2006 Mazda 3 Bose System iPod Solution.

Brinkdrum

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and was refered to my buddy Vashthestampede because he already has a Miata. I recently purchased a 2006 Mazda 3 Grand Touring with the Bose system. I am looking to connect my iPod like so many of you on this forum. I had a pioneer deck in my old car that i hooked up a aux splitter to via the IP Bus port for the CD changer. Does anyone have any pictures of the back of the stock Bose Head Unit? If anyone knows, does this system have an IP Bus connection option? There has to be someway to connect an aux splitter because there is SAT radio already wired for this car, i just dont have it. All comments would be welcomed. Here are some pics I took just to give you an idea of my car...

2335721520040285071ebztKx_ph.jpg

2399907200040285071XXOzps_ph.jpg

(bump)

Anyone here have a 06' that they've taken apart? We are trying to figure out a way to hook his tunes up and I told him someone here might know.

I was looking at the stock setup in his 06' and it has a SAT button as well as a MEDIA button. Neither of the two do a thing when pressed. I am going to assume that there is an aux port somewhere on the back of the radio. And that we could possibly hook his IPOD up through that.

Any ideas?

Vash-

search

so dissapointed that a fellow member couldn't use the search button... jeeze...

probably the most asked question lately, do a look through the audio section and you will see options being discussed about HU replacement as well.....

Ohh here we go.... (deadhorse

I have been on forums for years, and know of searching. I did a search and found NO relevant information regarding IPOD to OEM equipment on the 06' Mazda 3's.

I did however find the option of that chip and of course you could replace the headunit. That was not the question. The question was has anyone done it on a 06' first off, and second by using the OEM unit.

Has anyone taken apart the 06' radio....seems like thats a no? If there is a media button that is inactive when pressed....that leads to tell me there is a way to hook something up to it, without having to add a homemade chip. Whether its supposed to be a CD changer or navigation system, there is 99% chance there is an external aux port, or some type of port on the back.

If he lets me, I will take it apart and figure it out. But I just thought that someone here might have taken apart their radio on a 06'.

Thanks for that input tsunami (rant)

Vash-

tsunami said:
search

probably the most asked question lately, do a look through the audio section and you will see options being discussed about HU replacement as well.....

I'm pretty sure I used the search button. I found a whole bunch of posts for '05 Mazda 3s. None of which have the SAT and MEDIA buttons. In order to connect the XM SAT radio system there has to be some type of connection in the back that may be able to be converted into a AUX Input. That is why I posted the thread. Do you by any chance know what the back of the 06 HU looks like as far as inputs goes?

Auxmod for the media button. And there is an adaptor that will plug in the satellite input in the back of the 06 headunit. And the factory satellite is Sirius. If you have Sirius installed, you cannot use that port for the Ipod adaptor. You'll have to go with the Auxmod/Media button option.

abracc said:
Auxmod for the media button. And there is an adaptor that will plug in the satellite input in the back of the 06 headunit. And the factory satellite is Sirius. If you have Sirius installed, you cannot use that port for the Ipod adaptor. You'll have to go with the Auxmod/Media button option.

What kind of adapter goes on the back of the SAT input to hook up to the ipod? Thanks for the info!

whoa dude.... you can bring your ethuggery but all i did was do a search and as far as i know there are no differences with the HU except with options such as satallite and stuff that you could have gotten back in 04....

if you clicked teh link i gave it was to a thread that discussed this exact topic and provided a link to the auxmod.... also talked about the jl clean sweep as an option as well though a bit more expensive....

tsunami said:
search

I believe you were the one who posted this smartass remark. No we're not so dumb we can't use the search button. You were just wrong about the 06s completely.

as i said i believe there isn't a difference in inputs for any of the hu models, they just changed some other features....

tsunami said:
as i said i believe there isn't a difference in inputs for any of the hu models, they just changed some other features....

I think you are right tsunami. I think the 'media' 06 button on the 04-05 say 'tape/aux'. But the actual jacks in the back are the same. Now I have read that you cannot put an 06 head unit into an 04 or 05 and vice versa. Something with the wiring harness....etc....

could be as i don't know, i know the 05's were backwards compatable for sure....

Mazda 3 BOSE system detailed info and IPOD

I own a 2006 Mazda 3 and just did some MAJOR AUDIO UPGRADES.

