Guitar Talk

Gambino

:
2007 Nissan 350z
This thread was originally to help me with a decision on guitars (still listed below) but I have decided to change it to a general place we can come and discuss different guitars/amps/accessories/anything else guitars.

(original post)
Hey guys, since I am selling my brand new PRS, I am looking at what other guitars I want. I want feedback from owners of these guitars. The two guitars I am mainly looking at are Fender American telecaster and the Gibson Les Paul Studio. I have always loved both guitars and dont know which I would rather have.
The telecaster has a price tag of about $950, and the gibson is $1369. I am also willing to receive feedback on other guitars (including other models of les paul and telecaster). I am fine with spending up to about $2000 on a new one (pending the sale of my PRS)

thanks!

Attachments

• blackamertele.jpg
    blackamertele.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 117
  • lespaulstudio.jpg
    lespaulstudio.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
They are worlds apart, my friend. Go play varieties of both -- i have always been partial to the feel of an LP, but the sound of the Tele is awesome. Not to mention, Fender puts about 6 different neck styles on their current Telecaster lineup, so go check em out.

IMO, LP's sound like ass for playing anything that isn't distorted (read: clean).

I've owned an older Tele and I liked it, but it was very basic and I ended up trading it in on a pewter strat. I own an Ibanez S1520 right now which I traded my PRS for. The Ibanez is a great guitar as well if you are coming off the PRS. They retail for a little over $1200 I think. I've never really liked the necks on the Les Pauls.

I've always been partial to gibson.. they just sound so clean. even with basses.. I love my 78 rd artist

yeah, I need to definately go in and play them. I have a good friend who works at the guitar center by me and he can get me a really good price anyway. He knocked a few hundred of my PRS and threw in a few goodies too, so I wont be making a decision without actually going in and playing, just wanted some feedback.

Why are you selling the PRS? I tend to like those more than either of the other two. LP tend to be easier to play than a Tele. What style of music do you play. The LP and Tele have a very different sound from each other.

It doesn't matter which one you get, just make sure it does not have a bolt on neck!!! Sound quality matters (read "sustain")(headbang) (guitar) (flame2) Go ahead and flame!

i like the PRS...a lot of versitility in those guitars

go with the gibson if you want a heavey/crunchy distorted sound...great for serious rock/hard rock

go for the tele if you're into a bit lighter music

then you have feel, which no matter what anyone tells you, is a personal preference

you really have to play them all if you wnat to know what you'll really want

why are you selling the PRS? (out of curiosity)

Well, I am selling it for a few reasons. I have been dreaming of the PRS for like 8 years, but now that I own it, I am not that fond of it. Also, since it was so damn expensive, I worry about playing it too hard.

If you wanna hear the general style I play, go to www.myspace.com/threehero or www.purevolume.com/threehero

We have a lot of songs that are a lot of distorted AND a lot of clean, so I need something that can sound good for both

Have you ever looked into tradition guitars?? Quite inexpensive in comparison, but easily rival some of the big names in quality and sound. I have a friend that took one to a New York recording studio and the sound engineer had him switch to a PRS and after a minute or so, he said 'pick that tradition back up. It sounds much better.' It was the sound engineer who recorded Tommy Tutone if that helps with credibility. I can't vouch for their guitars because I don't play geetar, but I've played bass for years and years and their electric basses are "top notch Danny, top notch!!" (Just had to get the Caddy Shack ref. in there.)

go with the gibson....it has a great clean sound using the neck pick up, and a killer distortion using predominantly the bridge pick up...best of both worlds

Pmpkinhead said:
It doesn't matter which one you get, just make sure it does not have a bolt on neck!!! Sound quality matters (read "sustain")(headbang) (guitar) (flame2) Go ahead and flame!

There are plenty of guitars with bolt-on necks that sustain like crazy.

