Front Right Suspension Crunching

5thAve said:
Thanks Zoom5Zoom, DiMarco. I'm curious to see if DiMarco's new bushings help at all. I'll wait before bringing in the car as it's not a priority right now.

Well, I got my car back and according to the service manager the bushings are currently unavailable because they are being rediesigned. They did replace my roll bar which doesn't seem to make much difference.

So I guess Mazda is aware of the issue and working on a fix. I'm also *guessing* there will be a TSB in the future.

Looking at the history of the 3 I'm not surprised Mazda is still working out bugs in the 5. Everything has bugs. I purchased my 3 in late 2004 so most of the TSB's had been addressed. When I first bought it I had a new bug for the frist three oil changes. They were fixed without incident and now my 3 runs like a top Things would be different if the bugs were causing my5 not to start. This is just an annoyance and my dealership been giving me 1st class treatment all along.

Last edited:
I have an appointment for monday, I wonder if I should just cancel it until the new bushings are designed.

Check Up

Heya Fam, Antonio, Soulnette and 5th

I say have anything important like the noise recorded and if you feel it is the same noise there is no reason why you can't wait until the next Service.

As for everyone else I will track or see if there is a TSB for the bushing noise. Seems like a quick fix.

Thanks everyone glad we have this forum to chat it up on possible issues or easy fixes.

I remember the Mazda 3 when it first came out in late 03 yes it had some bugs, but really minor.

CONGRATS SOULNETTE....... (canada)

Last edited:
Antonio DiMarco said:
Well, I got my car back and according to the service manager the bushings are currently unavailable because they are being rediesigned. They did replace my roll bar which doesn't seem to make much difference.

So I guess Mazda is aware of the issue and working on a fix. I'm also *guessing* there will be a TSB in the future.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye on this issue and this thread because it's something I want to address for sure, but don't consider it highest priority right now. Maybe I'll pay a quick visit to a dealer though, so at least they'll have a record of the issue on file.

I took my 5 in early this week for this same issue, the service guy said he was going to order parts for it.

Boy do I have to correct my previous post.(stoned) I drove over some speed bumps today and the noise is comming from the front - not the rear! Furthermore, I no longer think it the sway bar. I agree you guys that the noise is from the front strut. I did mention the noise to the service manager when having the oil changed...they found nothing.(stooges)

I took mine to the dealer today.
The service manager told me he'd received a service note from Mazda Canada. They are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.
He told me not to expect any quick fix as Mazda Japan is working on designing replacement parts. Before the new part is designed, produced, shipped, distributed to the dealer....a 2 or 3 months wait would be in order.
In the mean time, if they could only fix the 101 rattles I have all around the car.

I have noticed on Japanese Premacy fan sites that they must be having similar problems because some of them have been using 'dry lube' (graphite powder?) on the strut/shock shaft.

They are curently changing bushings and are waiting on a new control arm design to be made according to my dealer. They had a bit of work to do other than that, so I let them keep it. Maybe just maybe the bushings will help.

jackd said:
I took mine to the dealer today.
The service manager told me he'd received a service note from Mazda Canada. They are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.
He told me not to expect any quick fix as Mazda Japan is working on designing replacement parts. Before the new part is designed, produced, shipped, distributed to the dealer....a 2 or 3 months wait would be in order.
In the mean time, if they could only fix the 101 rattles I have all around the car.

Interesting my 5 is as tight as a drum. I'm actually quite impressed with how solid both my 5 and 3 are. Even more surpirsing since my previous Mazdas always had one or two irritating rattles. Do you use the seatbelt clips for seatbelts that aren't in use? I found the seatbelts made the most clatter when I first bought the 5. Mazda probably heard the same whihc is why they installed the clips.

The seat belt clips are used all around.
Rattles come from everywhere (dash, doors, floor, plastic trims inside)
. Wind noise is also very bothersome, especially at cruising speed, around the windshield/wipers and side/rear doors.
On that respect, (noise & rattles) this car is by far the noisiest car my wife had during the last decade.

jackd said:
The seat belt clips are used all around.
Rattles come from everywhere (dash, doors, floor, plastic trims inside)
. Wind noise is also very bothersome, especially at cruising speed, around the windshield/wipers and side/rear doors.
On that respect, (noise & rattles) this car is by far the noisiest car my wife had during the last decade.
Drive my 240sx for a week, you'll be praying for the serenity of the 5.

The only noises (that I've noticed) I have been getting from my 5 are the suspension sqeak and the flopping wiper noise. Granted I don't get out on the highway and open it up much, but the 50-60 MPH jaunts that I have taken don't get all that noisy. I'll be taking a road trip this weekend so I guess I'll find out if mine gets really noisy on the open road.

OK GUYS got it back today.

Bushings are on back order, but the guy took the bushings completely off and "lubed them up really good" and it completely resolved the squeak. He said to call him and tell him if the noise stays gone, I was impressed. He still wants to change the bushings when the new ones come in and possibly the control arm after the redesign. He also changed the door latches on the sliding doors because it froze up on me once a few months back, he also changed the ignition because that was the reason my keyless entry sometimes didnt work. All good now, happy as a......you can fill in th blank.

We are coming up on 4000 miles on our Mazda5 and have not yet noticed the suspension crunch noise. I am interested in knowing the amount of miles, and climate conditions when the noise was noticed.

(thumb)

I've got 5400 miles and I think I started noticing it around the 5k mark. Weather was in the 30s-50s and dry when it started. I've noticed that since it's snowed here the noise has gone away so maybe the wet roads have kept the bushings 'lubed' enough to keep quiet.
Also, regular bumps in the road don't cause the noise (for me atleast) but speedbumps, expansion joints on bridges and poorly poured streets do.
*The poorly poured street I speak of is like driving across 75 consecutive traintracks.
vava.gif

yup, pretty much what he said. 3k miles on ours though. Started when it got really cold and stayed even on the warmer days. We live on a road with speed bumps every so many feet, and toledo roads=pothole, crappy pavement city.It would even squake on depressions in the road (that would eventually be potholes and sinkholes). All good for now though, just needed to lube her up (aint that always the case lol)

Back