewhere to discuss guitars/amps/accessories. good idea?
(thumb)

tphskab said:

done (thumb)

http://steppinrazorband.com/

you should be able to see my guitars on the photo page

Elec = Ibanez hollowbody (john scofield model# JSM100VT)
Acc = Taylor (315CE)

also:
Guitars =12 string acoustic ibanez, Fender Strat Elec (not american made), custom jazz archtop (Covenant Luthiers)

Basses = Ibanez (SR450), Warwick Thumb Bass, Custom 6 string fretless

tphskab said:
and maybe post pictures of your guitars too?
Good idea.
Here's my family:
webcollection.jpg

nice, I will take some pictures of all mine tonight.....well, I say all, but I only have 3

So what did you decide with the PRS? Maybe you should just wait and play it a bit more.

as of right now, I am hanging on to it. it is still listed for sale in a few places but for $2500. If I can get $2500 I will take it, but I have been working with it for a bit and am liking the sound more and more. I just have to figure out what to do with the volume knob

well, you can use a piece of tape like I suggested, or go to the music store and get a stiffer volume pot like Yell0specV suggested. .....you could replace the pickups with some badass EMGs and get pickup splitting (splits the humbucker into a single coil) that would make it possible for you to get the fender sound out of the humbuckers.... My true feeling is that you prob wont find a better tone, or a more comfortable neck than the PRS. I sold all mine, and I sure wish I still had one... PRS is the pinnacle of guitar workmanship. imo

gl on your music. (canada)

tphskab said:
as of right now, I am hanging on to it. it is still listed for sale in a few places but for $2500. If I can get $2500 I will take it, but I have been working with it for a bit and am liking the sound more and more. I just have to figure out what to do with the volume knob
Wow! I can't say I've ever paid more than $600 for a guitar. One of the reasons I sold my Les Paul is the bad position of the p'up switch. I always hit it when I play. Maybe if you took the knob off, you woldn't keep knocking it.

pingdum said:
Wow! I can't say I've ever paid more than $600 for a guitar. One of the reasons I sold my Les Paul is the bad position of the p'up switch. I always hit it when I play. Maybe if you took the knob off, you woldn't keep knocking it.
yeah, prs has some expensive guitars. I paid just under $3k for this one, but they have some guitars around $10k (archtop artist, I believe) and then some private stock guitars going for God knows how much.....$50k or more

GrandBelialKey said:
well, you can use a piece of tape like I suggested, or go to the music store and get a stiffer volume pot like Yell0specV suggested. .....you could replace the pickups with some badass EMGs and get pickup splitting (splits the humbucker into a single coil) that would make it possible for you to get the fender sound out of the humbuckers.... My true feeling is that you prob wont find a better tone, or a more comfortable neck than the PRS. I sold all mine, and I sure wish I still had one... PRS is the pinnacle of guitar workmanship. imo

gl on your music. (canada)

FWIW, EMG pickups only focus on a very narrow spectrum of tones, and aren't very versitale, IMO. Also, many many many pickups offer 4 wire humbuckers, rather than the traditional 2 wire, not just EMG, which will allow you to do coil splitting and phase inversions if you wanna jack with the wiring and extra switches/push-pull pots. However, it will NOT sound like a fender.... because its while its still a single coil, it wasn't designed for the same sound as a true single coil, it was designed to get a certain sound when used in tandem with the other coil. In addition, it is in a guitar (assuming you keep the PRS) made of mahogany and rosewood, with a maple cap... which will never sound the same as a strat because it causes the string to vibrate differently than if you had a guitar made of alder and maple. Yes, it does offer you a wider variety of tones, and yes it would sound CLOSER to a strat than in full humbucker mode.... but NO, it will not 'sound like a strat' if you really listen. Not bashin you or anything, just trying to point out there isn't one 'be all end all' guitar setup.

And, again FWIW, i think if you're having to adjust to find whether you like the guitar or not, its not the best guitar for you. Yes, PRS makes quality instruments that are really gorgeous.... but that doesn't mean its the best tone or feel for you. In my experience, when you play the right guitar, you have no questions of whether or not you should go with something else. Its all up to whether you wanna spend the time to find that guitar, and pay for it, i suppose.

omgz, new bass?

spector1.jpg

spector2.jpg

spector3.jpg

spector4.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics, my camera needs to be on a tripod to take good low-light pics.

Nice, what's the brand? Are those EMGs active?

Spector is the brand. The p/u's are passive, but it has an amazing active EQ on board that only takes 1-9v battery. Back in high school, i always thought Spector's sounded awesome and had great looks to back them up. It feels and plays great, although the strings are a bit light (i'm used to a .145 low C on the Samick), but that can be fixed.

Back