The best thing you can do is decide for yourself, dude. Instruments are a very personal thing. s***, when i asked for advice on getting a bass here, i ended up getting something toally different. And I'm glad I did.

Yeah, I prefer the PRS
But I think it depends on the style of music u want or do play.
I mean I luv both guitars, the twangy strum on the neck bridge of the tele or that warm fat tone on the neck pickup of the LP.
Your choice needs to depend on:
A. comfort/fit of body and neck to YOUR playing habits/style
B. TONE, what do u want it to do for u.

thanks for the input guys. I know I need to go play them, hopefully i will have time today

tele's suck. Unless your into emo, twang or single coil fuzz. Gibson is the obvious choice between these two, but stay away from the studio versions. Save a few more pennys and get a classic.

mp3moose said:
tele's suck. Unless your into emo, twang or single coil fuzz. Gibson is the obvious choice between these two, but stay away from the studio versions. Save a few more pennys and get a classic.
Its not really a matter of saving money for the classic, assuming I sell my PRS I will have enough. I just want something a little less expensive so I dont feel like I have to baby it. And care to give some reasons to avoid the studio and go with the classic (NOT shutting down this idea AT ALL, I just want to know why you say it)

Yell03SpecV said:
IMO, LP's sound like ass for playing anything that isn't distorted (read: clean).

i completely disagree.... although that CAN be true with alot of gibsons. Gibson's quality can be kind of hit or miss, so you can get some guitars, same model, sitting right next to each other, where one might as well have been made from driftwood, whereas the other, the wood would ring like a bell if you just tapped it. I've got a gibson les paul standard, from the first year they 'redid' them, i think 2001, and its a fantastic guitar.... but i played many on my search for that one that were less than perfect. Tele's will probably be the same way with the quality, just make sure you play till you find the exact guitar.

Don't let people tell you one is better than the other, or that you need a set neck, or that you only want a tele if you're playing a certain type of music. It all comes down to you, and no one else knows s*** about that. So, play a bunch of guitars, and my suggestion is to play them unplugged, so that you can really get a feel for the resonance of the guitar itself, uncolored by whatever pickups and amp you're playing through. Once you have a really resonant guitar, that you like the basic sound of, you can adjust pickups or amps or amp settings accordingly, until the tone just oozes.

My $.02, anyway.

Oh, and i wouldn't limit yourself to just a tele or a les paul, play other stuff too, you may find something you had never thought of that you really like. I had been looking at les pauls for ages, but my final decision came down to the les paul that i now own, and a schecter C1 classic. go figure.

jmv said:
i completely disagree.... although that CAN be true with alot of gibsons. Gibson's quality can be kind of hit or miss, so you can get some guitars, same model, sitting right next to each other, where one might as well have been made from driftwood, whereas the other, the wood would ring like a bell if you just tapped it. I've got a gibson les paul standard, from the first year they 'redid' them, i think 2001, and its a fantastic guitar.... but i played many on my search for that one that were less than perfect. Tele's will probably be the same way with the quality, just make sure you play till you find the exact guitar.

Don't let people tell you one is better than the other, or that you need a set neck, or that you only want a tele if you're playing a certain type of music. It all comes down to you, and no one else knows s*** about that. So, play a bunch of guitars, and my suggestion is to play them unplugged, so that you can really get a feel for the resonance of the guitar itself, uncolored by whatever pickups and amp you're playing through. Once you have a really resonant guitar, that you like the basic sound of, you can adjust pickups or amps or amp settings accordingly, until the tone just oozes.

My $.02, anyway.

Oh, and i wouldn't limit yourself to just a tele or a les paul, play other stuff too, you may find something you had never thought of that you really like. I had been looking at les pauls for ages, but my final decision came down to the les paul that i now own, and a schecter C1 classic. go figure.

Good post. Though I was merely stating i didn't like how most LP's sound on a clean channel.

I think it's funny how you can sort of distinguish the true musicians in this thread by the types of replies. :)

Back