Problems with Nology Hotwires

Brach

Banned
:
2003.5 MSP
I just bought some nology hotwires for my 2003.5 speed, and during idle and up to about 2,500 rpm's it runs fine until i reach 3,000. I have some serious sputtering under load. They are definetly installed correctly, so what's the deal. I also bought some new spark plugs to see if that would fix it, obviously not.

I also have another question for all you knowlegable people. I just bought a t25/t28 hybrid turbo (Disco Potato) to replace my stock t25 and would like to know how things would go with only a: ion front mount intercooler, 2.5 turboback exhaust (no cats) and a manual boost controller. everything else is stock, is it ok or do i need more upgrades.

I believe the nology wires should not be used on turbo applications. reason being is they are too hot. ngk or the similar and go a step colder than stock. I have the nology wires on my car since the very first batch they shipped out with no problems, but then again I am not turboed.

?

I dont know because i keep getting mixed opinions, some people say its better to run more spark on a turbocharged car, but some say no

Brach said:
I also have another question for all you knowlegable people. I just bought a t25/t28 hybrid turbo (Disco Potato) to replace my stock t25 and would like to know how things would go with only a: ion front mount intercooler, 2.5 turboback exhaust (no cats) and a manual boost controller. everything else is stock, is it ok or do i need more upgrades.

The only thing you would have to worry about is leaning it out if and when you up the boost. I would get some form of EMS before putting the new turbo on and upping the boost. There is a good chance you'll run into detonation when you up the boost with no EMS. Detonation = Zoom Zomm Boom. It's just too dangerous when your rods are like toothpicks.

Colder Spark for Boost can be set by the plugs no matter what wires you run.

The GT-28 is a beast. You by now have heard that the stock internals are weak, I know this because you are asking for "Safe Boost"

Safe Boost is Stock Boost.

So Now that I have said that, run whatever boost you like, but expect the worse, hope for the best.

I was just looking at getting some of these... That is till I read the installation instructions they have up on Crossover Auto:

"Due to much faster and more efficient combustion, ignition timing should not exceed factory specifications"

Dont know if that is the prob for you, but you did say you changed the plugs too???

The instructions also say that the plug gap should not exceed .040 inch

Of course you could just have a bad plug wire...Just cuz its new dont mean it works.

Brian MP5T said:
Colder Spark for Boost can be set by the plugs no matter what wires you run.
right this is tru. I just assumed he got the spark plugs from them also. if not then forget my previous post

What is the real problem, plugs too hot, or the Nology wires?
I was thinking of getting a set of Nology Hot Wires for my 03.5 speed.
I currently run Bosch 4's which have been more than fine for the last 20k miles.
I'm due for new plugs very shortly and was going to also put on the Nologies.

Listen, the nology hotwires are fine, increasing the amperage of a spark isn't going to make it "hoter" it is just going to cause the begining of the flame front to be slightly bigger.

It sounds like this kids problem has to do with his spark plugs seating properly. If the wires are not seated properly there will be a gap between the wire and the plug, which will cause that cyl. to misfire. When he goes above 3k rpm that doesn't matter as there is pumping more juice pumping through the coils and is arcing between the wire and the plug.

You also may want to check the resistance across the wires, they should be a consistant 4-6ohm's - if you see something above 10 you have a problem. If that is the case im sure the guys at Nology will replace it (lifetime warranty iirc).

On the topic of plugs, use the BKR7EIX - they are expensive, but worth it. you will end up replacing the bkr7e's every 4k miles.

nology wires work fine in the 03.5 no problems until now

Attachments

• DSC03576.JPG
    DSC03576.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • DSC03580.JPG
    DSC03580.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 882
Is there any difference between the 03 and the 03.5 setup for these wires? I read the installation for these wires and saw some pics and it showed the coils on the driver's side of the block instead of them being near the firewall on the passenger side. Is that just another place to mount them or is it different for the 03 and the 03.5?

There is a different set up between turbo and N/A applications.

I have had no issues with my nology wires.

2003-Mazda-Protege5-7113.jpg

Don't know if this still matters. When I went turbo in my protege and installed these nology wires I was getting the stuttering between 2500-3500 rpms......I took a risk and switched the wires from cylinder 2 and cylinder 3 and it corrected that issue.

No problems with Nology wires either...although I did change the spark plugs to colder ones.

MSP_timeline_016.jpg

PS.

NGK BKR6E-11

2 Ranges Colder

Just run the BKR7E's (not the -11's) 2 ranges colder (stock one are BKR5E's and NGK goes backwards how they name plug ranges.) The 11's are a wider gap.

I took my Nology wire off after a month. Google "nology problem" and see why. I was getting missfires, hesitation, you name it. I didn't believe it but it really was all because of the wires.

Back