Ok so here's the deal concerning Mazda 3's with BOSE Sound and Navigation. 1st and foremost is this annoying tidbit. IF you have the Mazda Nav in your car the Audio for the entire Driver side of the car is tethered to the NAV so it can lower the volume to speak to you. Any reputable car stereo installer CAN fix this and make the proper connection so the NAV has no control over your speakers. ASLO another tidbit. The STOCK NAV DVD UNIT has 4 connections on the back of it. The GREY connection if unplugged contains the LCD screen power. The OPEN and TILT features gain power from somewhere entirely different in the car, dunno where but they do. Anyhoo If you are taking the Stock DVD system OUT of the car or converting it to a DVD Player you MUST leave the STOCK DVD Unit in your glovebox. The absolute easiest way to convert the STOCK LCD screen into a DVD player is to get an RGB converter. They run about $300.00 bucks give or take, and allow you to switch between the STOCK NAV, and a DVD source.

For the I-pod / Satellite Radio options here's the deal.
If you have NAV you can hook up ONLY Satellite Radio OR I-Pod. You will need to purchase a switchbox which allows 2 AUX inputs to the back of the STOCK HEAD UNIT. Mazda completely screwed up and designed the STOCK HEAD UNIT with only ONE AUX in which gets used by the STOCK NAV. In later years they fixed this problem BUT for at least 2006 and earlier Mazda 3's it is what it is. YOU CANNOT HOOK UP STOCK NAV, SATELLITE, AND I-POD ALL TOGETHER, you can only have 2 of either of the 3. SUCH A RIP OFF FROM MAZDA, BAD BAD BAD DESIGN.

BOSE SOUND SYSTEMS 7 Speakers total. 6 in the doors and a sub under passenger's seat. YES there is s powered sub under there people!

This is one cool thing I do like about this system. You CAN hookup the BOSE Amplifier to an aftermarket head unit! My car Installer did it for me, it was just a matter of connecting the lead from the BOSE AMP to I believe the Remote Wire of the Aftermarket wiring harness. It's simple and the sound is even better with an aftermarket head unit because you have MUCH MUCH more defined control over the audio settings like equalizers, zone controls, selection of speaker sizes, sub woofer controls etc etc. Note on Sub Woofer Controls..... The BOSE SUB is NOT controlled through an aftermarket head unit! The sub is powered by the BOSE AMP which also powers all the door speakers. So if you wanted to have control of a SUB WOOFER through your Aftermarket Head Unit's Crossover / Audio Settings you need to hook up a sub with amplifier to one of the AUDIO INPUTS on the back of the radio.

I was going to add Sirius to my 2006 Mazda 3. From the factory with installation it was near $600.00. **** THAT!

I bought a Kenwood DDX 616 Head Unit instead for $540 bucks. That gave me BLUETOOTH, DVD, I-POD CONTROLS, SIRIUS SATELLITE, USB KEY USAGE FOR MUSIC, AND REVERSE CAMERA, GARMIN NAVIGATION if I want to add it in the future!! This radio is also DUAL ZONE so I can ADD headrest DVD screens for the passengers if I wanted to.

I actually am going to CONVERT the In Dash STOCK NAV SCREEN to play DVD Movies through my Kenwood DDX 616 using ZONE 2 and then add Headrest Screens to the rear for a total of 3 LCD screens! 4 if you count the KENWOOD 6.5 inch touchscreen.

Dollar for dollar an aftermarket radio is ABSOLUTELY the way to go if you have the BOSE SYSTEM.

To ADD I-pod to a stock head unit is a JOKE if you don;t have STOCK NAV, and fairly cheap for Mazda to do and YES your STOCK HEADUNIT WILL CONTROL THE I-POD. ( ONLY WORKS WITH CERTAIN MODEL I-PODS I-TOUCH, and I-PHONE )

There is one drawback to changing the Stock Head Unit you might not like. The center console display screen is gonna lose some features. You WILL lose the clock, the info display features, and the radio station/ cd text. If you have automatic temperature and AMB ( outisde temp ) features you WILL NOT lose those. They still work.

If you're hellbent on keeping the stock CLOCK / INFO there is a way to keep some of that.

1- plug in stock headunit and set the CLOCK OR any of the INFO screens such as mileage till next refueling or miles per gallon averaged.

2- Disconnect the STOCK headunit NOT THE DISPLAY SCREEN.

3- Connect your Aftermarket headunit

Now you'll ONLY have dead space in the direct center of the display in your center console.

DRAWBACKS:
If you disconnect the battery you'll lose the display for CLOCK / INFO and will have to take your aftermarket radio OUT and hook the STOCK headunit back up to reset this. Also to change clock for daylight savings time you need to hook the stock radio back up in order to do that WHICH SUCKS 2 times a year

This is pretty much everything you need to know about this crapola lol.

Last edited:
stock nav

jpdraven: I have the same stock setup w/ stock nav system and not using the satelite radio. Are you saying that there is a 3.5mm aux jack on the back of the stock hu that I could run a cable from for ipod if I disconnected the nav? Also you say if I want both the nav and ipod hooked up i will have to buy a switchbox to allow 2 aux inputs. What is this switchbox called so I can try to find one?

Back