Problem with ABS

Hey folks

Kinda new around here. Came across a problem this week, and hopefully someone can give a link or a direct answer for me.

Corksport installed a set of Eibach pro kit springs, and ever since then, my abs light is always on, and the actual abs is off! They did diagnostic on it, but came up with no error codes or anything. Do any of you know how to handle this?

Something about not messing up wheel sensors when changing out the springs comes to mind but that would throw a code I would think. I don't have ABS so that's the only idea I have about it.

I think these cars use the ring with teeth on it to sense the wheels speed. IIRC it's on where the drive shaft goes into the hub.

My best guess is to check to make sure everything is still there. It's possible they may have put something on wrong or something to that effect.

Last edited:
My guess is that they snagged one of the sensor wires and popped it off by accident.

Who did the diagnostic? Corksport or the dealer? If the ABS light is on, there should be a code.

Cork did the diog. Ran it on 4 different old and new systems, without any codes. I'm planning on taking into the dealer and just telling them it happened to come on.

I'd bet that something is now unplugged that shouldn't be. Check and see if there are any wires flopping around near the brakes/hubs.

Eric

Only solenoid malfunctions in the ABS system will trigger a code. It's possible for some manufacturers to have additional parameters, but the soleniod malfunction is the only standard code relating to ABS. The sensor being disconnected will only trigger a light. The ABS module is separate from the ECU, where the codes are stored, so it doesn't always trigger a DTC.

In short, either the sensor is unplugged, wires ripped out, or damaged. Most likely it will be the front, since the spindle does a lot of moving around during a spring install.

Last edited:
thanks guys,

I'll send this info over to corksport, and have them look at it. anyone know who is doing a "protege tuned" turbo kit? need a t-25 with 7-10lbs of boost.

Please post the information that came with the springs re: ABS so that people may make a more informed response.

I looked on Eibach's site, yet didn't find the info that was requested, just the sheet that came with the springs. Basically what was stated on the install sheet from Eibach:

"Your car may have certain accessories or features which require inspection and/or adjustment after installation of your Eibach Suspension Spring set. The qualified mechanic installing your Eibach Suspensions Springs should also inspect and where necessary, adjust:

*Self-leveling system, if your car is so equipped
*Wheel alignment such as camber, caster, toe in and toe out (may require additional components)
*Tire and/or fender clearance
*Brake Line clearance and attachment
*The sensors on your brake anti-locking or anti-skid system

So, there ya have it. Directly from Eibach.

Well, how the f*** is anyone supposed to adjust ABS sensors? Smells to me like Eibach needs to rethink their design or something. I'm just trying to figure out how in the world the car would know that your springs had been changed. It's easy to see how tire/wheel diameter imbalances could affect the system...but springs?!? I don't get it. I'm interested.

^^^
It would only know if the installer forgot to reconnect the abs wire. They are just covering their asses.

Don't hate on CS. They have been 1000% up to the task of helping me. I just have to go up there tomorrow as they are doing other work on the car. I just wanted to post and see if anyone else has had this problem in the past.

I wasn't referring to CS at all...I'm suggesting that Eibach's solution seems bogus. You can't adjust ABS sensors....

Eric

Did you ever figure out what caused your ABS light to come on?

I'm having the same problem after a rotor change. No DTC code.

Edit: Nevermind, I removed my wheel and inspected my ABS sensor and sensor rotor and noticed that the rotor was not seated in the proper position. I guess that might be a result of the pot holes here in Montreal and/or the crazy hammering that was required to remove my rusty/fused brake rotor. I also noticed lots of splashed grease... no good. :(

Last edited:
Back